GR:FS Is On Steam

Games not supporting it any more seems like a pretty good reason

I Agree. Sorry to play devils advocate but it's the way things are unfortunately. OS'es will continue to upgrade and US$119 for a copy of it is not really expensive unless you have a system that dates back to hardware more than 8 years old and need to upgrade or you're under a legal age to be working part time (and too young to be playing a game like Ghost Recon to begin with) XP is getting phased out http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-ww-monthly-201105-201205

Irrespective of what anyone thinks of feels about what OS people should own, Steam is still listing the GR:FS spec as only requiring Windows XP -- less then a week from release, and if that's not the case per the most recent information from Ubisoft; what happens when people buy the game on Steam (where GR:FS PC will probably get most of its sales) and it doesn't run on Windows XP?

You might cast the blame on Steam but Ubisoft still lists the minimum OS spec as Windows XP on several of its pages (and Vista/DirectX 10 on others) and apparently Fans have been trying to contact Ubisoft to get this sorted out since the game appeared on Steam to no avail. What ever the outcome this is not a that reflects well on Ubisoft or it's regard for the PC as a gaming platform...

:no:

Edited by 101459

Ubi Community Manager to Development Team cc Ubi France

"Hey you guys, can you clarify the supported OS for GRFS PC please"

Development Team to Ubi Community Manager cc Ubi France

"Hey media peeps, yeh sure, it's Win7 only. Have a nice day!"

Ubi France to EVERYONE

"Who the hell made that decision, we need this game available on XP, STAT!!!!"

Development Team to Ubi France

"Is it too late to delay....."

:rofl:

OMG. I was right on the money about 3 weeks before they announced the delay, and a XP patch LOL!!

Wonder why everyone is abandoning XP? Guess it's because of memory utilization.

Actually the Windows NT 5.1 (Windows XP, Server 2003) memory manager is measurably more efficient and faster than what's offered in Windows NT 6.1 (Windows 7, Server 2008 R2) technically making it a much better OS for gaming than Windows 7 in that regard.

The reasons for the exodus from Windows XP has more to do with it's what's sold with new PC's, that Windows XP doesn't support DirectX 10 or 11 (officially, though there are unofficial patches to make this work), Microsoft depreciating the OS and ending support in 8 April 2014...

Honestly though if you can get the game's you like running on Windows XP there's no reason to get Windows 7, and you'll see higher frame rates, get vastly better game audio because the OS uses much more efficient and higher fidelity kernel mode audio drivers that can offload all audio DSP, and all the 'security enhancements' of Windows 7 can be had for free with a little handy work...

OMG. I was right on the money about 3 weeks before they announced the delay, and a XP patch LOL!!

Yup, you sure nailed that one; but you've been around Ubisoft long and close enough to have the pulse of the company by intuition alone better than most of the people that work there. Speaking of...how's that GR:FS review coming along?

:zorro:

Edited by 101459

Dude did you KNOW all the XP stuff, or google for it?

Now the forums are upgraded, secure and more stable, I was thinking about just waiting for GRFS PC to come out and do a combined review. :whistle:

Dude did you KNOW all the XP stuff, or google for it?

Know... I'm an OS geek, collect the things actually, and know a little about system internals...

Now the forums are upgraded, secure and more stable, I was thinking about just waiting for GRFS PC to come out and do a combined review. :whistle:

OH PLEEEEEZE! That's EVIL! You do that and... I'm not gonna tell ya how nice your forums look or work now... You should at least do a Quck Look, or teaser, you PROMISED!

PROMISED!

:zorro:

Edited by 101459

I have been looking forward to this review too. It was promised to be up weeks ago I think ;).

Seriously though, post it please, and you can add whatever is relevant to pc later on. I haven't got the game, been wanting to play it for some time, and now the delay.

Errrm... have to admit that I kinda see it as a promise too, boss. :whistle:

Come on, Rocky! Time to grow some balls grab the keyboard, throw caution to the winds and give us your no-###### assessment of Future Soldier. Honestly, you think it will really change all that much in the PC version, aside from a little graphics tweak here and there?

On the other hand, if you really don't want to post your review, maybe you want me to post one? :D

...maybe you want me to post one?

HECK YEAH! I'd take the word of a Ghost Recon Vet (and an articulate one at that) over the Shill Mill Media any day of the week! I'd also be interested to learn what you feature will be the the next game/engine that may be the locus of what Ghost Recon was to the tactical realism genre -- recognizing part of the problem of such a forward-looking prognostication is that in many ways Ghost Recon still holds the bar, is as, or more accessible as the day it was released (no built in self-obsolescence there)...

But someone's gotta, light a fire under our local hero before he decides the site needs an overhaul, and the house needs painting, and there's laundry to do, and...what else before he can post his review.

:)

Edited by 101459

Honestly though if you can get the game's you like running on Windows XP there's no reason to get Windows 7, and you'll see higher frame rates, get vastly better game audio because the OS uses much more efficient and higher fidelity kernel mode audio drivers that can offload all audio DSP.

I like the EAX in win xp on some games, doom3, somecolin mcrae rally games, rainbow six raven shield and i think Ghost Recon used EAX 2?. Most if not all game devs have abandoned the implementation of EAX they tend to use their own sound or dolby digital in todays games on pc,does windows 7 use Dolby Digital Plus ?.

Now the forums are upgraded, secure and more stable, I was thinking about just waiting for GRFS PC to come out and do a combined review.

:whistle:

Ok, now that you've thought about it: is your review that bad that you're afraid it will trash GR:FS sales? What about all your adoring Fans that feel their trust and expectations abused if if you don't publish?!

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

:rofl:

But seriously a review so late and after the fact of all product releases has an unkind label in Journalism, that's not entirely unearned...

:maybe:

Edited by 101459

• 2 weeks later...