Full Ghost Recon 1 Retexturing [Project Novo]

thanks teppe!

In other news:

There will be a final testing thread set up soon. in that you will find a (near) complete, working version of Project Novo, all the information you need, screenshots, and known issues.

Please, if you could, take the time to test that BETA as it should be the last one before it's release in November and i need to know if there are ANY issues at all.

It won't be set up today, I'll wait until all desert siege maps are done, even though I'm sure Wombat50's maps will be in perfect working and looking order, it means you get a fair idea of the map's looks.

;)

Sorry for being so late with this, but I noticed some things that bother me a little in Project Novo. For example, some of the new ground textures display a distinctive tiling pattern when seen from afar. It is not really noticeable close range, but when you're standing e.g. on a hill top and look down you will see it, especially when there is little to no fog.

Then there are modifications to some maps' lighting and ground darkmaps, i.e. desaturation and/or changed brightness, probably to better accommodate the new hires ground detail textures. This leads to noticeable high-contrast borders at the edges of some maps (e.g. check around mission insertion at M01). I think you should do it the other way around and change the new textures to better fit into existing color and light schemes.

Lastly, some of the new textures are well out of the exposure range of their surroundings, meaning they appear either far too bright or far too dark. One example of being too bright is a bush in M01, IIRC. Some playing around with brightness, contrast, exposure, and in some cases also saturation should be able to fix this.

Hope you don't take this assessment as hostile, just trying to provide honest constructive feedback, because I think all that work you are doing here is just amazing, and I would love to see the best possible outcome. :thumbsup:

haha, no worries Apex, i'd much rather hear it than not.

Some ground textures do indeed have a distinct pattern, I'll try to figure out a way of getting them to be seamless without leaving traces in it's wake, the bright bush in mission 1 WAS too dark originally, so i had to change it. i may ask wombat if i can use his tree and vegetation textures actually, make it a bit more uniform as such.

i see what you mean about the contrasty areas. i have a few tricks to try first. if they don't work out then i'll start accommodating the ground textures to the darkmaps.

thanks Apex ;) tried to keep it simple this time :thumbsup:

well the idea i had for the darkmaps seems to work okay, I may, however need to add some variation in lighting to break up the flatness, and i've found a new texture that doesn't tile as evidently ;)

Edited by Zeealex

well, the ground texture i had in mind, didn't evidently tile, but it just doesn't look right on the map. the best one i have is the original leaves one, and that one is quite evident.

any tips on how to lower the contrast without losing quality? or would it be easier with a fog tweak?

If you look at the original RSE textures, e.g. m01_detail.rsb, they are almost greyscale/desaturated, and the actual color is given through the ground darkmap textures. This way the detail.rsb doesn't require much contrast and no colour, so the tiling is less obvious.

Maybe try the same or similar with your new hires textures - less saturation, less contrast, less exposure etc. to make them blend a little better. Then use the darkmaps to colorize everything. That's what RSE did to get away with the checkerboard-like tiling of ground textures.

Two Desert Siege Maps setup as their own mods for testing:

D06 GhostTown: http://www.mediafire...30tns3t9hoxa6z7

D04_Riverbed: http://www.mediafire...w327v6s6cs1i1kv

Any suggestions appreciated.

I have only tested these on my computer. I do wonder how these re-textured maps would affect online performance for the server and clients.

I agree with Apex about methods to produce less noticeable tiling. In addition, blending textures with different adjoining textures can be time consuming but always worth the effort. One method I have used to cut down on noticeable pattern with a tile-able texture is to make three layers of the texture in PS(Photoshop).

-Use a Gaussian blur of about 30(this can vary) on the middle texture.

-Use a high pass filter on the top layer and adjust the amount until the texture comes through with little or no color.

-Set the top layer blend mode to one of the following: Multiply, Overlay, Soft light or Hard light. With Multiply a levels adjustment is probably needed to lighten the texture.

This method is effective in reducing a noticeable pattern in tiled textures but if it is overdone can ruin the texture too.

edit:

I do have a liking to desaturate the ground dm but as Apex says this can lead to problems at the edge of the map. I'll go through the maps I have done and make needed adjustments.

Edited by wombat50

thanks for the input Apex and Wombat, i'll bear your methods in mind when I get home from college and have another crack at it, in the mean time, feel free to edit and feed back an example if you wish.

as for online performance considering the map files are well into the 00's in MBs at times, i can imagine it will cause considerable lag. don't quote me though

Edited by Zeealex

look mom! no tiles!

ScreenShot56-1.jpg

Bit green for my liking, but that's the darkmap talking and the texture's not the best, but it's not too bad.

ScreenShot55-1.jpg

Gave up on the leafy one, no matter what i did, it stayed the same or looked really bad i like this one though.

Edited by Zeealex

is there a way of adjusting the strength of the mipmapping?

Yes there is, but only through manually editing the options file. I wouldn't go that route to check your textures, as your "customers" for the mod probably wouldn't do that either, so the mod should look good under normal/default mipmap settings.

new sky texture for MP04. yay or nay?

Yay, but then you need to adjust fog color and density, too. Arrrgh... the work never ends, eh? :)

Novo_D05_Aurora

http://www.mediafire...hm4903micjdmn7n

Setup as a mod for testing.

post-503-0-65403000-1349605678_thumb.jpg

Lightened the foreground a tad.

Last map in DS.

In the process of deleting unnecessary files and then I will upload

the compiled DS maps. Still not satisfied with Riverbed and will change a few textures.

Edited by wombat50