3rd Person - Just on Console or PC too? Is it a deal breaker?

Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I don't see this topic being discussed but if my search missed it accept my apologies.

3rd person view. Is that console only or is it also on the PC? Does anyone know?

If 3rd person on the PC, is it a big deal do you think? My first thought is F that 3rd person crap but after viewing some of the videos I'm not too sure it will be ALL bad.

Cheers,

Frank

I don't see this topic being discussed but if my search missed it accept my apologies.

There is mention (complaints mostly), but no PC focused topics afik...

3rd person view. Is that console only or is it also on the PC? Does anyone know?

Again, as far as I know, there's been no official statement that the PC version of the game will be any different then the Console releases; it seems reasonable to assume that it will be a port and that PC and Console builds of the game will offer feature parity unless or until Ubisoft says otherwise.

If 3rd person on the PC, is it a big deal do you think? My first thought is F that 3rd person crap but after viewing some of the videos I'm not too sure it will be ALL bad.

In my opinion, TPP doesn't have to be a deal breaker for GR:FS to be a compelling and appealing PC game... I think the issue that most of us have here is that the Clancy games have for some time gone so far off script of Original Ghost Recon and R6 design canon, that for some people TPP is just 'one more thing' or one thing too many cementing the belief there are no decision makers at Ubisoft that understand or care about genre that Ghost Recon was so instrumental in establishing.

TPP can look good, play well, be immersive, and offer all the depth of play that an FPP offers -- it can be a 'game changer' with respect to some aspects of game design, and much of that can be positive -- we'll just have to wait and see though how this plays out for GR:FS...

:unsure:

Edited by 101459

hi all i

say there releaseing ghost recon online with HOPE that the pc players will ajust to 3rd person but its not going to work ,they had a realy good thing with graw ,graw2 ive played most modern fps s and none and i do mean none have that feel like graw2 we dont want to see a movie and follow a cross in the middle of the screen we want to b in it, im fed up buying games that look good ie call of duty and other games that are run and gun played and got bored in a few weeks or months evrey game made these days 3rd person is just like the rest . played graw2 pc for years and still play and have fun i think ubisoft has lost it . b suprized if for the pc GR FS is any thing but 3rd person but would like to see somthing like GRAW2 I DOWT IT VERY MUCH! SHAME.

Edited by SNAKEDOC

hi all i

say there releaseing ghost recon online with HOPE that the pc players will ajust to 3rd person but its not going to work ,they had a realy good thing with graw ,graw2 ive played most modern fps s and none and i do mean none have that feel like graw2 we dont want to see a movie and follow a cross in the middle of the screen we want to b in it, im fed up buying games that look good ie call of duty and other games that are run and gun played and got bored in a few weeks or months evrey game made these days 3rd person is just like the rest . played graw2 pc for years and still play and have fun i think ubisoft has lost it . b suprized if for the pc GR FS is any thing but 3rd person but would like to see somthing like GRAW2 I DOWT IT VERY MUCH! SHAME.

It would be a deal breaker IMHO. GR for the PC was always a FPS, which the "FP" of "FPS" stands for first person and not third person. We have enjoyed being in the action from the FP point of view and anything less would make this game DOA.

It really has nothing to do with PC vs. Console.. It's more tactical vs. arcade. 3rd person view radically changes the tactics that work well. The dominant strategy tends to be sitting behind a corner or a rock waiting until you can see somebody, then popping out and shooting them. It's very effective, and in my opinion pretty boring and cheap. You can see this tactic being used pretty heavily in some of the MP videos that they've released already, so I have no reason to believe that they've done much to counter it.

in my Opinion I think Ubisosofts Shift to a Third Person View in GR:FS is stupid. What ever happened to realism were GR was actually a sim in some way and not some arcade game? They say they want to make it as "AUTHENTIC" as possible and in my mind a Third Person View makes it less "Authentic" & unrealistic because if you were a real soldier you would not be able to see yourself. YOU HAVE TO SEE THE BATTLEFIELD LIKE A REAL SOLDIER WOULD! Through the soldiers eyes! I think a lot of people would agree with me here.

That's just my Opinion on the subject.

Thanks.

Off topic, sorry, but Papa6, you wouldn't be [NH]6P (Peter) from the Nighthawks server, would you? Just would be quite a coincidence, seeing as you have a very similar name.

no but thanks for asking. feel free to message Rocky about me. I apologize if my being opinionated offends anyone

I am feeling a trend coming on, laborate more here and help with the... PVSCTPV GR - FS - PC - WARNING :rofl:

Why? This thread was on the forum first, and has less of an agenda going...

Anyone that's seriously 'into' the tactical realism genre knows that the very first RSE/Clancy R6 and Rogue Spear games offered TPP, and there was plenty of kicking & screaming histrionics trumpeting 'the end of the Clancy games & universe' when it was revealed that Ghost Recon would have a 'Ghost Perspective' with 'no FPWV'...

