Did anyone figure out how to disable death text messages?

Ok, the link to skyclad's notext mod: http://www.gamefront.com/files/service/thankyou?id=21389991

Now, this mod should eliminate the text for the gold edition expansions. However, for other mods, you'll be required to remove the names yourself. Trust me, it's np.

Here's how: Let's take the Island Thunder expansion as an example. What he did to remove the names was to put into the notext mod's Actor folder, copies of the opfor actor files with the names removed.

So you go to C:\Red Storm Entertainment\Ghost Recon\Mods\Mp2\Actor or to the Mod directory for your favorite mod that you're using. You open the opfor files. What I do is highlight 10 at a time, right click them, and click on Open. This way you stream-line the process a bit and it's a little less of a headache.

Anyway open them up and you'll see at the top something like :

<ActorFile>

<VersionNumber>1.000000</VersionNumber>

<ArmorLevel>2</ArmorLevel>

<FolderName/>

<ActorName>a Georgian Rebel</ActorName>

<ClassName>demolitions</ClassName>

Delete actor name "a Georgian Rebel". Save, close and move to the next one.

I like CTRL S and ALT F4 for this process, because it's quicker than the mouse movements and you can get a rhythm easier.

Anyway, do this for the opfor of your favorite mods and just keep the Actor folder of each mod that you do this for within the notext mod folder. When you switch up mods, ust rename the Actor folder that you're no longer using to say, "Centcom Actor" or whatever and then the one you're switching to as the "Actor" folder.

Really not too bad, so worth it. The gameplay is so much cooler. I love walking around corners and seeing enemies dropping to the ground and thinking, "Charlie got that one." Or not being sure how many or if any my frags killed anyone in a room. Or fragging behind a boulder and going to check if it's clear and the first thing I see is the blood pool.

It's also much cooler having to use binocs on long distance engagements, it increases immersion and makes playing GR that much better.

Of course, players will have to remove their in-game names as well, but for ppl on TS it's np. It's so much more immersive that now it's the only way to play for me.

My name on xfire is 'markami' if you use it. I haven't been able to play this in coop yet, just offline, but I really want to see how it plays with others.

What I do is highlight 10 at a time, right click them, and click on Open. This way you stream-line the process a bit and it's a little less of a headache.

Check out TextPad ... you can open all of the files at once, record a macro of making the change, and then play it back for all of the open files (WHOSH!), then "Save All". Bam. Done.

Thanks for all the info! I think I have it totally figured out:

Every time an enemey is killed in co-op, you see the following messages:

Alpha: Enemy soldier down

DefPlayer has eliminated a bad guy

As you've noted, editing the opfor files by removing their names gets rid of the "a bad guy" portion of the message. By removing your multiplayer name in the game options, you also remove the "DefPlayer" portion of the message.

That leaves you with the following every time a kill is made:

Alpha: Enemy soldier down

has eliminated

I just popped into the STRINGS.RES file with a hex editor and got rid of those strings ("Brovo:" and "Charlie:" as well)

Presto, not a single character apprears on screen when a kill is made. As long as the other co-op players remove their names as well, you should be good to go.

I'm attaching my modified STRINGS.RES file ... rename yours and copy this one into the Ghost Recon\Data\Shell folder.

So as far as I can tell (at 03:30 am local time), this is a solved issue. Did I miss something?

-Doc

EDIT: All of the pieces for this solution are in this thread I think ... putting them all together is the solution.

EDIT 2: It's a shame that you can't simply turn off the message portion of the HUD the way that you can turn off the left and right HUD elements independently. The messages go away if you use F9 to get rid of everything, so it stands to reason that they could have included one more F-key for killing the messages.

EDIT3: Here's what I ended up doing in TextPad to get rid of the opfor actor names:

1. Load all of the .atr files into TextPad at the same time.

2. Bring up the Search and Replace tool.

3. Tick the "Regular expression" tickbox

4. Tick the "In all documents" tickbox

5. Search for Name\>.*</Actor and replace it with Name><Actor (Click "Replace all")

6. File > Save all

7. File > Close all

The whole thing takes about 60 seconds to modify all of the files.

STRINGS.RES.zip

Edited by Doc. Caliban

EDIT 2: It's a shame that you can't simply turn off the message portion of the HUD the way that you can turn off the left and right HUD elements independently. The messages go away if you use F9 to get rid of everything, so it stands to reason that they could have included one more F-key for killing the messages.

A shame,I agree, it's something that seems simple enough.

Here it is in Mod format. (File attached)

The mod simply contains all of the opfor .atr files from Origmiss, MP1, and MP2 with the ActorName value erased.

To get rid of the rest of the message, you have to make a backup copy of your \Ghost Recon\Data\Shell\STRINGS.RES file and replace it with the one inclueded in the mod folder.

AND you have to remove your multiplayer name in the game options!

I only cleared up things that have to do with the messages seen in co-op, so if you still see some things in SP play, let me know and I'll update the STRINGS.RES file to get rid of them.

