the "Ghost Recon Forever" Dedicated Server

ApexMods

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was fun earlier, got 5 or 6 players on i think at one point, would have liked to be able to change mission and maybe game type, any chance of adding the remote admin password to the MOTD ? cheers

Edited by Daytrader

The password to enter the server setup screen needs to be posted somewhere for registered forum members here. Short of this the server is just going to go to waste in my opinion.

Edited by Low Profile

If it doesn't get used on a "regular" basis it is going to waste. Are you paying for it? If the forum members here don't have access to the server setup screen what's the point? Seriously. We might as well just use the server as a meeting place to decide who is going to start their own server instead. What if those of us on the server at the time don't want to play whatever mission it happens to be on? Maybe we all want to play a different mission. Maybe we'd all rather play a different gametype like Firefight. Maybe more people start joining and we decide to play some Last Man Standing. My point here is, the server will never establish a regular following unless access to the server setup screen is provided. Do yourself a favor and check out this website, http://www.dk-force.dk/. They've had a Ghost Recon server running 24/7 since 2001 which unfortunately is going offline in August of this year. It's the only active Ghost Recon server that I know of today which still has a strong following. All forum members there have access to the server password which changes every month. In fact, I took the time to register on the site and now have access to the server password as well. They make it work and have for all these years. The community here at GhostRecon.net could make it work for this server as well. Just the other day I was on the DK Force server playing Last Man Standing with 16 other people! It was like taking a trip back in time. Earlier this week I joined the server and no one else was on. I decided I wanted to play some firefights. Just accessed the server setup screen, queued up the gametype, map I wanted to play and so forth. After about 10 minutes another person joined, and then another, and then another. We played firefights on various maps for about an hour or so. Eventually we had enough people on the server to play some Last Man Standing. No script was needed. No hand holding required. One of the regulars at that point just jumped in to the server setup screen and queued up some Last Man Standing (limited respawns, primary weapons only), picked a map and away we went. It's really just that simple.

Edited by Low Profile

Yeh shame about the DK server, those guys have been offered to drop by our server so hopefully that works out good.

We can share the password amongst the forum members here, I don't see that being an issue. :)

If the forum members here don't have access to the server setup screen what's the point?

Because you can still have fun.

What if those of us on the server at the time don't want to play whatever mission it happens to be on?
Playing whatever mission it randomly selects stops people from replaying one or two maps all day. Also, if there is a map that the server just has to try to shove in your face multiple times in a row, we started using a workaround that involves a rocket. :P

Maybe we'd all rather play a different gametype like Firefight.
I can see wanting to switch between mission and firefight. But in the end, whatever.

Maybe more people start joining and we decide to play some Last Man Standing.
I only play coop, so I do not have a problem with apex's server atm, except for mods that suck up my bandwidth. And tbh, I kinda stopped checking up on it lately but it looks like he is not using any mods right now. I should probably drop by sometime when I have a few hours to spare.

If you want adversarial modes, then why not talk to the danish guys and find out what you can do to help? or instead of complaining about not having access to the password, start your own server?

*shrug*

Unrelated:

I have terrible ping to their server anyway. At least with Apex's the latency to where I am is not too bad.

Your arguments to my post Oelmuvun don't have a leg to stand on. This thread is about the GR.net server. That's the topic of discussion here. I simply posted a very sound and reasoned reply on the merits of having access to the server setup screen and how that will have a positive impact on the usefulness of the server to the Ghost Recon community here 'as a whole'.

Edited by Low Profile

So, am I to understand that a person cannot have a good time just rotating through the maplist?

I get where you are coming from, but I also appreciate that someone cannot just hop on and start dinking around with the server settings.

I hate to say that I sometimes like something locked down but in very specific cases I am not really bothered by it. In this case we have the option of blackmailing Apex too so things have a chance for change if legitimately required.

The best solution would be two servers to cater to both PvP and PvE without clashing... But I guess with the closure of one server that cannot happen anymore. :/

I am not really sure what to say at this point. We are just looking for different things.

