The "Blue circles" on guns & HUD discussion

Pave Low

Question asked by a member in a different thread that really deserves it's own discussion

Another thing is where is the other Character of the first box showed before? (the one with rocket on the shoulder), liked the old one better than this one.

and what are those circles on the weapons?

They are a holographic "Heads Up Display" (or more accurately "Head-Out Display")

GRFS_Hero.jpg

Just watch any of the E3 videos that are posted in the Xbox 360 forum to see them in action

although not sure why they need them as each ghost already has a monocle that displays HUD info, they seem to be totally redundant and unecessary

isn't very stealthy as usually you camouflage the weapons and have suppressors - not walk about all lit up with a large blue ring around the gun (probably say it's only one-way light :P)

Probably just because they think it looks "cool"

i can imagine only the ghosts see it displayed. like 3D you only see it's potential with the glasses :P

but anyway. i'll let you carry on and discuss this i've said what i wanted to say for now :P

oh now you tell me :P just posted my thoughts on the HUD to the PC release thread :P might want to move it over :D

Edited by Pave Low
moved + merged :-)

:hmm: then we shouldn't be able to see them when we look externally at the ghosts.....

like in the picture above, Unless that is just "artistic license" by the graphics department :rolleyes:

although they do show in the E3 videos when looking at other ghosts guns and in external views

:hmm: then we shouldn't be able to see them when we look externally at the ghosts.....

Probably just artistic license, yeah. Sort of like how your arms become transparent when you cloak, even if you're wearing short sleeves. I'm 99% sure it's intended to be something that's projected onto your monocle display.

Still I don't really mind the HUD. The way they've designed it in the game may not be all that practical, but at least it's based on real technology. I could definitely see something like that on the battlefield in 10-20 years, if not sooner.

I suppose it will make this title stand out from other FPS where the HUD information is more traditionally displayed in the screen corners instead of around and moving with the weapon

guess it will all depend on If and how much of a distraction it will be this way when playing

and of course to hope that the bad guys don't ever find our display frequency, otherwise we'll all be lit up like walking Christmas trees :lol:

Never mind the implementation of those circles - I'm pretty sure they are at least supposed to be HUD-only - but for what practical purpose? I mean, even if I personally hate that augmented reality stuff cluttering up the entire screen, at least some of it makes (some) sense e.g. the highlighting of primary targets or objectives. But neon circles around your guns?!? What meaningful purpose could they possibly serve?!?

If you look at the co-op demo you can clearly see the circles being active even without "AR"/"augmented reality" being "online" (around 0:30), which makes even less sense to me. Both HUD and "AR" wouldn't have any screen limits - "AR" even projects data on the horizon, important stuff, too, like the actual COUNTRY you're in. Because I'm sure SF operators forget that little detail all the time during missions.

:rolleyes:

But neon circles around your guns?!? What meaningful purpose could they possibly serve?!?

I think it's supposed to be an aiming reticle. It's projecting onto your HUD what you'd normally see looking through a sight. This doesn't seem like the most practical implementation of the technology to me, but again - artistic license. If I were designing an augmented reality HUD for a soldier, I wouldn't make the soldier have to look through a projected reticle. I'd have it project an aim point onto whatever your gun is pointed at, much like current-generation holographic sights (EOTech, etc) already do.

Doubtful. Looking at this...

GRFS_Hero.jpg

I see no indication of an aiming reticle at all, just 3(!) giant concentric rings around the weapon, as if to say "hold the other end and point away from operator".

:lol:

ahhh... I know what it is :shifty:

It's a personal Energy shield!

to go with the Romulan cloaking device

Shields up, Mr Sulu, fire photon torpedos.

Hence Ghost Recon Future Soldier also being known as Ghost Recon: Space Marine. (Which forms a better abbreviation; FS can be miscontrued for a certain other abbreviation that usually has an additional letter in it.)

Besides, that weapon HOD concept is old. Mass Effect 2 (to an extent) and Dead Space series, among other games, already have weapon HODs.

Another thing, you really think SF units would be using all this electronic tech in the future? Electronics can easily be compromised by various forms - an enemy only has to throw an EMP grenade. And, what if the Ghosts were doing a mission in the middle of a rainstorm? Water and electricity doesn't mix. Lightning can even fry electronics. Seriously, don't devs think this stuff through? Don't get me wrong, I don't mind sci-fi stuff, but it has to be believable. Oh wait, maybe those concentric rings serve as a holographic umbrella?

Edited by WytchDokta

Yes indeed, especially when there are much simpler more reliable options already available.

Nevermind rain, in the village clip they wade through a river

ahh yes also an umbrella! :thumbsup: devilishly cleaver these holographic rings, so versatile :P

and i cant imagine the size of the batteries they each must be carrying about to power all of that wizzy kit! >_<

even today, in all the stories from Iraq and Afghanistan we hear repeatedly about soldiers trying trying to scrounge enough batteries for NVG's and PEQ's Etc

Oh wait.. let me guess... Actually the ghosts are all carrying tiny nuclear power packs :rolleyes:

also if it's a HUD why two sets of rings, sometimes at the middle of the weapon others one right at the tip

for example

FS-Pistol_Rings.jpg

surely not as weapon sights

Cant wait to hear the official explanation about the rings

I have a guess. It's a new nomenclature I created. Some people may recognize it as of 'artistic-license'-kind. For me it's 'Pseudo-Functional-Gadgetry-That-Does-Not-Help-You-And-In-Fact-Is-Not-Believeable-But-Make-The-Game-Look-Like-Uber-Tacticool'.

I have a guess. It's a new nomenclature I created. Some people may recognize it as of 'artistic-license'-kind. For me it's 'Pseudo-Functional-Gadgetry-That-Does-Not-Help-You-And-In-Fact-Is-Not-Believeable-But-Make-The-Game-Look-Like-Uber-Tacticool'.

Look-Like-Uber-Tacticool?!? Those circles look utterly stupid to me - whether or not they have some kind of function (unlikely). The same goes for the whole "augmented reality" thing, which is nothing more than one huge ridiculous distraction. Ubisoft should just drop all those showboating effects and concentrate on core gameplay. Adding neon lights and laser shows might impress 9-year-olds, but it's hardly the way to go to convince Ghost Recon fans. If they try to sell us third-person-view and cover system as "tactical" they better at least cut down on the other bullcrap.