Today that change is lauded as one that helped define the genera, as the 'Ghost Perspective' allowed for the level of zoom required to overcome pixelation limits to realistic view distance, and allows for much more realistic ranges of engagement in Ghost Recon then games that came before it and many since.

It's at least worth considering a few of the many successful tactical realism games and simulators that offer a third person perspective, that play well and certainly more realistically then run of the mill 'realism' first person shooters:

· Operation Flashpoint

· Armed Assault 1, 2, & four expansions (must have worked)

· Rainbow Six

· Rogue Spear & Four Expansions

· The Conflict Games

· VBS 1 & 2

· RTI

· Sniper Elite 1 & 2

· Hidden & Dangerous 1, 2 & Sabre Squadron

· Tactical Strike

· Line Of Sight: Vietnam

· Elite Warriors: Vietnam

· Deadly Dozen: Pacific Theater

· R6 Vegas 1 & 2 (in cover mode)

These are well regarded games and sims for their tactical feature rich design, and a third person perspective hasn't detracted from that -- it's been an enabler of more realistic squad maneuver. Add to that virtually all these games were expanded and kept TPS so something must be working...

I'm not saying this will be the case with GR:FS, but there are certainly bigger fish to fry as far as the game's prospective limitations then it's use of TPP...

:blink:

Edited by 101459

Yea. For me, between TPP and UBI's DRM crap :nono: , this kills it for me. All I can do now, is wait for the next installment after this one and hope UBI figures it out.

Ghost Recon has evolved into something defferent then it once was. Like the difference between dinosours and birds. :(

OldGhost.

Edited by OldGhost

I don't think TPP is a deal breaker. That's complete rubbish. My point? Ghost Recon has, and always been all about stealth & tactics. And what other game embodies those two traits successfully in Third Person only?

Splinter Cell.

I think the series needs a new breath of fresh air pumped into it rather than more of the same. Combining the aspects of Splinter Cell with Ghost Recon would make the PERFECT game, think about it.

Regardless, it's going to be TPP no matter what you all say, its about as useless an argument as the "Who shot first: Greedo or Han Solo" argument. Just alot of first rate nerd rage coming off sounding like white noise. Get over it.

I don't think TPP is a deal breaker. That's complete rubbish. My point? Ghost Recon has, and always been all about stealth & tactics. And what other game embodies those two traits successfully in Third Person only? Splinter Cell.

Well said! And this is why the mil-sim community pretty much plays exclusively in third person; there's a lot of proprioceptive, peripheral and depth cues you don't get in an FPP that are made up for in TPP. In a TPP you can as easily and effortlessly determine your have cover and from what lines of fire, you can similarly setup better with a fire team for more effective fire.

I think the series needs a new breath of fresh air pumped into it rather than more of the same. Combining the aspects of Splinter Cell with Ghost Recon would make the PERFECT game, think about it.

I agree and disagree; I've always thought some of Splinter Cell's mechanics would make an excellent squad tactical special forces shooter as well -- but I'm sympathetic to some of the ire of Ghost Recon Fans who have a sense of a genre lost. Ghost Recon is the game that defined the tactical realism genre for a lot of people, and it does have genre defining features and capability no other game since has come close to offering, so I too well understand Fans that are sad that Ubisoft has dropped the ball on Ghost Recon design canon.

Regardless, it's going to be TPP no matter what you all say, its about as useless an argument as the "Who shot first: Greedo or Han Solo" argument.

It's true, the game's design was a forgone conclusion long ago -- but again it is sad to see the tactical realism design that RSE pioneered, that was so successful, rather lost to the world of gaming... Ghost Recon still stands as a high water mark for a lot of firsts, and while GR:FS may turn out to be quite a good game, I'm sure Ghost Recon will still hold its place as the standard bearer for many aspects of tactical realism and depth of play.

Just alot of first rate nerd rage coming off sounding like white noise. Get over it.

Weeeell hey, we're all Fans of the same stuff here, so none of us should have to move too far mentally to appreciate what the other guy is saying... Some of us here have a substantial material investment in Ghost Recon over the years.

:)

Edited by 101459

While I have liked a few 3rd person games,I would have liked them better as first person. UBI's going to do it their way no matter what. To hell with the true GR fans.

Considering that third person GRAW (consoles) is better than first person GRAW (PC)

I think that Future Soldier is good in third person.

Edited by AlHudson

Mass effect and a a few other fun games are good in 3rd person. This game is supposed to be a fun game too. Tactical FPS games are a different thing. Such a shame to see ghost recon leave the real tactical shooter behind. Sure it will be fun though.

