ghost recon.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close

So as I still got an 8 years old pc, I decided to instal ghost recon once again. I read many topics in other websites, hope that I'll get some help here.

First it did not allowed me to install it, so I followed the instructions in this topic: http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5564 .

Finally managed to install it with Island Thunder, but when I try to start it, I get this error: "ghost recon.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close"

And that's it, have no idea what to do... :help::please:

Were you able to play the game before installing Island Thunder?

Sometimes it can be caused by the intro videos of the game.

If you have an options.xml in:

Program Files\Red Storm Entertainment\Ghost Recon

go to this line:

<ShowIntro>TRUE</ShowIntro>

and change TRUE to FALSE.

Sometimes there will be no options.xml because it is only written on successful launch the first time the game is played.

In this case download:

My options.xml link (goes in Program Files\Red Storm Entertainment\Ghost Recon)

and see if that allows the game to start.

Here's another stickied link on:

Uninstalling/Re-installing GR link

Wow, thanks for the fast , sorry for the late answer. Yes, I had Ghost Recon with Desert Siege and Thunder Island installed all together.

EDIT: Just tried what you suggested, downloaded and placed the options.xml, nothing worked, it's in FALSE, still receive the same error when I start the game.

Edited by 6

it's telling me that Options .xml could not be read and is using defaults would you mind MANUALLY setting the <showintro>FALSE</ShowIntro> rather than using the downloaded version? (sorry Wombat :/)

The game is setting the options back to default which means ShowIntro is Reverted back to TRUE rather than FALSE

Edited by Zeealex

Reinstalled Ghost Recon, and originally got no options.xml, so placed wombat's options.xml, and set <showintro>FALSE</ShowIntro> manually, stil got the same problem.

Years ago I was able to play this game with no problems...

About the latest install of Ghost Recon:

-Is the expansion pack Desert Siege installed along with the Island Thunder expansion?

-What patches have been applied?

-Is this a download version for example from Steam. If not Is it being installed with a Gold Pack containing all the expansions. Or three separate discs; one for GR, Desert Siege, and Island Thunder?

Regards

Edited by wombat50

Hi, sry to see the problems. The log files do not help much.

what are your system specs?

Can we confirm that you did in the following order:

Installed ghost recon

Installed desert seige

Installed island thunder

Installed patch 1.4

Yep, crash logs were posted several posts up.

Looks like you are missing desert siege. This contains patch 1.3 content. If you do not have this, then you must install patch 1.3 before patch 1.4.

Looks like you will need to do a clean uninstall, and start again. Pls let us know it is the problem.

Just installed Gr again with DS and IT in this order, worked well, but had to switch my antivirus off (avast!) to be able to play it, as it didn't let me to.

Then installed the 1.4 patch, and got the same error. Any way to make avast tolerate the game, or do I have to do something else in the installation?

Hmm, you can install this game to a thumb drive and do not even need the registry files. Disc in drive, plug usb stick in, and play. I have no idea about avast, never used it. Have you tried unplugging the internet cable, disabling avast and trying?

Is it possible the 1.4 patch used is corrupt. Where was the 1.4 downloaded from?

I understand that you have three discs. One for the original game, one for DS and one for IT.

They all have their own jewel case and are not contained in one jewel case.

I ask because I'm not sure if all Gold Editions like mine contain only 2 discs.

My Gold Edition had 2 discs and contained all the patches.

The only thing I would have done differently was to check the version number in the lower right hand corner of the games main menu to make sure it was version 1.3 before installing the 1.4 patch.

Edited by wombat50

If I switch the antivirus off, then it works, but it might be dangerous, who knows what program might activate itself just waiting for it.

1.4 patch was downloaded from here, I think it's safe, but the game runs only without it (and with antivirus off).

Installing to usb...well if it worked years ago, I think it should work now in my pc as well, and it does if I switch off the antivirus, only need to solve that one somehow.

Okay, thanks to you guys I managed to install it correctly in this order: GR, DS and IT. No patches or anything, and avast is no longer blocking it. The only problem left is that I played the game in the morning, and when I quit, and tryed to switch off the pc, I got blue screen. Tryed to restart it twice, only the third worked, always got blue screen.

Thank you guys once again, hope it happened only once, if not...then I'll post again

Till that... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl::o=