PC Version is enhanced

According to this Beefjack interview, Ghost Recon Future Soldier on the PC is to be an enhanced version, and not a straight port.

Creative director Jean-Marc Geoffroy and development director Adrian Lacey are quoted as saying

... it isn’t a straight port, on PC you need to step up your game ...Ghost Recon was founded on PC, so it’s something we’re very cautious and aware of doing right, otherwise [fans are] not happy."

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really get the point about "... it isn’t a straight port, on PC you need to step up your game", can't they just make it the same with xbox and PS3? but just in 1st person.

Not if they want to maximise sales to PC gamers who tend to avoid console ports and look for a bit more from their games than console graphics.

“It’s the fact that it isn’t a straight port,” creative director Jean-Marc Geoffroy told BeefJack. ”You have to adapt the controls [to keyboard and mouse] and more than that, you have to adapt the game to DirectX 11 and the best graphics cards, so it takes time.”

Sorry, but it sounds like a straight port to me... I hope I'm wrong though. I still might pick it up if ubi confirm SADS and anticheat, I'm not even hoping for mod support but it would seal the deal for me.

Edited by Joseph_Q

I am worried if it's not a straight port. The MW series and BF3 PC "ports" were fine with me.

If GRFS PC is made on a different engine, it will pretty much be unlike any media assets we've seen so far from Ubi. This article actually gives me hope it will be a port on the same engine used for console versions, but with enhanced DX11 graphics and KB/mouse support

In fact, I think we should all be a little worried that we have essentially had negligble info on the PC version besides a release date. You have to wonder why is Ubi so hesitant giving us more concrete info on GRFS PC?

Yeah well I know the Gunsmith's not to crash hot ether.

We'd have every right to start to worry, you pay $100.00 for the "collectors" edition only to find out that you can't install the dam thing.

I think UBIsoft will get nailed by it's customer base.

I am worried if it's not a straight port. The MW series and BF3 PC "ports" were fine with me.

If GRFS PC is made on a different engine, it will pretty much be unlike any media assets we've seen so far from Ubi. This article actually gives me hope it will be a port on the same engine used for console versions, but with enhanced DX11 graphics and KB/mouse support

In fact, I think we should all be a little worried that we have essentially had negligble info on the PC version besides a release date. You have to wonder why is Ubi so hesitant giving us more concrete info on GRFS PC?

Nobody really wants to see COD and BF mix with GR, it kills the game completely.

The third person shooter element just screams console port. Ghost Recon is a FPS, and them being too lazy to even add that element to the PC version means they probably will give nothing additional to the pc other than better graphics.

The only thing more consolish in my opinion would be the button push automatic cover system. Looks like this is only on the free to play version.

This is UBI basically saying goodbye to the PC version altogether, other than a few sales to players who have never played the series before.

Very dissapointing.

Edited by PwntUpRage

According to this Beefjack interview, Ghost Recon Future Soldier on the PC is to be an enhanced version, and not a straight port.

Creative director Jean-Marc Geoffroy and development director Adrian Lacey are quoted as saying

... it isn't a straight port, on PC you need to step up your game ...Ghost Recon was founded on PC, so it's something we're very cautious and aware of doing right, otherwise [fans are] not happy."

Encouraging, but vague words... Soon enough I guess we'll know if this is just marketing spin, and GR:FS will be the first Ghost Recon PC title to ship without important features like mod or server support...

Sans definitive PC feature support GR:FS like the R6 Vegas games still looks promising, but with so much competition coming at the same price point that does understand the PC as a platform and its audience, it won't be difficult to understand Ghost Recon PC Fans feeling snubbed by Ubisoft with GR:FS making such a wholesale departure from Ghost Recon design canon on so many levels if Ubisoft doesn't even provide means for mods, or capable on-line play...

In that event, I'll still buy GR:FS though it will probably delay the sale for a lower price point. and it will be the last straw for lot of my friends and acquaintances who won't buy at all in the absence of mod support or dedicated servers to play on.

:blink:

Edited by 101459

... it isn't a straight port, on PC you need to step up your game ...Ghost Recon was founded on PC, so it's something we're very cautious and aware of doing right, otherwise [fans are] not happy."

