How can I track down sysrem hang after boot?

Rocky

About once in ever 3 or 4 boots my win7 is hanging. It doesn't matter what I am doing at the time, a few minutes after landing at desktop the system will hang, cursor will freeze, windows key inactive, CtrlAltDel inactive, total hang - although the HD activity light is flashing.

Reboot, check error logs, can't see anything out of the ordinary.

Have unchecked all start up items for required stuff I can think of.

Not sure what to try next.

Check your coolers (in the processor mainly, but also in the power supply - i'm not sure if I'm writing it right, but I hope you can understand).

EDIT: Just to make it clear, I've suffered with cooler failures and even stoppages. The processor will be fine, but it will simply turn-off to prevent overheating.

I changed both coolers and until now at least it's fine, but I can hear some noise from the power supply cooler. Will have to check that anytime soon.

EDIT2: All those typos :whistle:

Edited by Operative

Any info should be in:

Control panel > System and security> Action center

I get hangs every so often with my system 7/64 also, If my system is cut off during sleep mode it takes a couple reboots just to get it back.

Checked, nothing to worry about in there.

It is weird how this happens on the first cold boot only, a quick reset and everything is jack dandy.

I've had a similar problem before, but it only happened in games. The freeze would require a hard reset, one time it was due to a faulty memory stick, and the other time was a faulty motherboard which died later on lol.

In device manager under Sound, video and game controllers I have two entries:

-High definition audio device

-Realtek high definition audio

I was having loss of display occasionally but it got to doing it much more frequently.

I don't think mine is a heat issue.

I checked around allot on the net and one guy was having a similar issue. He thought there should be

only one audio device enabled in device manager.

I have had my first device disabled for two weeks. I was having 3-4 freezes a day and since I have had one in two weeks.

It's worth a try and if necessary re-enabling the device should be no problem.

start, search, type event viewer. Check al logs for errors and or warnings and report if not obivous

Reboot, check error logs, can't see anything out of the ordinary

It's almost as if the freeze happens before the system can log a difficulty.

In device manager under Sound, video and game controllers I have two entries:

-High definition audio device

-Realtek high definition audio

Sounds like you had a soundcard installed with the realtek onboard still activated. Not an issue here though.

Do you have a g15 keyboard? Clanmate just had issues tonight. He had one and it had died and he never removed the software. However those with it have the issue similar. If you do, go to device manager... at the bottom look for windows sideshow. Disable both color and mono. Doesn't effect the lcd. Test.

Just for a reference Rocky.

I've been using Windows 7 64 for a bit over a year and a half with G15 keyboard and MX 518 mouse with the software installed. Never had any of the issues you're having now. Of course I don't ever let my PC sleep, nor do I run alot of the extras such as sideshow.

I'm not as good as some of the guys that frequent the site but my best guess would be one of two things, corrupt files somewhere or a hardware issue.

How long is it locking up for bud? Are you leaving it for a bit to see if it recovers or just rebooting after a few mins?

Right click my computer and go to "manage"

In the event viewer go to windows logs, look through the application logs, if there are any serious errors thats where you'll find them.

The other thing to check is in control panel, go to system and security and go to the action center, check for solutions to unreported problems, that one picked up that i'd got a dodgy sata cable, its a big improvement on the old windows error checkers.

Best of luck with it.

One more thing to check to see if its totally locked is the caps lock or num lock key, if the lights go on and off when you're pressing them the machine hasnt totally locked up, if thats the case i'd give it a bit of time to see if it unsticks.

If you can find the hard drive diagnostic software for your drive I'd run that too, hirens boot cd comes with a fair few.

Edited by CrowmanUK

I checked all event logs and action center. I think I have probably left it for about 10 minutes when it hangs before rebooting by holding the reset button. I am pretty sure one time I left it and it reset itself eventually.

I checked all event logs and action center. I think I have probably left it for about 10 minutes when it hangs before rebooting by holding the reset button. I am pretty sure one time I left it and it reset itself eventually.

I know you checked the fans but what if you go into the bios and check the system temperature right after the lockup? Maybe cpu fan clogged up or grease isn't contacting correctly. Sound like when a cpu over heats. Intels will lock up after a certain temp to protect themselves.

You can also try the system file checker but i'm not sure if you stay online long enough to test it.

Here are the instructions on how to use it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

When the cpu overheats I think it first slows down. Mine always turned off, and the HD kept working, but hardly any freezes, just the black screen with HD light flashing.

Matches his 1st post...

About once in ever 3 or 4 boots my win7 is hanging. It doesn't matter what I am doing at the time, a few minutes after landing at desktop the system will hang, cursor will freeze, windows key inactive, CtrlAltDel inactive, total hang - although the HD activity light is flashing.

Also are you overclocking anything or using AI net or any booster that the mainboard came with?

About once in ever 3 or 4 boots my win7 is hanging. Not sure what to try next.

If you are confident with motherboard BIOS settings you could try clearing the cmos and resetting the bios to factory default and check to make sure you have enabled what should be enabled and what should be disabled?. But i suppose if it is random it could be anything. Is it 64-bit win 7?, once i had a usb razor mouse that caused lock ups, lifeless desktop issues at random.