BTW, I also got rid of the "Armor spotted" string... the game shouldn't have to tell you that there's a tank in your line of sight!

Enjoy,

-Doc

No Death Messages.zip

Edited by Doc. Caliban

:whistle:

full copy of a mod with all the text and speach removed

Not sure how to rephrase that. No on screen messages that someone has been killed, no audio messages to the same. Little O/T but the death animations in this game are far superior to most new games.

No, I asking to cover GR/DS/IT only. We can all incorparate this into mods. Like it a lot.

What I have so far is a start ... http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=58221&st=15#entry592528

What I need from you guys is a list of the text strings that you want removed ... I haven't played SP for years, so I really don't know what all needs to go, and I have to have the strings so I can find them in the hex editor to remove them.

We can start with the strings, and then as RileyFletcher_01 did, we can start replacing all the needed .wav files with blanks as well. It will be an easy mod to make now that we have all the parts figured out.

-Doc

Not sure how to rephrase that. No on screen messages that someone has been killed, no audio messages to the same. Little O/T but the death animations in this game are far superior to most new games.

I love the animations in this game ... absolutely.

I just meant that, not playing SP for a long time, if you guys can give me a list of all of the actual strings you want to not show up on the screen, I'll make the changes to the strings.res that I posted earlier in the thread.

If we can ID all the wav files, we can do what RileyFletcher_01 did and replace them with blanks.

-Doc

I someone finds the time, Heroes Unleashed contains all of this, so it would be just a matter of extracting from GRHU and repackaging what is needed/wanted in a new compact mod. In GRHU, on-screen kill confirmation messages are stripped from the STRINGS.RES, actor names are removed, wave sound files are replaced by blanks etc., so most of the work is already done.

:whistle:

full copy of a mod with all the text and speach removed

I notice that I am getting better at recognizing the 'body language' of the kill shots. Without the text, I see that the animations are quite good. A well earned kill is often much more satisfying than I remember them being before. I can't play without the mod now.

I notice that I am getting better at recognizing the 'body language' of the kill shots. Without the text, I see that the animations are quite good. A well earned kill is often much more satisfying than I remember them being before. I can't play without the mod now.

It changes the whole game, doesn't it? I love it!

I'm attaching the latest version, which contains the strings.res from Heroes Unleashed with a few more strings edited out of it, and the actor files with the names removed.

IMPORTANT NOTE FOR MULTIPLAYER USE: If you leave your player name blank in the game options, people's games will crash during MP when someone makes a kill. To get around this, you have to rename your character using SPACES. (any number will do). That prevents the crash and the mod will work perfectly in MP. Here's the kicker: the game will change the player name back to 'nul' (nothing at all) every time you restart Ghost Recon which means that you have to remember to rename your MP character before going into MP play. (If anyone knows a way around that...)

-Doc

No Death Messages.zip

Perhaps try making the options.xml file read-only.

Good idea!

We tested it and GR still nulls out the name in-game, so it must be reading the XML, rejecting the spaces and nulling the name, and then saving that when you exit. One of my biddies suggested trying extended characters that the game might accept but not be able to display, such as ALT+0160, but the game replaces those with either question marks, or gibberish.

I then tried to find a console command that sets the name, thinking that I could add that to the script of each mission. It would be a little tedious, but would save all 5 of us from having to do it every time the game starts. I was not able to find anything though.

So at this point we still have to remember to change the name to spaces manually, which while not idea, is really not a big deal, and it's more than worth it.

-Doc

Did you edit the file in Notepad, make it read only, THEN start the game?

Nope.

TextPad. ;-)

Yes, edited the file, added the spaces, saved it, changed the attribute, closed TextEdit, launched the game. It reads the file and rejects the spaces, nulling out the name in the process. The RO attribute on the file just keeps it from removing the name from the file again.

-Doc

• 4 years later...

After a 4 year period with little GR, I'm back into the game and was trying to figure out why my buddy and I couldn't get the MP working.  I'm glad I came across this topic by accident.  The blank spaces for the MP name explains the crash upon the kill.  Thanks Doc, are you still playing sometimes?  

I can't find the no death messages file in the downloads, Can you upload it again if you still have it Doc?

Edited by MarkAm_i

On 1/9/2017 at 19:01, MarkAm_i said:

After a 4 year period with little GR, I'm back into the game and was trying to figure out why my buddy and I couldn't get the MP working.  I'm glad I came across this topic by accident.  The blank spaces for the MP name explains the crash upon the kill.  Thanks Doc, are you still playing sometimes?  

I can't find the no death messages file in the downloads, Can you upload it again if you still have it Doc?

Howdy!   As it is, I just finally started learning how to cobble missions together in Arma 3, and with that, I think I may finally be done with GR.  Now, having said that, the first missions I've been making are largely inspired by GR missions.  :-)  

Fight the good fight!

-Doc