Encouraging, but vague words... Soon enough I guess we'll know if this is just marketing spin, and GR:FS will be the first Ghost Recon PC title to ship without important features like mod or server support...

Sans definitive PC feature support GR:FS like the R6 Vegas games still looks promising, but with so much competition coming at the same price point that does understand the PC as a platform and its audience, it won't be difficult to understand Ghost Recon PC Fans feeling snubbed by Ubisoft with GR:FS making such a wholesale departure from Ghost Recon design canon on so many levels if Ubisoft doesn't even provide means for mods, or capable on-line play...

In that event, I'll still buy GR:FS though it will probably delay the sale for a lower price point. and it will be the last straw for lot of my friends and acquaintances who won't buy at all in the absence of mod support or dedicated servers to play on.

Man, does Ubisoft give away it's hand early or what? I can see a total meltdown if the PC version is 3rd person. Ubisoft will nuke itself into an oblivion and then someone will buy it up.

Edited by Papa6

Man, does Ubisoft give away it's hand early or what? I can see a total meltdown if the PC version is 3rd person. Ubisoft will nuke itself into an oblivion and then someone will buy it up.

I don't agree... I think they've made smart use of TPP, a lot of PC Fans have favorably reacted to GR:O, and what negative reaction there is has nothing to do with it being a TPP game.

GR:FS looks like a very cool game design just like the R6 Vegas games, but like them if it's running via an awkward match-making system on listen servers only, and there's no mod support for new maps, or FPP mods etc for those that really are frustrated with aspects of the default game -- it obviously won't sustain the PC tactical realism audience much longer then the Vegas games did.

Give GR:O a whirl, while it's not Ghost Recon per the original it's an interesting and compelling game, that is surprisingly addicting...

:ph34r:

Edited by 101459

Give GR:O a whirl, while it's not Ghost Recon per the original it's an interesting and compelling game, that is surprisingly addicting...

This seems to be the main point that everyone has. 2 main views on this I see:

1: Except it for what it is and have fun.

2: Be bewildered as to how this is ghost recon.

Neutral view here right now, no beta, demo, wait for release for me.

i have noticed that a lot of guys are disappointed cuz it will be a 3rd person view game, but i haven't see see many guys posting your thoughts about it in the official forums, i am personally disappointed cuz everything points to a PORT version (3rd person), so i did let them know im NOT HAPPY with the 3rd person view in game.

like someone says: they are too lazy to make a solid PC version on First Person, so they prefer to ######ed the game making it 3rd person view, its like, imagine Battlefields or Cod turning on TPS view? (weird huh) im pretty sure the people will be screaming at forums and so, but thats why UBI can make what they want, cuz the community is kinda Calm and quite. SAD.

Edited by Crossix

i have noticed that a lot of guys are disappointed cuz it will be a 3rd person view game, but i haven't see see many guys posting your thoughts about it in the official forums, i am personally disappointed cuz everything points to a PORT version (3rd person), so i did let them know im NOT HAPPY with the 3rd person view in game.

Just as many if not more are finding the TPP very compelling as far as what it offers for PC. There have only been a few serious TPP shooters and this will be the first high-precision cover based TPP for PC. TPP has a lot to offer that FPP does not; of course whether it delivers remains to be fully seen, but GR:FS looks very promising....

More on topic I really wish we could get more specific information out of Ubisoft as to how the PC version of the game will be 'enhanced'; things that generally define the capability of the PC platform and why so many still prefer it include:

Server Browsers let players choose from available games based on an enormous constellation of variables that can only be fractionally offered in top-down control 'Match-Making Systems' that throw Players into games based on limited criterion that may have nothing to do with what a Player is looking for. Full featured Server Browsers are also much simpler to build and code to perform reliably.

Dedicated Servers -- there's no better way to sustain and balance games then always-up dedicated servers Players can choose from based on their latency and play preferences. Forcing Players into listen server matches based on limited criterion that may not remotely interest them with connection quality that can not be determined till after the fact is the fast track to PC Player disappointment and ire.

