What is Causing this to happen?

Zeealex

well done Petsfed! :thumbsup:

I saw similar pictures on slashdot when the Kinect was first hitting the market. Basically, the kinect throws out infrared beams to measure location and velocity of everything in the room, giving a sort of sheet-ghost image of what's going on. Then it fits a human skeleton to the thing that's moving the most, and that's how it determines what you're doing. Since human clothing doesn't tend to be terribly interesting in the specific infrared frequency range, it works the same as motion capture tech, but without the tracking marks glued on.

I'll bet you could glitch it by wearing a ghilly suit, removing the grate around an oscillating fan, or by playing with an unrelated remote control at the same time.

by wearing a ghilly suit, removing the grate around an oscillating fan, or by playing with an unrelated remote control at the same time

Putting your finger in an electric socket would also help. huh.gif

And I still don't understand what's even going on. rofl.gif What's this picture all about?

Edited by rileyfletcher_01

A laser range-finder works by bouncing a beam of light off an object, and measuring the transit time of the light. Radar works either by sending out many such beams (this time in the radio frequencies) and measuring the change in transit time, or by measuring the frequency shift of the object (this is hard to do for very slow objects).

The kinect does the same thing, but with infrared beams. What you're seeing is the dozens (hundreds?) of beams hitting somebody's hand, as viewed through e.g. night vision goggles. The xBox then fits what it sees with a human skeleton, and therefore translates your gestures into commands.

I believe (although I haven't verified this yet) that the reason for the change in xBox hardware in part involved optimizing the hardware for both image analysis and very fast curve-fitting. Even then, the delay between your gesture and the video game response is still noticeable, although slight.