Thinking it Over

Okay, so there's lots of ranting going on about third person views, invisibility cloaks, and the PC version having different tracer textures than the console version. This thread is not about any of that. To tell the truth it is actually getting kind of old. I want to know why we're complaining so much and not even paying any attention to the good side. We're crying about small maps and CoD style campaigns -- yet at the same time we're griping about not enough information. Contradiction after contradiction. It's getting old. Let's talk about what's good.

We can use stealth -- yeah, haven't heard that word since 2001. Ever try using stealth in CoD or BF? It either doesn't work or you get called a camping noob. I actually like this cloaking device stuff, it makes up for what you can't do in a game that you could do in reality. I don't know if all the breaking people's necks and pulling them over cliffs a la Hitman is just scripted or if you can actually do it, but it looks kind of cool if you can do it. More interesting than a superknife that kills people with a poke to the foot.

Not too linear. I'm actually not sure about the details of the campaign missions, but if it is anything like the Ghost Recon series it shouldn't have the pathetic scripted feel of CoD.

Tactical. This game encourages tactical playing. Marking targets, coordinating shots, objective-based gametypes, all that encourages teamwork.

I really don't know why everyone is so negative. If Ubisoft tried to please everyone, they couldn't anyway because everybody wants something different. This guy wants first person, but this guy says it wouldn't work and needs to be a third-person game. One of you likes the CoD cinematic feel, one of you like the Ghost Recon 1 freedom. They can't satisfy everyone, so just be happy with the good side.

I really don't know why everyone is so negative. If Ubisoft tried to please everyone, they couldn't anyway because everybody wants something different. This guy wants first person, but this guy says it wouldn't work and needs to be a third-person game. One of you likes the CoD cinematic feel, one of you like the Ghost Recon 1 freedom. They can't satisfy everyone, so just be happy with the good side.

Truer words where never spoken! :thumbsup:

I really don't know why everyone is so negative.

Really? Everyone?

If Ubisoft tried to please everyone, they couldn't anyway because everybody wants something different. This guy wants first person, but this guy says it wouldn't work and needs to be a third-person game. One of you likes the CoD cinematic feel, one of you like the Ghost Recon 1 freedom. They can't satisfy everyone, so just be happy with the good side.

There are a lot of positive threads and posts to threads -- many by the same people that you may perceive as 'negative', and much of what might be perceived as 'negative' under closer examination is merely critical... No one does anyone any favors by saying: 'The Emperor's new clothes are beautiful!' -- when in the case of GR:FS PC we've only seen the equivalent of a scary shot of the Emperor mooning us with his big scary hairy...and not a very PC friendly marketing gesture that...

If you're read these forums at any depth you would know that the largest source of disappointment is not feature specific -- it's that Ubisoft has abandoned well established and loved game design canon and it has cost them dearly more then they know. Where Activision, EA, and now BI have established definitive brand/franchises and solid design canon that both the Developers and Fans understand and appreciate; Ubisoft pursued a meandering 'me too' approach like many small 'value' brands that try to chase success by copying larger and more successful games and in doing so has forsaken what is now the largest and fastest growing demographic in gaming -- that in just three years will nearly double again.

There is a huge and growing market segment of aging Gamers that loved the genre and design canon inaugurated and sustained by the R6, Rogue Spear, and Ghost Recon brand franchises -- a game design that filled enormous void between arcade fantasy shooters like Call Of CombatCasnio, and more serious combat simulators like ArmA... This space, and the games that once filled it were recognized as 'Tactical Realism' and is uniquely accessible to a demographic of aging Gamers that while they may have less time to game, are looking for more depth, realism, with less twitch and histrionic sophomoric soap-opera action.

So for many it's more disappointment then negativity, and that Ubisoft continues to gives clear signs that Executive decision makers don't understand the market space they created, what they're doing with it, and what it has cost them. And just recently we're seeing some of the first signs from Investment Brokers and Portfolio Managers that look at the gaming space and stocks, as well as new start-ups and the level of funding they're getting (not just in the West but now Eastern Europe as well) that there are clear market signs that the Executive talent on top of a lot of the Publishing giants aren't doing a very good job of navigating the valuation of their IP and its target market...

Truer words where never spoken!

Never? Spoken? How about: "Two Plus Two Equals Four"?

As for me, I'll have a lot more positive things to say when we actually 'see' something from the PC version of the game -- in the mean time it's corroboration of a lot of the doubt and trepidation would be GR:FS PC Fans have about GR:FS that we haven't seen zippy-zip this close to the game's release...

:zorro:

Edited by 101459

Does it really matter if the title is not to your liking, just return it,... get your money back,... it's that simple!

Just walk away from the GR franchise, and don't look back.

UBIsoft will notice if a title don't do well in the market place, and if customers are walking away in droves than of course they need to change tack.

Weekly wages depend on that. :unsure:

Does it really matter if the title is not to your liking, just return it,... get your money back,... it's that simple!

Games are not returnable/refundable in North America...

:rolleyes:

Edited by 101459

What,... I don't believe it, that is some backward thinking, EB games Australia has a 2 week return policy.

So how do you guys deal with a game that for some reason or rather doesn't work on your system, even if you've kept the receipt?

What,... I don't believe it, that is some backward thinking, EB games Australia has a 2 week return policy.

So how do you guys deal with a game that for some reason or rather doesn't work on your system, even if you've kept the receipt?

