Looking for Dedicated GR Game Server Hosting

ApexMods

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but if anyone can recommend a good provider for long-term dedicated GR game server hosting, please let me know. I currently have no idea about the cost involved, so that information would be very welcome, too. Thanks.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We used to use Primary Target until they tripled the monthly fee all of a sudden. <_<

Various other hosting companies did the same at around the same time. We only ever host our own now. Usually have a 100mb server going. But may I add, I can set a dedi up on my old laptop, with up to 9 peeps, always runs fine.

Short story, never found a good price for this. Ghost Recon, they want anything from $50 to $150 per month! You can have a BF3 server for as little as $20 per month. Makes no sense, apart from server security I guess.

I don't understand the hosting thing. When you pay to host do they host it on their computer with the game you choose, or do you still have to have a computer to run the server? If so, why not just host it on an old laptop like Tinker is doing? That's how the Nighthawks do it.

Because you need to have a reasonable connection to host one 24/7 yourself and you cannot abuse that connection with other things.

And yes, a hosting company has the server and the data, you just remotely administrate it and play on it.

These days orig GR is not /that/ resource intensive that it really requires a dedicated server, but things like ARMA II and BF3 with high player limits really need a good server and internet connection.

Yes, the reasoning behind dedicated GR game (and voice communication) server hosting are:

• 100% uptime
  • 24/7 availability
  • low network latency
  • high network bandwidth
  • fixed IP address
  • dedicated hardware resources
  • secure remote administration

GR supports up to 36 players in TvT and PvP, and up to 27 players in Co-Op. Handling that many players can easily bring a home based internet connection to its knees. Most private internet connections are also simply not reliable enough to offer 24/7 access with constant high bandwidth and low latency, and many have a dynamic IP address. Dedicated servers are usually also on monitored infrastructure, meaning that local admins actively manage hardware integrity, network security, load balancing etc.

Being an older game, GR may not seem all that resource intensive, but even running in dedi mode it requires the server to have a graphics card with full 3D acceleration support for hit detection, which calls for unshared hardware resources to provide a reliable game experience. Above that, required/recommended GR server tools also limit server choice to Windows based systems.

Sorry about the lack of news so far. Don't want to give too much away just now, but work is underway for a hopefully pleasant surprise.

Riley, you spoilsport! It's supposed to be a surprise! :)

OK, here we go. Experimental at first, just to try things out, but I got a dedicated GR server up and running at

IP Address: 216.221.12.40

Join Port (GR Default): 2346

It's currently just running GR/DS/IT, COOP mode. Anyone interested come in and play some.

:)

PS: It should also be listed on Xfire, soon. Look for username "apexmods" to find me.

C'mon people, stop surfing the web and get on this server!

EDIT

Hey Apex, if this is permanent, you should make a new thread with a new title so it will attract more attention. I think

GHOST RECON 1 SERVER

'FOREVER GHOST RECON' SERVER IS LIVE

Is more eye catching than this old thread.

And THAT'S why I haven't started a new thread yet! It's still a trial to work out the kinks etc. - but yes, this will be permanent, and we will promote it properly in due time. BTW - you almost guessed the name of the server...

It's called "Ghost Recon Forever".

No password. tongue.gif I don't know, your call. Some people may get on there and mess it up but maybe not. It would be more convenient to have an open server-setup so if an admin wasn't on we could still edit according to what we wanted to play.

I'm on right now if anyone wants to play.

Well done Apex and Rocky, glad somebody's finally taking action and starting a server.

Time limit set to 30-45 minutes is good for missions. Reason being I hate sitting around watching some noob run around for hours trying to beat the level. Of course, that's incentive not to die however.

Anyone who wants to play, there're two people in the lobby so hop in.