Ghost Recon.net Forums

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier - re-imagined, rearmed revolution

Like Splinter Cell before it, Future Soldier has taken a sharp about-turn and gone back home - open battlefields, punishing combat, tactical stealth, and a Ghost team guided by tech taken to the extreme.

"There is a void in the shooter genre," says Ghost Recon: Future Soldier's Creative Director, Roman Campos Oriola. "There's a lot of really fast-paced shooters out there, but we have always been tactical, and we want something more.

Can the "told you so" guys please, just, not.... :whistle:

FULL PIECE (long read).

Apart from all the tech thing, I must praise UBI for at least one thing:

It's an impressive demo but it's still early days, with all the glitches and handling problems you'd expect of something so young. The guns feel a little soft, the controls aren't perfectly intuitive, and game-defining features are missing. Right now the streets are deserted, but "there will be a lot of civilians throughout the world," says Couzian.

"That's something missing in GRAW1 and GRAW2 - all the streets will be crowded with people so you have to deal with the civilians. We wanted the same when we were working on GRAW, but we did not have the technology to do it. Now we've been able to create a real world.

"You won't kill civilians," he continues, "but they will break your line of fire, so if you're aiming at them and pull the trigger, you tell them to get out of the way. You'll scream 'MOVE! MOVE! MOVE! Get away!' so they're free of your line of fire. They will have their own activity - walking and trading and so on. They will live their lives, even if they are surprised to see Special Forces. And then when you shoot, they will scatter."

Most games don't implement this right. I would prefer an 'action' button to alert the civilians, but the current system is 'theorically' pretty good. But really, I think the decision of shooting or not is up to the player (as if he has to deal with a civilian casuality that saves many more people).

If it functions as told, it will be a :thumbsup:

Liked this too:

Last year's E3 level has also been reworked almost from scratch - the original demo being more like Splinter Cell, according to the Associate Producer. "Actually that level was very valuable in testing," he explains. "It was a big open space but very restrictive. In the final game all the real intense shooting sequences - maybe 90% of the gunfights - will be in open areas, spaces where you can go more than 200 metres.We wanted to have these big spaces so you can split and then flank with your squad."

And this one really surprised me:

"And we don't want a futuristic soldier in a futuristic environment because then it will just look like science fiction," adds Oriola, referring to the old look, robosuit, robots, and all. "The idea is that we have that elite soldier with high tech weapons in a realistic place."

"We needed to focus on the things that matter for actual special forces," concludes Leroux-Hugon. "Every advisor said the exoskeleton was cool, but they couldn't see it in their daily life - it's too heavy, too complex. What they needed was to hide and to collect and share info. So that's what we've done. We wanted to make sure things feel authentic - we wanted things as they actually are in real life."

Edited by Operative

They've said that it'll be impossible to shoot a civilian, so they really haven't added all that much to the gameplay. It does improve the feeling of chaos around you, but you can still just hold the trigger down and not have to worry about killing an innocent. I don't really blame them for this - media and political hysteria around FPS games means they have to tread carefully.

I wish they would have showed the re-worked version of last year's E3 demo. That sounds much more recon-like than anything we've seen so far. I don't think I've seen video of any distances over 50m let alone 200.

Edited by MeanMF

Well that sounds alot better than it did when they first anounced GR:FS no more space suites, robotic legs, or shoulder launchers :thumbsup:

Now all we need is a PC version

They've said that it'll be impossible to shoot a civilian, so they really haven't added all that much to the gameplay. It does improve the feeling of chaos around you, but you can still just hold the trigger down and not have to worry about killing an innocent.

But when you 'attempt' to shoot a civilian, the character alert them. If you don't do, they will either move spontaneouly or stay in your line of fire, so I'd prefer attempt the 'shout' method.

It's certainly better than nothing, although I'd prefer if you had to be careful to avoid shooting civilians - that would really put you on edge during those sequences. But I can see why it wouldn't be worth it to Ubisoft to risk a potential media frenzy by going down that road. I don't think they have the clout to withstand it the same way Activision did with "No Russian" in MW2.

No offenCe, but there's something you're all not seeing: one minute Ubi's talking all this stealth stuff - silencers on weapons, that kind of stuff - so as to reduce the risk of enemies becoming aware of players. Now here's the thing: they go on to say that you SHOUT at civilians to tell them to move ###### get out the way, which directly compromises the players' presence in the field. Contradiction much?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No offenCe, but there's something you're all not seeing: one minute Ubi's talking all this stealth stuff - silencers on weapons, that kind of stuff - so as to reduce the risk of enemies becoming aware of players. Now here's the thing: they go on to say that you SHOUT at civilians to tell them to move ###### get out the way, which directly compromises the players' presence in the field. Contradiction much?

Once you start shooting or have been compromised, that suppressor doesn't really matter much. Oh, and it's a "suppressor," as long as we're being real world centric here.

So in short, if you're yelling at civilians to get out of the way after you brought your weapon up in the bazaar, well, you've been spotted. I think the suppressor doesn't matter.