Blowing stuff up...

Tollen

The Mi8 in the IT map is dynamic, isnät it? I though they made it like a map object that could be destroyed.

Well it can be blown up with an AT-4. So look in that mission file and see if there are effects set at the Mi8, haven't looked myslef, and if there is that is how you have to do it.

Yeah it's a bit unique that chopper as the explosion effects seem to be tagged to the object, ie; they are not placed with scripting.

Even more interesting is that there are several dynamic building objects on this map which can be destroyed with a Damage Effect - but not with rockets it would seem. I unleashed a barrage of rockets against some of them to no avail, but the damage effect that RSE scripted into their mission has no trouble.

This would seem to a first for GR (Destructable buildings), is it not?

Jack :)

Where? I haven't noticed any.

In the walled compound at the top of the hill. If you play mission 8 in Shadow and wander around a bit in the compounds you will trigger the explosions.

And OOI what is the difference between a damage effect and a rocket?

Wondered the same myself. I'm not sure what the damage value of a rocket is, but it is apparently not as much as an effect with a value of Damage(2)(0). In the case of these buildings at least, the rocket damage is apparently not culmulative.

Jack :)

• 1 month later...

Anyone know how they have the cars blow up in the Embassy map? Those are dynamic also, I think, and if we could figure out how those register a rocket or grenade fired at them, we could apply that to dynamic buildings and stuff, however that would have to be an entirely new map designed for this.

If they were to release the original files used to create this map, we might be able to do this, or if we could somehow find a way to import the map to 3D Studio Max.

Just a thought!

Anyone know how they have the cars blow up in the Embassy map? Those are dynamic also, I think, and if we could figure out how those register a rocket or grenade fired at them, we could apply that to dynamic buildings and stuff, however that would have to be an entirely new map designed for this.

If they were to release the original files used to create this map, we might be able to do this, or if we could somehow find a way to import the map to 3D Studio Max.

Just a thought!

Look at the map in IGOR and check the map labels and you'll see that all vehicles on that map are dynamic parts of the map.

I don't think they are. Could be wrong.

there are several dynamic building objects on this map which can be destroyed with a Damage Effect - but not with rockets it would seem.

I was wrong about this - they are not destroyed :( They simply use the HideMapObject with a Debris effect to give the appearance of the building being destroyed.

You could do the same with the dynamic vehicle objects on the Embassy map - as far as I am aware they are not destructible like the chopper on Mountain Stronghold, so you wouldn't be able to query a rocket strike.

Jack

• 1 month later...

Another way to skin the proverbial cat would be to make a blown up copy in 3dsm of the vehicle in question. could be any vehicle from gr. Then script an explosion sequence with a large flame, then as you set off the explosion you hide the original vehicle in the script and show the blown up version. If you have enough effects nobody would see the change over.

Ngru crazy 1

Maybe damage is done by a demo-charge (or a claymore), instead of rockets.

You can script the damage-value in Igor.

Maybe if the damage-effect is close enough to the wall it will damage the wall.