PC Version is enhanced

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just a recitation of what has already been announced i.e. there are DirectX 11 render features in the backplane for PC version... I don't want to sound cynical here, because I'm not, I like the game design we've been presented, but from the screen shots shown this looks like it will be another game that goes way overboard on the post processing effects in a manner rather reminiscent of every bit of new render candy when it first comes along -- remember when Developers were putting lens flares on everything even when you weren't looking through a lens? Well most post-processing SFX are camera effects too, not native to the human eye...

14k8vgy.jpg

Does this shot above from the PC really look better to you than the shot below from the Xbox 360?

988969_20120503_screen001.jpg

To me it looks like the post processing is ridiculously over-blown, detail is blurred, colors are saturated while color range and contrast ratios are actually lower -- and just look at all the ugly edge artifacts -- this is not an improvement...

Hopefully there will some configurability for these settings... DirectX 11 post processing effects can add a lot of cool and subtle depth, atmosphere and realism to a game when used in moderation (see CE3 and RV3 demos and screen shots for examples), but this just looks cheap.

:(

Edited by 101459

This is Ubi-mush form ubi forums:

The PC version is identical to the consoles, apart from what has been listed here http://ghost-recon.ubi.com/gr-portal...t=tcm:6-231-32. That means it uses matchmaking, does not support mod tools, it does not have dedicated servers, it DOES have LAN support.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/669038-Will-there-be-ranked-dedicated-servers-for-PC/page3

uuuhmm 101, that's an X360 Screenshot? and it's been deliberately enhanced :huh:

I'm not sure what you're asking or saying here Ms. Zeealex; the top shot is from the article cited by MeanMF in his post here and is supposed to be from GR:FS PC... While images in that article don't explicitly claim to be 'Thee Officially Sanctioned Ubisoft Screen Shots of GR:FS PC' -- it is implicit in the title of the article and the gallery...

Even if this is not an actual GR:FS PC screen shot, the one (and only) image we do have Ubisoft's 'official word' as being from the PC version of the game looks even worse; and much worse than anything shown for either console...

563982_10150921113147576_45394952575_12985756_1057203039_n.jpg

With the lowest contrast ratio, color range, and detail of any GR:FS screen shot, as well as bloom, light scatter, fog and glare so over-blown this looks more like over-exposed silver photography then anything 'realistic' -- and has to be at the stop limits of what the DX 11 backplane can do without gross anomalies...

Unless this is a depiction of the game from the perspective of the visual aftermath of being shot on the face with a shotgun multiple times, or is part of 'Mission Specs' where our Character goes looking for his glasses -- I'm at a complete loss to see anything encouraging about what's depicted here, and to understand why the game is being presented this way...

:huh:

Edited by 101459

Unless this is a depiction of the game from the perspective of the visual aftermath of being shot on the face with a shotgun multiple times, or is part of 'Mission Specs' where our Character goes looking for his glasses -- I'm at a complete loss to see anything encouraging about what's depicted here, and to understand why the game is being presented this way...

:huh:

:rofl:

Man, I just spit coffee all over the screen! I like your style, 101459, I like it very much! :notworthy:

Back on topic, I still cannot wrap my head around these neon hula hoops on the weapons - if Ubisoft is aiming for some serious visual improvements, removing those ridiculous contraptions is the first thing they need to do!

Those aren't screenshots at all, they're concept art. So I wouldn't read anything into that. Media sites just grab whatever art they can find for their articles.

the image 101459 posted is an Ubi Declared official screenshot of the PC version from the horses mouth, not some media site grabbing concept art...

Ubisoft's 'official word' as being from the PC version of the game.

I guess we have to take this pic above as a real PC screenshot. It's certainly not the best but the camera/view/angle behind the Ghosts is showing them walking out of building, the behind third person camera is still inside that's why i think it is darker, sometimes you get a lighting effect from darker areas to lighter or sunlight outdoor areas, there is blur effect too, i personally like the volumetric fog, and, it looks like the antialiasing technique is working on the wooden struts to the right. I have seen much worse than this in pc games. Can't wait for more pc info though :)

I guess we have to take this pic above as a real PC screenshot.

Yes, that was my point, but you take a rather liberal, overly optimistic and forgiving a approach to what they're showing, and more importantly ignore what they're not showing...