Mod Support is a feature/benefit unique to PC gaming where interest in a particular game always goes beyond the finite features a game may offer. There are 'Gamers' that buy games just to mod them, or just to play mods. Many that are attracted to the core game design of GR:FS, and it's handsome art assets will still feel it's too big of a departure from the kind of game they're willing to buy sans the means to make it into something more aligned with their interests.

As some point out; it does seem unlikely these features will be forthcoming in light of Ubisoft's radio silence regarding the PC release of GR:FS -- but even if that's the case Ubisoft could clear the air and shut down some of the cynicism by making it clear what GR:FS PC will offer, and what it will not.

On a related note if it was announced that there'd be a 'Feature Pack' that explicitly added these features, perhaps with additional maps and/or game modes to be made available later as an optional retail PC add-on as other Developer/Publishers have done to buy time and broader audience -- I for one would be cemented confidently in not only buying GR:FS PC but pre-ordering such a feature expansion to get a real PC game.

:unsure:

Edited by 101459

You can't play this game in first person. It just wouldn't work. But I hope you guys get mod support for your PC version.

And that's EXACTLY why I will not be buying it.

They never listen, these developers.

Many of you may very well like 3rd person view, but I cant stand it.

It should have been selectable in an options menu.

Again? Really? Do you realize how many other threads and posts there are about this? Have you even looked at the TPP features this game offers and have you read about why it's third person? Do you realize that FPP would work about as well in GR:FS as it would in a RTS game?

:rolleyes:

Yeah, me too -- I just don't get all the FPP ranting, foaming and frothing going on this close to release, especially when we've known it was designed to be a third-person game for over a year, and with all the features that are made to work in TPP -- that would be made useless and render this just another generic shooter with first person perspective.

What I do wonder is where Ubisoft is going with its GR:FS marketing, especially for the PC where there's just about no information, no screen shots, no video, no feature bullet list, literally zip squat...

Max Payne 3 is further out from release and there's advertising and feature marketing galore; there's even Maxine Payne 3 billboards in my city -- which is just weird, but it did get my attention; and any and every question you have about Max Payne 3 PC is answered before you ask it...

That we are getting a PC version of GR:FS, that Ubisoft is giving it some extra attention, and that the DRM will not be a total stinker is all good and welcome news, but some of these are things other Developer/Publishers have been doing right for a long time -- and it would sure be nice to see what this game looks like in action on a machine like the one I'll be playing it on -- not a console...

:zorro:

Edited by 101459

What I do wonder is where Ubisoft is going with its GR:FS marketing, especially for the PC where there's just about no information, no screen shots, no video, no feature bullet list, literally zip. Max Payne 3 is further out from release.

I came to the conclusion that Ubisoft want to push the console version first then give all the PC information in june?. Max Payne 3 PC will be released here in the UK 01/june/2012 that's two weeks before GRFS PC.

I came to the conclusion that Ubisoft want to push the console version first then give all the PC information in june?.

Ok, but if true, why? Having more product information on the PC during the console release doesn't dilute it, PC Fans aren't asking for more information then console Fans have had for nearly a year (or more), and in marketing a product concurrently across multiple platforms has always had synergistic effect on sales not a negative one... It just doesn't make sense, to me it just smells of more Ubisoft weirdness, or some of the pundits and cynics are right...

Max Payne 3 PC will be released here in the UK 01/june/2012 that's two weeks before GRFS PC.

Sure, but we've known more about Max Payne 3 PC for going on a year then we know about GR:FS PC a month out; how do you reconcile that?

Edited by 101459

why?.

No idea m8, it was the same with Splinter Cell Conviction PC back in 2010 although i think we got more PC info before release but the xbox360 version was the main selling/advertised platform, i also think it was/is the same with Assassins Creed PC games. For someone like me though i'm not too bothered because i will be playing the 360 & PS3 version first anyway.

So basically the only differences will be in the graphics rendering department? And THAT is what's supposed to make it "not a direct port from console"? Geez, they had to customize rendering even when going from Xbox to PlayStation, so what's the "special effort" for PC gamers? Maybe on PC we get to choose to connect either an Xbox or PlayStation controller as a special bonus?!?

What about PC specific controls, mod support, first person view, no-nonsense/hardcore mode, standalone dedicated servers, cheat protection... you know, stuff that matters to Ghost Recon PC gamers above the age of the average console kid?