Ghost Recon.net Forums

Mission - Revelations Beta Test

Need a final run through on this mission before final polish.

I'll not explain what is needed to complete the mission as I hope it's all self explanatory, if not please give me feedback. Also I've added an option which i hope works. On normal and hard difficulty levels save games are disabled. If you save then try to load the save game, Ghost Recon will crash ( fingers crossed ). So I need to know if the mission is too hard are not. Also tell me if the roping in insertion looks lame or not.

Feedback on bugs, gameplay, story, fun factor and difficulty would be appreciated. Spent a lot of time on this mission. Download link is below. Just download the file, then unzip and put the Mission2Test folder in your Ghost Recon folder. Then enable the mod and play revelations in quick missions. Disable other mods when playing this please. The amount of ammo used with the XM8 weapons is part of the gameplay.

http://www.gamefront...ission2Test.rar

Thanks if you try this out. Its appreciated.

Edited by BS PALADIN

i shall have a play of it and get back to you. certainly seems interesting just reading the couple of features you have implemented. :thumbsup:

okay first thing i noticed, not sure if it's my computer, but as soon as i try and start the campaign, the game CTD and when i click a resume campaign for a standard ghost recon campaign, the game crashes again. this may need some verifacation from someone else. but that's what i got.

Edited by zeealice

Had a couple of tries and was impressed!

Liked your voice overs, ambient sounds, the crowd, civies pulling weapons, xm8, the fast rope insert and the Blackhawk getting shot down, and the Humvee pulling away from the gate. You obviously put allot of effort in to it and it shows.

OK a few gripes too:

-Make the popups appear on screen a few more seconds.

-Only a couple of tries but is it actually possible to keep the refugee hostages alive? Yes or no so as not to spoil it.

-I got to the downed Blackhawk and the voice over said, one pilot dead but the other is alive.

They were both dead. Like above do I need to do something so both are not dead? No spoilers necessary.

Anyways mission would not end on this account.

-I think the first voice over meant to say the UN HQ is southwest and not the Embassy is southwest?

-Might be some trouble but it would be a nice effect to add some radio static to the voice overs.

-Great idea and job putting the crowd together. Maybe it is not possible but if the throwing animations were out of sync with one another it would be perfect.

Very original mission and if you release this mod with several missions I hope all of them will be MP compatible.

What do you mean by CTD?

And its not a campaign. There is a campaign file but only use quick mission to play the mission revelation.

CTD=Crash to desktop

aaah right, i'll start from quick mission then, could be the reason why. thanks for clarifying.

Edited by zeealice

be warned my critique is often seen as offensive on other sites, so please don't take offence as none is meant.

right done a little mess around and one thing i immediately noticed, was the XM8 rifles they certainly werent there before, and they are a great touch.

the second thing i came across was in the objectives screen, on mission loading.

"no civilians casualties" will need to be amended.

when the mission loaded i had a ###### about in the insertion zone. i've noticed you like the word ###### :P on the voice over where the crowd is, he say we just wanna get the hell outta here, and you put "get the ###### outta here" and dammit i think is another where you put ######.

when moving into the UN dudes bit, the voice or message box did not appear until the second time i went into that area, after finding out what i was meant to do, not sure if anyone else picked up on that. and in agreement with wombat, the message box needs to be on for a little longer.

when going into the Pilot area, without using the extract bit first. the message box displays even when an extract attempt wasn't made. so i got confused when the "pilots" weren't there. and i noticed an attempt to block it off with a "sniper"

i was thinking perhaps have the chopper already crash and that's why the UN dudes are about?

i love the re-equip idea, very original certainly a likeable original at that.

the rest of them are in agreement with wombat's points

overall though although it seems i am being negative here, it's a great mission certainly challenging and really well thought out, my attempts at making anything better would be useless and i am looking forward to what seems to be, more missions?

i'm sure on another run i'll start to pick up on things i didn't before

there's my take on it.

Edited by zeealice

OK a few gripes too:

-Make the popups appear on screen a few more seconds.

-Only a couple of tries but is it actually possible to keep the refugee hostages alive? Yes or no so as not to spoil it.

-I got to the downed Blackhawk and the voice over said, one pilot dead but the other is alive.

They were both dead. Like above do I need to do something so both are not dead? No spoilers necessary.

Anyways mission would not end on this account.

-I think the first voice over meant to say the UN HQ is southwest and not the Embassy is southwest?

-Might be some trouble but it would be a nice effect to add some radio static to the voice overs.

-Great idea and job putting the crowd together. Maybe it is not possible but if the throwing animations were out of sync with one another it would be perfect.

Very original mission and if you release this mod with several missions I hope all of them will be MP compatible.

Thanks for the good feedback. I'm trying to get this as polished as possible so all feedback ( especially ) negative is greatly appreciated. I would love to do the missions for co-op but co-op won't allow helos unfortunately. You can save the hostages but its not necessary. The timer is short to convey that innocent people die in war, and if you try to save them you risk the lives of yourself and your men. Trying to do something different with Ghost Recon. Convey that you need to make hard choices in war, which is what the save the pilots decision is about.

Only one pilot is supposed to be dead. Need to look at what happened there.

The eventual mod will only be 5 missions long, with this mission being the last of the 5. But the mod will only be part 1 of 3. Whether I do the rest will depend on feedback.

be warned my critique is often seen as offensive on other sites, so please don't take offence as none is meant.

right done a little mess around and one thing i immediately noticed, was the XM8 rifles they certainly werent there before, and they are a great touch.

the second thing i came across was in the objectives screen, on mission loading.