Not content with providing the community with a great server to play Ghost Recon on Apex has also provided us all with 2 Mumble voice servers so that we can all chat properly whilst gaming. In anticipation of this I have set up a small setup guide for Mumble for those who require it.

Mumble is a simple to use and very good quality voice server but for those of you who might be having difficulties getting it all set up here is a small guide. Now I realise that not everyone will need this guide and if you are one of them don't moan about it being here, it is here to help those who may need it.

NOTE your Mumble may look slightly different to mine in the screenshots; it is simply because my version has been skinned.

1. Download the appropriate Mumble version for your system from http://mumble.sourceforge.net/
  2. Double click the installer and follow the on screen instructions to install it
  3. Plug your headset into your PC before booting up Mumble
  4. Boot up Mumble and you will be met with a server selection screen similar to this

1-15.jpg

1. Click on Add New and then fill in the boxes with the server details provided by Apex (details going up soon)

2-6.jpg

• Label is the name of the server – call it Ghost Recon Forever
  • Address is the IP address number
  • Port is the port number
  • Username is the name that you wish to be known as inside the server

1. Once you have filled all of the fields in simply hit OK
  2. Back on the server connection screen click on the server that you just added and then click on Connect and you will be met with a screen similar to this (instead of seeing SuperUser you will see your name obviously)

3-3.jpg

Now you need to set up the configuration so that you can talk to and hear other users

1. Click on Configure (at the top of the server box)
  2. Click on Audio Wizard and you will be met by the Introduction screen – click Next

4-1.jpg

1. In the drop down boxes choose your headset and mic then click Next.

5-1.jpg

• The top box is for your microphone (as you can see I am using the front microphone jack but if you are using a USB headset then you would choose that from the drop down box) The bottom box is for your headphones so choose yours from the drop down box. As I am using the front headset jack for my headset my choice is Speakers but if you are using a USB headset then you would choose that instead.
  • Make sure Use echo cancellation is ticked and make sure Enable positional audio is ticked
  • If you can’t hear yourself speak then choose another option in the drop down boxes until you can
  • Click Next

1. This screen speaks for itself, just move the slider to the far left until the voice breaks up slightly. If it doesn’t break up then slide it all the way left. Then click Next

6.jpg

1. This next screen will set your microphone to the correct level so that you don’t deafen the other users in the server. Simply move the slider to the left or right whilst talking making sure that you stay in the green area and not the red. Then click Next

7-2.jpg

1. This next screen just tells Mumble when you are not talking, first choose your chat method

8-2.jpg

• Push to talk means to say something you press a button on your keyboard that you define
  • Raw amplitude from input means that you do not need to press a button to speak, your microphone is always broadcasting

1. Now talk into the microphone. Your voice should be in the green when you are talking but very far into the red when you are not. THIS IS VITALLY IMPORTANT TO GET RIGHT. If it is in the green EVEN SLIGHTLY when you are not talking then the other users will hear literally everything around you even when you are not talking and trust me, it is extremely annoying for the other users. Slide the little slider to the left or right until you are satisfied. Then click Next

1. This next screen tells Mumble how much bandwidth to use.

9.jpg

• Balanced will be fine so choose that unless bandwidth is a real issue and if it is choose Low
  • Click on Disable Text-To-Speech and use sounds instead (or the text to speech will drive you crazy) then click Next

1. This next screen will play a voice and you should hear it travel in a circle around your head. Click on Use headphones and then click Next

10-1.jpg

1. Finished! This last screen tells you that you have successfully set up Mumble and you are ready to go into the server. Don’t bother ticking the Submit anonymous statistics to the Mumble project just go ahead and click on Finish

11.jpg

That’s it, you should never have to go through the setup again (unless you plug in a different headset or use a different USB socket than you normally do). I will put up information about skinning Mumble later if anyone wants it.

If you are still having trouble then you can find lots of video guides to setting up Mumble on YouTube such as this one http://youtu.be/X96pO9J808M.

See you in the servers :hi: