no news on a PC release date

Thanks for the update Shirakawa :thumbsup:

yeah, what an unnecessary mess and worry for fans, that a tiny drop of PR would have easily prevented.

So folks, there is still hope for a good full GR game on PC next year, so it's back to waiting and dreaming . . . . . . . .

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While the outlook is little more optimistic then before, this latest evolution of Ubisoft covering obfuscation with differently worded obfuscation doesn't put me any more at ease. No company however weird or inept (at the management level) commits to these kinds of practices and policies without reason; and the reason is usually some flavor run and ditch attempt at CYA where it's too late for legal boilerplate.

This is the same company that at the last minute bailed on Ghost Recon 2 for PC after it had been advertised and marketed to death for years, after it was virtually finished for the original Xbox (which was an x86 Intel Pentium III PC with running Windows NT with a few kernel mods), a game that was developed on the PC, and involved a port process that would have been a matter of a few hours work.

While multi-platform ports for the Xbox 360, PS3, and the new Wii U do not offer the seamless and effortless transition of the original Xbox to PC, most engines that support the 360 make the port process very low cost in terms of the volume and complexity of work involved as the title is still initially developed as PC run-time for the DirectX API. Worst case low quality ports we're all familiar with can be done by one person in as little as a day...

For practical purposes a PC version of any game is as far along in development as the Xbox 360 version; as the same render, sound, and control backplane API must be used. So real costs limiting a game to the 360 aren't related to development as one might assume (or be mislead to think); but marketing, QC testing, and production (in roughly that cost order) -- which puts these sorts of decisions fairly high up the chain of command.

In light of all that's come to pass from Mister Ubi Tom Recon, how he's slighted PC Fans, and all we've endured on his behalf; I won't believe GR:FS for PC is a reality until the fat man says: "It's Gold!"...

blink.gif

Edited by 101459

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier was announced for PS3, Xbox 360 and PC, to the contrary has not been confirmed.

Maybe it's the translation, but there is a fair bit of marketing speak in that single sentence. i.e. we KNOW it was originally announced for the PC, and we KNOW the contrary has not been confirmed. There is nothing new here at all.

Why couldn't they just come out and say something like "... regarding recent comments by Ubi forum staff and game developers at E3, these were largely taken out of context or mis-interpreted. Ghost Recon Future Soldier is being developed for the PC and the current release date is XX XXX 20XX"

How hard would that have been?

Not hard, so you have to wonder why they didn't do it.

It's UBI, they don't follow what the real world calls logic. Its not going to hurt anything to simply say yes or no. If they aren't releasing a PC version, it's not like they are killing sales. :rolleyes:

Well, if in fact GR:FS PC is cancelled, it would in a very limited way open Ubisoft to litigation in some countries. While that may sound ridiculous, and and from a moral standpoint I'd agree, this is a billion pound/dollar/euro industry, and 'Big Publishing' has stooped much lower then just shill litigation where less was at stake in a better economy.

Practically speaking I think Ubisoft is aware (as is Activision apparently), that it has an image problem, and is arguably justifiably preceived as an unethical company -- and may be hoping that time, the fanfare of the 360 and PS3 release of GR:FS, and PC release of GR:O will drown out the ire and disappointment of a GR:FS PC cancellation statement.

Pretty stupid thinking on all accounts if true, but this the game pubishing industry, and Ubisoft...

huh.gif

So pretty much we are like in the begining...No confirmation either cancellation or released of the pc version.... getting frustrated .

Ubisoft show up and talk to the community... stop this BS.

Edited by mikeseoz

Still listed on Amazon U.S. for PC with an updated release date (but all three platforms now show March 6, 2012). On the flipside all PC logos, boxshots, and marks have disappeared fron the Ghost Recon North America site, and there was a PC box shot and PC logo at the bottom of the page which can still be seen at via The Internet Archive WayBack Machine -- so this is fairly deliberate.

Edited by 101459

On the flipside all PC logos, boxshots, and marks have disappeared fron the Ghost Recon North America site, and there was a PC box shot and PC logo at the bottom of the page which can still be seen at via The Internet Archive WayBack Machine -- so this is fairly deliberate.

The PC logo is stil there, right at the bottom under all the massive console logos.....

I couldn't get he wayback page to load to compare the box shots.

Draft initial design (PC)

Initial released design (PC)

BoxArt-PC-Old.jpg

v2 design (PC)

BoxArt-PC-v2.jpg

v2 design (PS3)

v2 design (Xbox 360)

after FS was delayed the Box Art design was given a "refresh" from "Rocket-shoulder guy" to "Blue-Rings weapon guy" presumably from feedback and to match a rethink in direction and character/story design.

Wouldn't it have been easier to just add "PC" to the platforms, though? Especially if the intention was clarification?

They're also planning PSP, Wii, and DS versions.

Those versions have been released

PSP = Ghost Recon: Predator

Wii = Ghost Recon Wii

DS = Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars

Why couldn't they just come out and say something like "... regarding recent comments by Ubi forum staff and game developers at E3, these were largely taken out of context or mis-interpreted. Ghost Recon Future Soldier is being developed for the PC and the current release date is XX XXX 20XX"

Because aparently

#1 - The first rule of GR:FS PC is, you do not talk about GR:FS PC

#2 - The second rule of GR:FS PC is, you DO NOT talk about GR:FS PC ...

:P

but as I keep saying, they have decided that they aren't going to talk about it yet, and so they aren't going to talk about it yet.

Posting anything would be talking about it and just amending the post is not talking about it (<-- Ubi Logic)

We are just going to have to wait until they decide they are ready to tell us something (but they shouldn't be surprised if by then no one is interested anymore)

Attn Ubi: in business the goal is to drive customer interest to sell your product ... there is a word for turning away customers who are already standing at your door with their wallets in their hands......it's called suicide

if they don't want to acknowledge their own product, fine... There are plenty of other companies that are proud to show off their title and vie for a place on my game shelf

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier was announced for PS3, Xbox 360 and PC, to the contrary has not been confirmed.

Maybe it's the translation, but there is a fair bit of marketing speak in that single sentence. i.e. we KNOW it was originally announced for the PC, and we KNOW the contrary has not been confirmed. There is nothing new here at all.

Exactly.

][ubisoft] have decided that they aren't going to talk about it yet, and so they aren't going to talk about it yet.

Actually, this is not entirely correct. Ubisoft used to talk about GR:FS for PC a lot, they announced it with some fanfare in 2009 and again at E3 2010. So their new policy of radio silence would be more appropriately described as

Ubisoft have decided that they aren't going to talk about it anymore, and so they aren't going to talk about it anymore.

Attn Ubi: in business the goal is to drive customer interest to sell your product ... there is a word for turning away customers who are already standing at your door with their wallets in their hands......it's called suicide!

Well said. Not only would Ubisoft throw away money by rejecting the PC market again, a repetition of the disastrous Ghost Recon 2 disappointment would certainly infuriate the fan community beyond all repair and ultimately set off a perfect storm of negative publicity. Ubisoft's reputation among its own customers is already awfully close to the drainpipe, another rain of hostile sentiment could flush it down for good.

Actually, this is not entirely correct. Ubisoft used to talk about GR:FS for PC a lot, they announced it with some fanfare in 2009 and again at E3 2010. So their new policy of radio silence would be more appropriately described as

Ubisoft have decided that they aren't going to talk about it anymore, and so they aren't going to talk about it anymore.

The FS announcement fanfare on 9th Feb 2010 was for the 360 (+PS3) version by the Paris studio

it was on the very day of the announcement that Kimi first said “PC info details coming at a later time“

The PC only got a very begrudging afterthought mention along the lines of “oh, also for PC”, the PC version has been locked out right from the day FS was announced.

*In Jan 22 2009 they just announced that
    a new Ghost Recon game is in the works. No other information will be released at this time

Yes, they have talked about GR:FS a lot, but not the PC version.

The vast majority of videos and stuff on websites filed under “PC” are actually from the 360(+PS3) version you would be extremely hard pressed to find much media that is actually from the PC version.

They have never given any details about it, like even saying who is developing it or the engine Etc..

Being a recent console convert I am ok with no PC version. I know this kills some of you to hear that but my system in its current state wouldnt run it anyways. All new games I have decided to purchase will be on the PS3.

The FS announcement fanfare on 9th Feb 2010 was for the 360 (+PS3) version by the Paris studio

it was on the very day of the announcement that Kimi first said “PC info details coming at a later time“

The PC only got a very begrudging afterthought mention along the lines of “oh, also for PC”, the PC version has been locked out right from the day FS was announced.

[...]

Yes, they have talked about GR:FS a lot, but not the PC version.

[...]

The vast majority of videos and stuff on websites filed under “PC” are actually from the 360(+PS3) version you would be extremely hard pressed to find much media that is actually from the PC version.

Ubisoft initially had the game announced on virtually any and all gaming websites as PC, PS3, and Xbox 360, and even Ubisoft's Kimi posted in the "GR:FS for PC" section here at GR.net. Since the initial announcement Ubisoft haven't talked about any specific platform at all, so this doesn't make the PC platform special by any means (e.g. PS3 specifics, anyone?). The sole exception was for the Xbox Kinect intro during E3 2011.

I don't think anyone would just now, more than 2 years after the initial announcement, seriously start to wonder about the PC version if it hadn't been for any mention of the PC platform all of a sudden conspicuously disappearing from every official statement, all interviews, resellers' sites, and even Ubisoft's own online store.

I'd say that all this marks a quite obvious recent paradigm shift towards total radio silence over the PC release. Admittedly there was very little information about it before, just as there wasn't any information about the game itself, but the PC version was omnipresently advertised as such and its release not in doubt - it suddenly and completely dropped of the radar just now during E3.

It occured to me that Ubisoft is going to be blasted almost no matter what they do on the PC with the Ghost Recon moniker sans a reboot of Original Ghost Recon. Perhaps their being so close to so much more red ink they thought it would be prudent to turn down the negative PR signtal-to-noise ratio as much as they could, and the only way was just to turn off the PC GR:FS PR machine entirely -- even with the game on track to market.

On the one hand Ubisoft is a difficult to fathom, and sometimes rather unprofessional company; and on the other hand they do take some pretty spectacular risks, invest in some very unusual game design, and have some enormously talented people on board. Putting the shoe on the other foot, it's not too hard to see how they might feel like they can't even get their message across about the game they've been pouring money and work into for the PC for years -- to an audience that puts everything under a microscope with hundreds if not thousands of critical comments for each enthusiastic response...

One faint glimmer of light for those of us still warm to GR:FS for the PC is that there was a tiny price adjustment down for the PC edition of GR:FS on the U.S. Amazon site today, which may not mean anything at all, but that the product actually got that much attention doesn't seem a bad sign. I like Robert Heinlein's adage of 'Pessimit by policy, Optimist by temperment...', ergo, hope for the best but plan for the worst; fingers crossed...

smile.gif

Edited by 101459

How about other publishers, do they habitually have this policy of ignoring the PC until the console versions are out? If they do, we would be another step forward in figuring out their rationale.

Rockstar games for example, today announced out of the blue that LA Noir is coming to PC.

Any other examples?

How about other publishers, do they habitually have this policy of ignoring the PC until the console versions are out? If they do, we would be another step forward in figuring out their rationale.

Rockstar games for example, today announced out of the blue that LA Noir is coming to PC.

Any other examples?

Fair enough, and as a Die Hard 'Original Flavor' Ghost Recon 'FanBoy', that's paid full-boat for every Ubisoft game with Tom Clancy's name on it I feel as jerked around as the next guy -- well perhaps not as much as the guy that has put the mountain of time and effort into a site like GRN that has been a marketing and PR bonanza for Ubisoft litterally amortized as 'Worth Millions $/€' (I kid you not)...

But the Ghost Recon audience is not the typical or average gaming audience that is going to be attracted to Rockstar or Activision games. And the level of critical review and anaylsis here will beyond the depth of many if not most game Designers, and completely lost to the understanding of Publisher Business & Finance Executives, and Marketing Weenies...

101459, did you quote my post by mistake or totally misunderstand it?

I was merely asking if anyone knew of other publishers that don't talk about PC versions, I wasn't making a point... :unsure:

101459, did you quote my post by mistake or totally misunderstand it?

Neither...

I was merely asking if anyone knew of other publishers that don't talk about PC versions, I wasn't making a point... unsure.gif

I know, but I was; I do feel jerked around. If any publisher the size of Ubi or larger did this with any of their big IP it would be all over the news. Maybe Ubi was hoping to see if they'd get a freebie PR windfall from it via 'CONTRAVERSY'...

Been a while since I've been on here.

Oh man it's Deja Vu. Maybe they should call the PC version 'Ghost Recon: no future solder'. I half expect Colin to turn up to placate us all ;)

You know I'd settle for a slightly enhanced [GR] the game is that good and still looks that good.

I don't have a high end pc anymore but I wouldn't mind [GR] on my ipad2. I bet it would run quite well and net play would be ok.

P.S. Rocky, I switched acounts around 2005 and do'nt post that much and have 765 posts. No where near your whopping 20,000 odd but i'm guessing you posted even more than that and the stats got lost. How many do you think you are up to by now?

Edited by Poita

This comes as no surprise., didnt they do this to us with Ghost Recon 2 back in the day? If there is no PC release of GRFS, Im officially going to other games like the Modern Warfare games, ARMA II or OFPDR