"no civilians casualties" will need to be amended.

when the mission loaded i had a ###### about in the insertion zone. i've noticed you like the word ###### :P on the voice over where the crowd is, he say we just wanna get the hell outta here, and you put "get the ###### outta here" and dammit i think is another where you put ######.

when moving into the UN dudes bit, the voice or message box did not appear until the second time i went into that area, after finding out what i was meant to do, not sure if anyone else picked up on that. and in agreement with wombat, the message box needs to be on for a little longer.

when going into the Pilot area, without using the extract bit first. the message box displays even when an extract attempt wasn't made. so i got confused when the "pilots" weren't there. and i noticed an attempt to block it off with a "sniper"

i was thinking perhaps have the chopper already crash and that's why the UN dudes are about?

i love the re-equip idea, very original certainly a likeable original at that.

the rest of them are in agreement with wombat's points

overall though although it seems i am being negative here, it's a great mission certainly challenging and really well thought out, my attempts at making anything better would be useless and i am looking forward to what seems to be, more missions?

i'm sure on another run i'll start to pick up on things i didn't before

there's my take on it.

The XM8 weapons are from Snowfella. I just tweak the ammo counts a bit. So credit goes to him.

Negativity is essential for all good design. The sniper is supposed to block of a chunk of the map, you can eliminate the snipers by going behind the building via the broken river bridge by using demos on the truck blocking your path. But only after the civilans have moved, then you sneak into the hotel and kill the sniper team.

Trying to go via the alleyways before the russians arrive leads to IEDs killing your men. But it sounds like you got past the sniper, how did you manage that.

As for the swearing, I grew up in a rough neighborhood lol.

One last thing, has the removal of the ability to save games made the mission too hard. I'm trying to make it less trial and error but still challenging enough to increase the chances of losing men.

Edited by BS PALADIN

I downloaded and tested this mission earlier today, and found it to be a very well-scripted mod. I like your attempt at making a realistic sniper system throughout the city, feels alot more realistic than some AI failing at aiming with a dragunov. As for the crowd, the yelling sound could be a little louder if that's possible. I also got kind of frustrated with the peacekeeper hostages, but that's an expectation when playing Ghost Recon. It's not your fault that they haven't learned to walk up steps yet, or keep from tangling up with each other the entire half-mile trek back to the embassy... :D Also, as someone noted above, it would be good to seperate the throwing animation for the civilians; it looks kind of strange seeing them coordinating their actions like that. I also suggest using invisibility for the entire civilian platoon, because at the moments pause between their throw animation, you can see them raise up their hands as if they are holding invisible guns--invisibility will stop that. Besides that, I liked the overall concept of civilians whipping out AK-47s in my face, as well as the added surprise of you switching out a friendly civvie actor with a hostile one, threw me off because of the Refugee label. I also liked your fastrope insertion, gave it a nice touch, sort of like GRAW1 or something. Overall, nice work. And just because I love being extremely annoying, obnoxious, and pushy, I'm gonna give you a rating for each category of quality on a scale of 1 to 10. :lol:

Intensity: 7.0

Difficulty: 7.0

Creativeness: 8.5

Originiality: 9.0

Plot: 8,0

Realisticness: 8.5

Overall: 8.0

Good job, PALADIN.

Had a couple of plays through the mission.

I agree with whats been said here already, the onscreen messages need to stay there a bit longer, it's almost impossible to read them which for me spoils the immersion of the mission as I found myself guessing what I had to do next.

The main ones to have on the screen longer is after you have to gather on the embassy roof, I wasn't sure what to do next when the first Blackhawk was shot down.

Like others here the mission wouldn't end as both pilots were killed.

I can't decide if I like the disabled save game in normal and hard difficulty, being an average player I sometimes find myself saving the game regularly and if I get in a situation I can't get out of I will reload, found out to my cost when I did this on normal difficulty when I ended up back on my desktop, shame there isn't a better way of doing this, I'm probably just showing my lack of expertise/ability to play the game properly, it's just a personal opinion but worth a mention.

This is going to be a great mission, had a look at the script in Igor and I'm liking what you have done, I'm new to modding this game but it looks very well thought out.

Nice job Paladin. :thumbsup:

I've added 3 seconds to all messages. At a later date all messages will have voice recordings added to make it easier to understand.

The save game feature is to bypass the trial and error nature of GR and up the tension level. Like everyone else I would reload every time I lost a single soldier. I think it would be better to have a slightly easier game but make it so you will still continue after losing some soldiers. Maybe that's not to everyone's liking but I feel it will be beneficial to the gameplay.

It certainly raised the tension levels for me. :lol:

TBH, I don't think your mission is to hard so disabling the save games for normal and hard difficulty shouldn't be a problem for most players, even I was able to complete the mission (after two attempts) on normal difficulty which I found quite an achievement, so that in itself proves what you are doing is having the desired effect.

I know you can't do anything about it due to the limitations of the game but it would be cool if the game didn't crash if you tried to load a save game, an onscreen message saying "save games are disabled" would be a nice touch but I doubt this is possible.

Getting the game not to load from a saved game was a hassle. I even contacted RSE staff to ask if it could be done. They said no but Tinker posted a way to do it which I used. I also tweaked it to allow the reversal of this, so you can switch saves back on. Might do this to allow a checkpoint system, ala OFP. Maybe allow a save when the chopper goes down, which I will inform the player of the opportunity to do so via a info box.

Edited by BS PALADIN

Ok my Peacekeepers stepped out when I stepped out to shoot tank haha....

Good to play Gr again it's been a long time, my system hung for a moment when that feller said bygod haha it looped for a second what an irritating voice haha.