It's certainly not the best but the camera/view/angle behind the Ghosts is showing them walking out of building, the behind third person camera is still inside that's why i think it is darker, sometimes you get a lighting effect from darker areas to lighter or sunlight outdoor areas, there is blur effect too, i personally like the volumetric fog...

An assumption to be sure -- as we don't actually see anything that confirms the center most model that appears to be the locus of the perspective is 'inside' of anything, only that shadow is being cast on his back.

Even running with your assumption that this is an Operator exiting a dark building in to the bright sun -- the dynamic light with blur effect is absurdly cheap and ridiculously over blown; anyone that's this overcome by bright light should have stayed in the helicopter, and should be at home playing a game on PC, not running into a fray with millions of dollars of equipment strapped on, into a mission with global strategic ramifications...

What's more have you (or the re-Developers) even considered the absolutely devastating outcome this effect will have on game-play in PVP MP? Considerable portions of a maps will be completely unplayable (except by poor first time Chumps) if this level of post-preprocessing effect ducking is in place...

The level of blur, glare/bloom and light scatter makes it impossible to discern the quality of the volumetric fog effects is just cheap add-on like the NVIDA PhysX (then Ageia) was in GRAW -- so there's no way to do anything here but wait and see.

...it looks like the antialiasing technique is working on the wooden struts to the right. I have seen much worse than this in pc games. Can't wait for more pc info though

And that's crux, it doesn't; the timbers or struts to the right are perfectly vertical where no kind of anti-aliasing technique could be seen to work or is needed -- in fact the shot looks ludicrously well composed to conceal any alias artifacts with tons of overblown blur, fog and glare applied to everything, few regular edges in focus, and those that are are on perfect x/y axis...

We know the game uses deferred render because Ubisoft has confirmed as much; so we also know traditional AA won't work, but there's absolutely nothing here that proves FXAA or TXAA or AA on MRTs can work with this game either.

Summarily this screen shot conceals more then it reveals, Ubisoft could not have done a better job of showing us absolutely nothing -- it could very well and easily be the case that that the PC version of the game will be the ugliest of the three platforms...

:o

Edited by 101459

uuuhmm 101, that's an X360 Screenshot? and it's been deliberately enhanced :huh:

I'm not sure what you're asking or saying here Ms. Zeealex; the top shot is from the article cited by MeanMF in his post here

Nope, they are definitely Xbox 360, from E3 2011.

To be honest, and to put it bluntly, there has been heavy post processing applied on that particular screenshot we are currently discussing making it a completely inaccurate discussion.

A graphic designer has been in and lowered the vibrancy of the shot significantly. i can imagine the original looking more like this:

Increasedvibrancy.jpg

With MORE vibrancy, Kozak and 30k are technically still in the building, hence their shadows and the bloom on the camera.

Then how do you folks reconcile this post by Antoine of Ubisoft Kiev from the Ubisoft forums here?

I just posted the first ever screenshot of the PC version :

Please set us straigt, or get your facts straight...

:blink:

Edited by 101459

OK now I'm confused... Which screenshot are we talking about? The blurry one or the oversaturated one?

Yes...

Unfortunately several people are confusing concept art, with post processed screen shots, with post edited screen shots... In fact none of the images in this thread are 'concept art' by the game's concept Artist, his style is quite different -- the saturated shot appears to have been an PS edit of a previous screen shot that can be found on Gamespot...

Bottom line is we have only ONE screen shot that anyone from Ubisoft is claiming to be from the PC iteration of the game -- and two Ubisoft employees have corroborated that the above shot posted by Antoine is from PC iteration of the game...

Even if this is in fact one more Ubisoft mistake, it only strengthens the case that the PC iteration of this game is at best a vague and moving target neither well explained, marketed or understood by it's prospective audience, or Ubisoft's representatives...

:wacko:

Edited by 101459

I've been reading this thread with some amusement.

So what if the PC Version is enhanced?

I'm sure we all know that gaming technology is heading toward the console, and PC gaming's days are numbered so whats the problem, just deal with it FCS.