GR2 and both console GRAWs have had 1st person options, and have allowed the server host to force all players in the room into 1st person mode. It's the only way a lot of people played the game, and IMO it was a far better multiplayer experience. But this time around they're not giving us that option - it's 3rd person or nothing.

While I have liked a few 3rd person games,I would have liked them better as first person. UBI's going to do it their way no matter what. To hell with the true GR fans.

Considering that third person GRAW (consoles) is better than first person GRAW (PC)

I think that Future Soldier is good in third person.

no for me mate, Third Person is not definitely for me. i tried GRAW2 on console and PC and guess which one still playing? GRAW2 PC FPS.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyways for good or for bad Ubi already made a decision.

Still are awesome third person games and seems that among young third person is really popular now

Has UBI made a definite decision regarding the PC view ?

I have personally never enjoyed any 3rd person perspective shooter.

• 3 weeks later...

If 3rd person on the PC, is it a big deal do you think?.

Future soldier is a cover based third person shooter, looks fun, i like the arma series in third person mode. Third person perspective was implemented in Ghost Recon 2 on the consoles, except for the first game it's allways been this way on consoles, infact i think it suits the consoles better this way. PC would of been great for first person with the option to change to first person. I guess i personaly don't mind anymore as long as the game is fun. I would of prefered a Ghost Recon remake on the windows platform, it looks like everyone wants a different perspective for Ghost Recon, hahaha!. I'll allways have a soft spot for Ubisoft's Ghost Recon, no matter what they give us, it's a day one purchase for me, can't wait if i'm honest. there isn't a lot to choose from nowadays, ArmA 3 has been pused back till late 2012, can't wait though, just going to enjoy Ghost Recon Future Soldier for what it is and not for what it isn't.

• 2 weeks later...

I sort of switched over to the console versions because the PC versions have been so strange for such a long period of time. I am very old school, like many here. I loved the original R6 games before RS was bought out. I think there is something to be offered in the newer incarnations of the games, but for me those benefits are geared for a console player. I liked GRAW1 & 2 on the PS3, as well as the PC. Very different experiences mind you, but I liked them all. I am looking forward to this game, and will end up buying the PS3 version on release day, and probably the PC version a bit later on after I scan forums and see if there is a reason to purchase it.

Haven't been here in ages... This may be the first time I have posted in several years! :P

Edited by kingotnw

Its simple for me, GR and RAVEN series are tactical games,(where u aren’t supposed to see over objects or around corners) made for players who enjoy playing as a clan, FPS games are supposed to give that.

3º Person Views are used for games that are not tactical and need a remote controller, i buy games for my console but not FPS games, and the same thing apply to my PC i don’t buy 3º Person View games for my PC.

So as i see it, if u make a game that is similar to a console game, u only sell it for consoles, and again you leave the PC gamers, that made this series a must have, sailing away.

What You as a company must also understand is that, people that played games especially FPS games, in the past 15 years are the ones that today have the money to buy your games, as a parent or for himself.

So u should think about the old farts that made What you are today and give us what we want.

GRAW3 TACTICAL GAME FPS

i can’t believe that u guys that had, for years great FPS games, and sold them to us the old gamers had forgotten the way to make games. Go back to GR, GRAW, GRAW2, RAVEN SHIELD and make the same game with new Graphics, that’s all it takes we will buy them all.

REMEMBER THIS GREAT GAMES DONT NEED AN OVERALL THEY GEST NEED A TWICK

Its simple for me, GR and RAVEN series are tactical games,(where u aren’t supposed to see over objects or around corners) made for players who enjoy playing as a clan, FPS games are supposed to give that.

3º Person Views are used for games that are not tactical and need a remote controller, i buy games for my console but not FPS games, and the same thing apply to my PC i don’t buy 3º Person View games for my PC.

So as i see it, if u make a game that is similar to a console game, u only sell it for consoles, and again you leave the PC gamers, that made this series a must have, sailing away.

What You as a company must also understand is that, people that played games especially FPS games, in the past 15 years are the ones that today have the money to buy your games, as a parent or for himself.

So u should think about the old farts that made What you are today and give us what we want.

GRAW3 TACTICAL GAME FPS

i can’t believe that u guys that had, for years great FPS games, and sold them to us the old gamers had forgotten the way to make games. Go back to GR, GRAW, GRAW2, RAVEN SHIELD and make the same game with new Graphics, that’s all it takes we will buy them all.

REMEMBER THIS GREAT GAMES DONT NEED AN OVERALL THEY GEST NEED A TWICK

The perfect Game

Raven Shield´s playability, maps, THE SOUND WELL PROGRAMED AND PLACED, etc

Add the slide of GRAW 1 (also had very well programed sound, yes I am a sound hoe :P)

Do it all with a new graphics engine, like Crysis for example

NO bunnies hopping around....

And presto a best seller, a block buster, a master piece....

Edited by JohnTC02
Post edited, your reply was inside the quoted text.