GR video recording

Hello, I want to record full missions while playing, but I know with my current hardware the fps drop too much.

I don't own any software either, so I have to find the best one at lowest cost as well.

Here's my specs:

Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ (2 CPUs), ~2.8GHz

Memory: 2046MB RAM

Hard Drive: 309 GB

Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6000) (6000.vista_gdr.070627-1500)

I need to know what I should upgrade. I'm on a very tight budget, but GR vid making is something I've wanted to get into for years. The only way though is for me to record the full game from my perspective and then edit it from there. I think I need to have the 60 fps while playing to do the game full justice. Thanks.

the graphic card could do with a bump up to AT LEAST the AMD HD series and you are done :D

are you sure it isnt software related?

and anything over 24 FPS is considered smooth gameplay from the naked eye so maxing out FPS isnt really a problem

Edited by Zeealex

@Alex: Just playing at 24 fps and playing while recording are significantly different and a lot more demanding on the hardware.

That said, a graphics card upgrade is a must (have a look here for performance info), especially as you may want to enable high levels of antialiasing and anisotropic filtering for the best visual fidelity.

And it wouldn't hurt to record to a fast (and large!) separate hard disk, as disk speed (and space!) may become an issue when recording live and uncompressed. Plus you'll need additional space for cutting and encoding of the video. Nothing consumes hard disk space like video!

RAM and CPU should be OK.

I use this software:

-Fraps free version to record ingame(30 seconds at a time and then you have to hit a hot key for the next 30)

The free version has a watermark but it is very unobtrusive.

I think the full version is reasonable and allows unlimited time recording. Fraps spits out an .avi file which are huge.

Any version of fraps is easily used.

-All versions of Windows since XP have a video editing software included. I used Windows Movie Maker 2 when I had XP and now use what is called Windows Live Movie Maker on Win7. I'm sure Vista has one included too. Very adequate in my estimation. These versions all output the video down to an even more reasonable size with options for assorted resolutions when making the finish product which is a .wmv file in this case..

Sony Vegas and Adobe Premiere are notable if you are willing to pay the price. Both may still have a full featured 30 day free trial.

-Virtualdub is free and a godsend if editing allot of video files. I mainly use it to compress the fraps videos down to a manageable size. I use the Xvid codec which is free. Dumping those huge uncompressed fraps .avi files into any editing software can cause it to slow to a crawl.

Example:

Uncompressed Fraps 14 sec = 267 MB

Compressed with Xvid in Virtualdub 14 sec = 18MB

It has many other features as well but is not a good standalone video software.

I enjoy making videos even though I consider myself a novice. Any of the above have youtube video tutorials on how to use their features. With GR I have made recordings off of replays which will allow more then the players viewpoint.

• 1 month later...

I use this software:

-Fraps free version to record ingame(30 seconds at a time and then you have to hit a hot key for the next 30)

The free version has a watermark but it is very unobtrusive.

I think the full version is reasonable and allows unlimited time recording. Fraps spits out an .avi file which are huge.

Any version of fraps is easily used.

-All versions of Windows since XP have a video editing software included. I used Windows Movie Maker 2 when I had XP and now use what is called Windows Live Movie Maker on Win7. I'm sure Vista has one included too. Very adequate in my estimation. These versions all output the video down to an even more reasonable size with options for assorted resolutions when making the finish product which is a .wmv file in this case..

Sony Vegas and Adobe Premiere are notable if you are willing to pay the price. Both may still have a full featured 30 day free trial.

-Virtualdub is free and a godsend if editing allot of video files. I mainly use it to compress the fraps videos down to a manageable size. I use the Xvid codec which is free. Dumping those huge uncompressed fraps .avi files into any editing software can cause it to slow to a crawl.

Example:

Uncompressed Fraps 14 sec = 267 MB

Compressed with Xvid in Virtualdub 14 sec = 18MB

It has many other features as well but is not a good standalone video software.

I enjoy making videos even though I consider myself a novice. Any of the above have youtube video tutorials on how to use their features. With GR I have made recordings off of replays which will allow more then the players viewpoint.

I just tried fraps and only got 43 FPS or so, I wonder how much space a 30 min mission would take up if I bought a retail version of fraps. Anyone know?

43 FPS just doesn't do the game justice, I wonder if simply adding a couple gigs of ram would be enough to bring it up to 60.

Xfire does a great job with ghost recon. While using XFire just press Scroll Lock + V to start or stop. It compresses the video and let`s you upload it to your XFire profile page, real simple stuff.

Yeah, but can you go back in and edit xfire video? I'd cut out some parts not needed and overlay text to communicate decisions and tactics.

I just tried fraps and only got 43 FPS or so, I wonder how much space a 30 min mission would take up if I bought a retail version of fraps. Anyone know?

43 FPS just doesn't do the game justice, I wonder if simply adding a couple gigs of ram would be enough to bring it up to 60.

Like what wombat50 mentioned about Virtualdub, what you can do is record the video with fraps maybe to an external HD (so it doesn't take up room on your main HD) then compress it with VirtualDub (free program) There is a bunch of tutorials on youtube for it.

Edited by xxxToasTy