I can understand where 101459 is coming from and the concerns for what exactly is the PC version?. Well according to the official ubisoft GRFS PC forum the PC version is identical to the console version, the PC version is the enhanced version, but that is yet to be fully realised by the end user i suppose, (or until reviews of the PC version start showing up around the web). That one PC screenshot is taken by the games player at the cinematic part, so there is motion/movement which could/would cause the blur effect, you go from a short cinematic mission insertion with no control from checkpoint to checkpoint or at specific locations on the map, i think it's to give a sense of seamless/smoothly continous transition (a bit like Max Payne 3's approach) straight into the actual playing of the in-game character (kozak i believe). I would be very suprised indeed if the console version has greater graphic fidelity than the PC version. Remember though that GRFS can be played with the DirectX 9 render path so if the DX11 effects are too much maybe dx9 will remove what you don't like to see in game?. The XBOX 360 version of Splinter Cell Conviction is identical to the the PC version in just about every way (i still play both versions to date) but the PC version looks a lot sharper/smoother, i might go out on a limb and say that the PC version of SCC has a higher texture resolution. I chose SCC because of similarities in some assets/chararcters etc to GRFS, if i'm honest i can't see PC GRFS 2012 having lesser graphical fidelity than PC SCC 2010 especially in DirectX 11 or maybe even in DirectX 9.0c?. BUt yeah some more PC info wouldn't go a miss, haha.

I've been reading this thread with some amusement.

So what if the PC Version is enhanced?

I'm sure we all know that gaming technology is heading toward the console, and PC gaming's days are numbered so whats the problem, just deal with it FCS.

Actually gaming technology is heading towards the eventual death of consoles. The licensing costs associated with publishing a console game, the costs of pushing out a Patch, the time it takes to get the patch tested by the Console Certification, the outdated technology, even the fact that they're becoming more and more PC based. They're ever more so creeping towards being PCs in both price and function so in a sense You the consumer are signing the consoles death certificate even though every Media site has been repeatedly rattling off that PC gaming is dieing...

You want the console to do more and in such its becoming more and more a PC with Higher Developer Costs associated with it. The consumers and Developers are pushing for Quicker and More console releases (PS4 + Xbox720) because they keep hitting the technology wall that are the consoles outdated hardware and Sony and Microsoft are screaming NO We haven't started making the money back on R+D and the Hardware that's been subsidized by the 60.00 game price...

Actually gaming technology is heading towards the eventual death of consoles. The licensing costs associated with publishing a console game, the costs of pushing out a Patch, the time it takes to get the patch tested by the Console Certification, the outdated technology, even the fact that they're becoming more and more PC based. They're ever more so creeping towards being PCs in both price and function so in a sense You the consumer are signing the consoles death certificate even though every Media site has been repeatedly rattling off that PC gaming is dieing...

You want the console to do more and in such its becoming more and more a PC with Higher Developer Costs associated with it. The consumers and Developers are pushing for Quicker and More console releases (PS4 + Xbox720) because they keep hitting the technology wall that are the consoles outdated hardware and Sony and Microsoft are screaming NO We haven't started making the money back on R+D and the Hardware that's been subsidized by the 60.00 game price...

Well from where I sit you go into any EB store 3/4 of shelves space is devoted to console games, sadly PC titles have been relegated to one small section of the back wall as an example.

I'm the first to admit that I'm not a gaming industry boffin and most of the tech stuff you guys write about I don't have a clue but I do trust what I see on shop shelves.

Edited by Anthonyf

Yep the shop shelves tell the story and the PC section has gotten smaller and smaller every year. Console sections will feel the same pain quite soon....

How so, the GFC perhaps?

PC sales haven't really gone away, it's more that they've moved online. Console hardware & software sales are actually down this year compared to last year. The industry is definitely changing.

The industry is definitely changing.

It appears so, and so is the industries mindset. Rumours speculate the next consoles from sony and microsoft may not have an optical drive?. The pre-owned video game market is under scrutiny it appears. I know i wouldn't buy a pre-owned game then an online pass to play. With broadband being fair priced and relatively/easily accessible now days to just about everyone at home, digital online download services might eventaully do away with physical media?. Will sony allways have a free PSN where you can play online for free?.

Yeah a lot of people including many developers are hoping they go in that direction. I'm also expecting the next generation of consoles to be much more focused on media center/set top box capabilities and less so on pure gaming.