Dead Space 3. Enough said.

Outside environments, a whole planet to roam, a Hive Mind and co-op? The game of all games just got better.

Dead Space 3 Announcement Trailer:

01:30 - a cover system too?

Only a reboot of the good old (The) Chaos Engine (re-titled to 'Soldiers of Fortune' for the US release) franchise could top this.

Edited by WytchDokta

I really hope there is going to be some sort of co-op option when this is released it would be the cherry on the cake of a much awaited third installment, blasting necros with a partner is just what it needs to make it even more fun. I for one cannot wait for its release lets hope its not too long until then. :)

It DOES have co-op. Sounds like you can do the campaign either in co-op or solo with the AI controlling Carver. I've also seen a screen that suggests some of the new Necromorphs are 'semi-Necromorphs' as it were - in one screen you can see one guy with a very deformed face, fully clothed, has no blade-like protrusions, but does have a gun. It's more like an armed zombie than a Necromorph, perhaps a not fully developed Necromorph, or a new evolutionary strand altogether.

Dude, when it comes out, get it on Xbox. we can team up and pwn some 'bio-recombinators' (Dead Space 1 phrase in reference to Necromorphs)

My guess is, release is sometime in 2013.

You gotta love all the kids comparing it to the Lost Planet franchise, when they are two completely different games, they aren't even anything alike. I should know, I have both Lost Planets on Xbox.

Here we go -

Discover additional story details in Dead Space 3 by playing as Earthgov soldier John Carver. Unlock new paths and new collectibles using clues only Carver can see as he deals with the trauma of his past. Together with Isaac Clarke you will fight to discover the secret to stopping the Markers.

Fighting alongside a co-op partner changes the way you play the game. You'll discover new storylines, new gameplay elements, and even new puzzles that are exclusive to co-op mode.

Play together with a friend or go it alone as Isaac Clarke

Source

Sounds like ONLY IN COOP you can play as Carver. From the info above I ascertain that when playing SP, Carver will AI controlled and there will be NO choice to choose to play either as Clarke or Carver with the AI controlling the other one. I could be wrong though.

System Requirements:

FOR WINDOWS XP (SP3), Vista (SP1) or WINDOWS 7

* 2.8 GHz processor or equivalent

* 1 GB RAM (XP), 2 GB RAM (Vista or Windows 7)

* NVIDIA GeForce 6800 or better (7300, 7600 GS, and 8500 are below minimum system requirements)

* ATI X1600 Pro or better (X1300, X1300 Pro and HD2400 are below minimum system requirements)

* 256MB Video Card and Shader Model 3.0 required* The latest version of DirectX 9.0c

* At least 10GB of hard drive space for installation, plus additional space for saved games.

Source

You're right that player 1 has to play as Clarke, but it's actually a little more complicated than that. They've built two similar stories, one with just Clarke and one with Clarke and Carver. If you play solo, you get the first version. If you play coop, you get the second one. And a friend can drop in and out at any time and it'll seamlessly switch back and forth. It's a really slick idea if they can pull it off and make it work well.

http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/dead-space-3-added-co-op-the-expensive-way-and-boy-was-that-money-worth-it

sorry Wytch so far not been tempted over to the xbox im pc through and through sad i know, dont suppose they will tempt us with a demo some time, lets hope they get the balance right with this coop mode and dont spoil a good game as has been done with other titles too many times :fingersx:

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

DS3 demo goes live on 15th January - if you are granted early access that is.

Now to get some practice in on DS2 before DS3 is released on 8th February, and to decided which weapons combinations I'll be jury rigging together in DS3. How about Seeker Rifle upper and Javelin Gun lower? Ultmiate. Sniper. Weapon.

Use the first weapon from the beginning till the end with the hardest mode.

Yes, in DS1 this nets you the 'One Gun Run' achievement/trophy.

It's is somewhat more difficult in DS2 to do this, with certain weapons and facing certain enemies - like using the Seeker Rifle against The Pack or the female Tripod boss - it's highly impractical, but can be done. In the case of The Pack, they are fast and attack in large groups, so like I said, a sniper rifle is impractical, but it can be done with skill.

A One Gun Run in DS2 with the Noobcannon, I mean Handcannon, just defeats the object. Gonna try a One Gun Run with melee only next time I think, might be fun to fight the female Tripod boss that way, and Nicole/The Marker. :rofl:

Also, in DS2 you start without a gun, and have to get your first kills by impaling enemies using improvised weapons and your kenesis module.

And by weapon combination in DS3 I don't mean inventory loadout - in DS3 you can craft your own weapons from existing weapons, by essentially attaching 2 weapons together. One such weapon is a pre-order bonus weapon that consists of a Contact Beam upper with a Line Gun forward array mounted beneath, two heavy crowd control weapons jury rigged together.

Codes for early access to the DS3 demo go live today, sent via email. What? Where's mine - I even signed up and all you say? Funny that, I said the exact same thing. And no, Visceral has NOT failed us, timezones have. You see, the codes went live at 0900 PST, which by my calculations (bearing in mind I can't count :P ) is 1700 GMT. So, those of you in the UK should check your emails later.

For those of you who didn't sign up for early access to the demo of the game of all games (and thus subsequently failing humanity :D ), the demo will be available on the 22nd January.

EDIT: I'm now playing the DS3 demo. So there. My code came through early. :)

Edited by WytchDokta

Just a bit of insight for you lot, from my demo playthrough. I'm going to try and not give too much away.

- They've gone with a Mass Effect 'Thermal Clip' style universal ammo clip feature. That is, there is only one type of ammo to pick up, and ALL weapons use that ammo. Not sure if I like this yet or not. Sure, it saves on hauling around different ammo types for different weapons, but that's not the point; if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

- Players start with DS3 suits. This is likely only or show in the demo, or there's an inconsistency in the story - the starting suit in the DS3 demo was not available in DS2. Then again, Ellie's gunship *could* have had one of these suits aboard it, but I doubt it.

- Players start with modded weapons, one is a Bulpup Rifle combined with Force Gun.

- There's a Downloadable Content tab on the main menu, indicating thath there will be future add-ons.

- Front end and menus VERY different to DS and DS2.

- The snow gets disturbed as players move through it (snow is at least ankle-deep); players leave footprints in the snow.

- There's only three weapon slots in the inventory - up, left and right. One *could* be unlocked later in the full game, BUT there is no empty HUD space beneath the three weapon slots whatsoever.

- Clarke has already met Carver on the demo, some time before the demo starts even. From the gameplay footage I've seen, Clarke *spoiler* gets 'captured' by CEC - including Carver and some other CEC guy (this guy along with Carver also appear at the end of the demo with Clarke), who claim to know Ellies whereabouts. I assume this is where Clarke first meets Carver, as it is never revealed in the demo.

- Just been playing about with upgrading RIG/weapons: Power Nodes have gone. :( Instead, the various crafting resources you can find scattered randomly about in the game have replaced the Power Node upgrade system. 'Suit Kiosks' seem to be separate from Stores now; suits are upgraded through Suit Kiosks and no longer at Workbenches. Weapon crafting is in-depth and even allows for attachments; there seems to now be more 'military' style weapons (whereas most weapons in DS/DS2 where actually mining tools rather than weapons), including shotguns. Shotgun upper with chainsaw lower, Plasma Cutter upper with Plasma Cutter lower, Sniper rifle upper with SMG lower.... you name it, you can craft it - except BFG-9000 upper with tactical nuke launcher lower.

- The cover system is pretty basic: players remain stationary in cover in order to shoot over the cover. Only horizontal objects can be used for cover; players can only shoot OVER cover, not around to the left or right of it. This may be a demo version of the cover system seeing as this is a demo and all.

- The new 'miner' type enemies are tough, and fast. The 'possessed' (don't know the word I'm looking for here (it's basically Necromorphed Unitologist soldiers that have been re-Necromorphed, as it were)) are even tougher, and share similar qualities to the Puker in DS2 - that is, these ###### keep coming at you even with their legs, head and and an arm blown off. The 'miners' can morph into other Necromorph types upon taking a certain amount of damage. One thing I have learned: when you have the option to use a crafting bench, create as much ammo as you can - DO NOT rely on finding piles of ammo scattered around the place, because ammo pickups have been infrequent for me so far, and these ###### keep coming.

- Personally, I'm willing to bet they've done a FEAR 2 thing with the demo, which is kinda what they did with the DS2 demo. That is, the demo doesn't consist of levels as such, only parts of levels seamlessly interlocked together into one level (in the DS2 demo there was a huge section of Chapter 5 (Unitology Church) missing compared to the full game.) This would explain the following inconsitencies: (1) After the crash, Ellie is missing and Clarke is frantically shouting "Ellie!" and looking for her - then suddenly at the giant drill machine, suddenly Clarke and Ellie are talking on comms with the usual banter as if they'd found each other previously, except that Ellie is still missing at the end of the demo. (2) When you first see Carver on a balcony, they both briefly converse as if they are friends and know each other - Clarke has never met Carver in DS or DS2, certainly only meets him at some point in DS3, yet he already knows this guy? (3) Carver and the other CEC guy are seen in a cutscene with Clarke at the end of the demo when The Nexus shows up, yet Clarke (in singleplayer) goes through the whole demo area alone.

Edited by WytchDokta

Might do another demo playthrough, trying different weapon combos. Might create a sniper rifle this time, with an underbarrel SMG. Still need to fully test out the melee attachments too. I guess the three weapon slots thing is because you can create two weapons in one for each slot. However, it still remains unclear what the upper weapon/equipment slot in the inventory screen is for. Most definitely wepons cannot be equipped to that slot - but that could just be the restrictions of the demo. Deffo more emphasis on limbshots on the demo too, even chest shots with the shotgun don't seem to do ######, but can blow a limb off in one shot.

Just short of three weeks to go until game release.

One thing I didn't notice before (such was much haste to play the demo): there is a singleplayer game mode entitled "Weapon Crafting"

Weapon Crafting game mode does exactly what it says on the label. You enter into a square room with a Crafting Bench. This bench is different to others in the campaign in that this one is pre-loaded with ALL weapon parts/attachments available in game, allowing you to jury rig any two weapons together into one weapon (you have two weapon slots, so that's potentially four weapons jury rigged into two weapons). In this game mode, if it can be called that, you have unlimited resources, ammo and health, and there's a nearby console (not the Xbox/PS3 type either) you can interact with to spawn random enemies into the room to create your own live fire range.

I've spent the past hour trying out nearly every available combination of jury rigged weapons and attachments - and having two of the same weapon jury rigged into one weapon (for example, Plasma Cutter upper with underbarrel Plasma Cutter) is counter productive as both barrels can't be fired together. So creating a weapon such as Pulse Rifle upper with underbarrel Sniper RIfle is much more productive. Plasma Cutter upper with underbarrel Flamethrower does look awesome though.

Also, different types of the same weapon can now be crafted:

- 'normal' (whatever 'normal' means) Plasma Cutter, rapid-fie Plasma Cutter, wide-beam Plasma Cutter

- Flamethrower, freezeray

- full auto Assault Rifle, semi-auto Assault Rifle, spread-fire Assault Rifle, Pulse rifle

.... You get the idea. Shame there's no assault shotgun though, the 'normal' shotgun has a too slow rate of fire for my liking.

Edited by WytchDokta

• 1 month later...

Started a playthrough on Classic mode today. On these different game modes, your weapons/resources/circuits/bots etc DO NOT carry over - with the exception of DLC, pre-order and bonus weapons. Although I do hear, Mk. II weapon parts/attachments do carry over, but you can't access them at Benches in Classic mode (this mode permanently locks you out from the screen where you exchange weapons/add attachments etc.). All your RIG upgrades are reset too.

Also, on these other game modes, the difficulty is locked to Hard. The enemies are much tougher, hit much harder, and drop less ammo. To put it in perspective, the very first enemy I encountered whilst playing as the false protagonist Caufman hit me once and it took out over half my health. Over all it's not so bad so far on Hard. I'm at the gift shop in Ch. 1, just before the trainyard, and I already have 9 Medpacks (small and medium), 3 medpacks (ONE stack) and 5x20 ammo stacks (20 mags per stack in each of 5 inventory slots - over 200 rounds for Plasma Cutter already.) Then again, I have not been burning through so much ammo this time, I've gone for accurate shots to dismember enemies rather than spraying and hoping for the best. The Unitologist soldiers will die from a single shot to the head from the basic Plasma Cutter on Hard difficulty. Now I just gotta make it to that Bench in Ch.3.

On Classic there is no coop, and apparently only the classic DS1 weapons can be crafted from blueprints at Benches. You also cannot add attachments or exchange parts on a weapon, on basic/DLC weapons may be used and can have circuits added to them. Looks like a 'One Gun Run' with the Planet Cracker Plasma Cutter for me then.

EDIT: At the Bench at the start of Ch.4 now. All content added by Resource Packs which I'd purchased by using up my Ration Seals in my 'standard' mode playthrough unlocked at the Bench in Ch.3, so I now have like 2,000 of each resource aready.

I hear that the Devil Horns (aka Handcannon Mk. II aka NoobQannon) that are unlocked upon completed Classic mode remain unlocked for all other New Game+ modes, making Pure Survival and Hardcore a breeze. So now you know my plan....

Edited by WytchDokta

Exactly. Yet everyone seems enraged for having to PAY for DLC, when you can get it for free with the Ration Seals.

Now if only Visceral for take a moment away from working on the Awakened DLC (Isaac & Carver are still alive. This ain't no Mass Defect 3 'oh lets kill off the protagonist for the sake of it' ideology), to fix the disappearing bots on the Prologue bug. That is, when you replay the Prologue in coop, you will find you have one less bot than normal. And it's not a coop thing, as you can play through the remainder of the chapters on coop with the maximum number of bots - three. As soon as you do the Prologue, the game seems to remove one, so you are left with two bots on that save file, even though you should have three.

Here's to hoping DS3: Awakened adds additinal bots (in the RIG inventory there are five slots for scavenger bots, but only 3 can be found in-game), and allows us to mount machine guns on the bots, increasing their functionality as 'weapons,' seeing that Visceral seems to think they are weapons (bots use up one of the weapon slots in the RIG inventory, but they cannot be used as weapons per se)

Chapter 5 on Classic difficulty now. ######ting myself about the part where the Regenerators/Deep Dig Hunters come after the player and pursue them through the next two levels. I mean, I don't the weapons I'd normally have to deal with them, and I take it it's gonna take like 15 shots to the leg to dismember one of those things on Hard. At least I've maxed out my RIG/stasis/kinesis already - Resource Pack bonuses FTW. :)

Having to get used to not using an automatic weapon on Classic. I'd normally have one with me at all times to deal with Feeder and Infector hordes, and for general purpose somewhat. However, it seems to me ammo consumption is higher on Hard/Classic mode, and when reloading half a stack of 20 mags is gone. I don't remember that happening on Normal/Standard mode.

Need to think up a strategy for dealing with Alien Necromorphs (the new Brutes) for later on in the game on Classic (especially that bit on what is it, Chapter 18, where you get spammed by a whole horde of them, including a surprise one from behind). Normally I'd hit them with my custom Seeker Rifle with underslung Rocket Launcher weapon, with a Safety Guard attachment of course. And attachments can't be used in Classic, so....

Edited by WytchDokta

Okay, made it to the drill room in Chapter 10 on my Classic playthrough. Was tough going so far, and managed to go through five medium medpacks in quick succession in the optional side missions on Chapters 5 and 9. Think I'm gonna skip the remainder of the side missions until I complete Classic and have unlocked the Devil Horns/Handcannon/NoobQannon.

I'm finding that the Evangeliser underbarrel shotgun is near enough an instagib death sentence for enemies on Hard on Classic, even with only basic +1 circuits, and even at range (shotguns in DS3 have a much more realistic range than shotguns in other games, as in you don't have to fire at point blank range to be able to hit ###### in DS3.) And even if it doesn't instagib enemies, they can be finished off very easily - one Waster (aka Fodder) wasn't killed outright by it, due to the unpredictable spread cone, and this is the funny part: I picked up his blown off leg with kinesis and threw it at him and it was enough enough to finish him off. So that's how powerful the Evangeliser shotgun is even with +1 circuits.

So yeah, now I'm using the Evangeliser rifle/shotgun as my main weapon, replacing my Plasma Cutter. Although I do find a Ripper better against Feeders. This is why I was using the Tundra Recon Plasma Cutter/Ripper up until now, and I may have to swap back to it when coming up on the remainder of the areas with Feeders. TBH, I find Pulse Rifles (especially Marauder variant due to its higher RoF than standard Pulse Rifles) chew through ammo too fast for my liking. So the semi-auto Evangeliser is a better option for ammo conservation.

Now to find out what weapon is best to drop Alien Necromorphs fast on Classic. Sure the Contact Beam might do it in a few (charged) shots, but I'm trying to spend my resources primarily on RIG upgrades, ammo, meds and circuits (in that order.) Gonna field test a weapon I haven really much on any mode yet, the Negotiator. It seems that the upper Tesla Beam deals as much, if not more, damage as the Contact Beam, but in an area of effect, plus the lower tool is a Line Gun. Might be a somewhat viable option against Alien Necromorphs. If not, spamming mines from the Detonator should suffice.

Only one further area worries now on Classic - one part of Chapter.... 18 I think, where you face off with a mixed horde of enhanced Stalkers and enhanced Wasters (Fodders.) I remember my first run that area on Normal, I burned though all my ammo. Thereafter I learned that those alien doors make for good chokepoints - and of course on this Classic run I have so far been taking full advantage of chokepoints. I'll locate all vents in a room where I know trying to activate something will cause a quarantine lockdown and you have to hold out against waves of Necromorphs. Once located I'll look for chokepoints before triggering the quarantine event. If I can funnel them in to a narrow path with my back against a wall and another wall covering one side of me then they can only attack from one angle, two at the most. Gives the Necro's only like a 45 to 90 degree attack angle in some places. It's all about the terrain - the lay of the terrain itself is in fact the best weapon. Shame more gamers do not see things in such a way.

Edited by WytchDokta

So, had to rethink loadouts once I got to Chapter 14 on Classic mode. You see, the Evangeliser shotgun can indeed instagib standard Necros, but it doesn't do ###### to enhanced Necros. I took some-one else's advice and changed my loadout to the Contact Beam and Pulse Rifle.

Even with +1 circuits, the Pulse Rifle destroys on Hard difficulty, provided you go for limbshots. And the Contact Beam is a one-hit kill for any non-boss Necro, again, provided you go for the limbs. The Contact Beam can even one-hit kill Alien Necros, even without any circuits. I gotta make a custom version of the contact beam with a custom lower tool for my New Game+ on my other save file, to serve as my anti-material rifle. But whatever, 1 more chapter to complete on Classic and then the NoobQannon, I mean Devil's Horns, will be mine. For great justice!

Edited by WytchDokta

I have completed the game already Blame, several times in fact on two other New Game+ save files, so I know what circuits and suits are unlocked etc (in fact, I have 100% game completion on one of those saves, that is 100% of all items - with the Flight, Deep Dig and Hostile Environment suits to prove it.) I just hadn't done a Classic playthrough, although I just this second completed Classic.

On my 'standard' NG+ saves I have my set of custom weapons I use anyway, and these have been built based around a number of combat scenarios faced in game, taking into consideration:

- Terrain types, and what sorts of enemies appear in that terrain, along with density of enemies in that terrain (wide open space with long sight lines and the odd Slasher here and there; tight corridors, CQB, with massed hordes of Feeders; etc)

- Engagement ranges

- Etc

I now have over 10 custom built weapons, I don't stick to one weapon, I adapt my loadout frequently to better suit the changing environments and combat conditions/situations encountered in-game. I don't stop at every Bench to swap my weapons with others in my bank. That's because it annoys me on coop when other players stop at every Bench for 2 hours making a new weapons because I can't proceed. I also cannot be doing with the whole +(insert number) CLP upgrades result in random unevern magazine sizes for weapons. 76 round Pulse Rifle magazine? No thanks. I mix it up with +1, +2 and +3 CLP upgraded to get a more random number that follows consistent increments (4's, 5's, 6's, 8's, 10's 12's, etc.) So, burst fire SMG with 85 round mag etc. Yes, please.

I've created 2 weapons in each category across several categories: assault/all-round, heavy damage/support, special purpose, CQB and sidearm/backup weapon. I also carry one main weapon and a sidearm or main weapon and special purpose 2 handed weapon. For me assault/all-round, heavy damage/support and CQB all count as main weapons. My special purpose are two-handed only, and can be taken instead of a sidearm. I'm currently creating additional sidearms (the only category that will; have more than 2 weapons to cater for this playstyle of one main weapon (essentially, two - upper weapon and lower weapon) and one sidearm.

Edited by WytchDokta

ROFL, the noobqannon is hilarious. I'm so going on coop right now and rhythmically spamming primary and alt fire in sequence to make Carver beatbox. Pew pew pew bang pew pew pew pew..... Bang pew bang bang bang pew, bang bang pew bang pew. You follow?