Take a look at Ubisoft's forums for your answer, there are hundreds of thousands of posts, many filtered and forwarded to 'Technical Support', and if TS can't help you you're SOL, you can not get your money back -- all sales are final...

:blink:

I apologize for what I'm about to say, and I don't want to seem like I'm patronizing.

Truth is, I wouldn't purchase any other way weather it's Electronic Boutique or Harvey Norman or the local K-mart, they all have a return/refund policy.

I genuinely feel sorry for you guys!

Apologies for breaking up your conversation about ridiculous return policies. But I agree with Riley for the most part, I'm glad you've started to see things from a better light now riley :thumbsup:

However in terms of linearity, there were a couple of cases in the gameplay vids of the gampaign where movent to certain areas was restricted vastly, and you can see that the players were instinctively going to set up a position in the "out of zone" area, it will be infuriating at first as I am a firm believer that if the area is part of the actual map, you should be able to go there. It was something that annoyed me in BFBC I wanted to head up a hill a little, out of a tank's sight. But apparently I was in range of artillery attacts, yet on the first (I think) mission you are completely pounded by artillery. I didn't see sense in it, so to me as long as you can't fall through the floor due to a lack of floor model, you should be able to go there.

But like I said AT FIRST it will annoy me I'll get used to it over time.

But it's one of those pointless things. GHOSTRECON.NET IS A FAN SITE. If you don't like future soldier, no one is holding a gun to your head telling you to buy it. So if you don't like Future Soldier, mouth shut and wallet full.

Edited by Zeealex

Apologies for breaking up your conversation about ridiculous return policies.

I wouldn't say ridiculous, try consumer protectionism.

But it's one of those pointless things. GHOSTRECON.NET IS A FAN SITE. If you don't like future soldier, no one is holding a gun to your head telling you to buy it. So if you don't like Future Soldier, mouth shut and wallet full.

Where you referring the above to me, because I couldn't agree with you more?

@Apex, yeah, but not in the sense of a euphamism :P

@anthony, no I wan't don't worry :thumbsup: I was using it in a generic sense, moaning about a game that isn't even out yet is pointless, when you might as well just not acknowledge it's existance and continue with day to day life.

@anthony, no I wan't don't worry :thumbsup: I was using it in a generic sense, moaning about a game that isn't even out yet is pointless, when you might as well just not acknowledge it's existance and continue with day to day life.

Thumbs up, I like the way you think!

Yet another positive thread has been hijacked, japslapped, and molested.

What is the very thing I stress most in my first post?

This is not about crying. If you want to cry please start a blog and do it there, or post in the forums so we can enjoy watching your threads get locked. If you have something positive or constructive to say, post here, but if it is just more attempts to bring it down, I don't wanna hear it.

I never said Future Soldier was a success or that Ubisoft was doing good. Why? Because I don't believe it. I still have my same opinions on it that I did from the start. But really, if you hate it so much why not play some Ghost Recon co-op with me instead of wasting your time griping about it? If you can't do anything about it, it's best you just forget it.

Yet another positive thread has been hijacked, japslapped, and molested.

What is the very thing I stress most in my first post?

This is not about crying. If you want to cry please start a blog and do it there, or post in the forums so we can enjoy watching your threads get locked. If you have something positive or constructive to say, post here, but if it is just more attempts to bring it down, I don't wanna hear it.

I never said Future Soldier was a success or that Ubisoft was doing good. Why? Because I don't believe it. I still have my same opinions on it that I did from the start. But really, if you hate it so much why not play some Ghost Recon co-op with me instead of wasting your time griping about it? If you can't do anything about it, it's best you just forget it.

I don't know what you're so upset about Riley, no one 'hijacked' your thread -- your topic post (and even the topic title) wasn't even that positive -- with more copy dedicated to criticizing people for being critical then actually being positive about the game. There's already a thread focused on the appealing aspects of GR:FS here that you could bump, and add to... I can't speak to any 'crying' as I see nothing resembling that in evidence here...

Edited by 101459

That thread you linked to got hijacked a long time ago. It's full of complaints and debate now.

I'm not upset because people are griping in here, but really, as Zeealex said, please keep your mouth shut if you have already posted hundreds of times on how much the game that isn't even out yet sucks.

Well according to Ubisoft the PC game will be functionally "identical" to the Console except for DirectX 11 and Uplay feature support. So I guess we can rely on the Console reviews that should start to pop soon for positive information... But, depending on how DirectX 11 is 'supported' on PC, it could radically effect game-play so it shore would be nice if Ubisoft would kick more information about this our way...

This threads turning out to be very entertaining. LMAO ROTF :rofl::lol::rofl:

I can tell you what I can see right with it;

What it represents in Australia, This game alongside every other FPS available fly's in the face of a strong Australian Anti-gun lobby!

Sorry to get so geopolitical on you guys.

Edited by Anthonyf

• 2 weeks later...

Well i am looking forward to this game. I am new here but want to say: we all have different taste and also what we like or dislike in games. But i agree, if you don't like a specific game or the way it is made it not always necessary to comment on your negative point of view. As this thread is for the good i agree lets try and keep it there. What i have seen on the Xbox it looks quite good so with better graphics and what not i am sure it will be FUN and ENJOYABLE to play.

What i have seen on the Xbox it looks quite good so with better graphics and what not i am sure it will be FUN and ENJOYABLE to play.

I play the XBOX360 version and it looks great, i'm sure the PC version will look superb, i'm hoping GRFS looks great in 3D on the PC the same as Max Payne 3 is using nvidia's 3D Vision tech.