GR:O Announced + Trailer

Rocky

Other reason. is because we finally have a game that is dedicated to the PC

All previous ghost recon games for the PC have been an FPS. How can you say this is dedicated to the PC? Since when did the UBI or our forums here, spill of PC players wanting to play ghost recon in this mode?

I think there may be a fine line here between dedicated, and aimed?

<_<

:huh:

This game is a third person shooter. No ghost recon game for the PC has been in that mode before. Never mentioned consoles at all?

Its geared towards the Pc players aren’t I right?

You questioned my comment as if I said it was dedicated to Pc Gamers as if I meant Dedicated as a song would be.

So your question is why 3rd person shooter? I don’t know. But I can tell you I seen cover images and it’s not full blown 3rd person you will see when more images and videos keep showing up.

Just heard about this and saw the trailer.

I'm going to remain skeptical until I play the Beta which I applied for.

Ghost Recon has been going down hill since GR2 on the Xbox and PS2. After seeing this trailer, I think the hill ended, and is now falling off a cliff.

Our chances for another 'tip of the spear' Ghost Recon game has all but diminished.

This looks exactly like Crysis 2 MP. I bet there's a voice over that will say 'Cloak, engaged'. It looks like a fast-paced arcade action game. I bet you will gain XP on kills etc to spend on clothing, and you can get coloured mohawks and coloured beards for your character.

I shall see how the Beta plays, and return.

Hater gonna hate.. Troll gonna troll.

*double clicks GhostRecon.exe*

Edited by unwritt3n

Dear all,

I have never said this before in public, but I hate Ubisoft with every fiber in my body.

They have taken my favourite games franchises and either turned them into crap or killed them completely, or both!

They are continously peeing up and down the "Tom Clancy" and "Ghost Recon" names, putting out lousy game after lousy game.

Its only a matter of time before they put out "Tom Clancy's Animated Erotic Ghost Recon Chess", "LEGO Ghost Recon Future Soldier" and "Tom Clancy's Zodiac Racing Game".

I simply cannot believe the reaction I see here to what seems to be another lousy run and gun game only because it bears the name "Tom Clancy" and "Ghost Recon". Dont you see they are pulling your leg once again and laughing you right in the face?

I mean, from the trailer alone it seems clear that it has nothing to do with the Ghost Recon that we all love. Please dont make the same mistake that we all have done over and over again by getting even the slightes hopes up only to be let down again big time.

We should have learned it by now. Someone once said that you can fool all of the Ghost Recon community some of the time and some of the Ghost Recon community all the time, but you cannot fool all of the Ghost Recon community all the time!

"Our development teams are dedicated to making Ghost Recon Online a truly unique, top-quality online title."

Ubisoft, you make me sick.

Time to cut the umbilical cord, Ubisoft. You're on your own.

--SNIP!--

I’m excited because not so long ago i was working on Ghost recon - Urban Storm it was a Modification of the first game. Now I will be taking part on this game Ghost Recon Online and also be able to add my input creations/Modifications. And as well all some input given from the community.

Other reason. is because we finally have a game that is dedicated to the PC Last time we had a true dedicated game for PC was Ghost Recon OE

So this one will have a game type that is Objective based co-op missions against AI ?

So this one will have a game type that is Objective based co-op missions against AI ?

For many, this is a very important question. Personally, based on what little I have seen so far, I believe this is very unlikely, and that's why I have not dug up my UBI password to sign up for the beta. I'd love to be wrong about this, but prior history does not give me much hope for that.

This prompted me to contemplate something I consider somewhat heretical. Why doesn't UBI just go all the way and make GR:WoW (aka GR-crack). Now I hate games that include rank, accomplishments, achievements, whatever, but the general game playing public sure seems to love them and they sure seems to provide a great revenue system for a publisher. Just centralize all the servers, provide briefings, loadout selection, mission planning, and the mission itself in some virtual world setting. You could enforce requirements for inserting into a mission (all players must have succeeded some other mission, have goof achievements, pay $$$, etc.) to encourage long term play. You could even leverage the community to develop new "mission rooms/adventures/quests" and just plug them into the world.

I doubt this is this what GR:Online will be, and I know I would not be interested in all the achievement/ranking stuff that would be inevitable even if it were. So for me the point is probably moot, but I thought I'd offer my 2 cents anyway :ph34r:

:huh:

This game is a third person shooter. No ghost recon game for the PC has been in that mode before. Never mentioned consoles at all?

Its geared towards the Pc players aren't I right?

You questioned my comment as if I said it was dedicated to Pc Gamers as if I meant Dedicated as a song would be.

So your question is why 3rd person shooter? I don't know. But I can tell you I seen cover images and it's not full blown 3rd person you will see when more images and videos keep showing up.

The only reason on why is PC only is because they have to pay MS/PSN $$$$$$$$$

Once again I will try to stay positive and optimistic about this.

Admittedly, at first sight GRO does not look like it could quench any thirst for traditional Ghost Recon goodness. Third-person, cover-based, and sci-fi themed TvT run-and-gun combat is not what I and many other Ghost Recon diehards are looking for. Slapping the Tom Clancy and Ghost Recon brand names on it and adding PR spin of 'respecting core values of the Ghost Recon franchise', 'thinking man's shooter', and 'very tactical' does not change the fact that once again Ubisoft has decided to turn its back on most of the characteristics that made Ghost Recon the King of tactical squad-based shooters.

But there is a positive side.

First of all, GRO is PC-centered, which is far from what I would have expected from Ubisoft as of late. Their ongoing move towards the console market and everything that it entails (dumbing down of gameplay) did not really hold the promise that we would ever see anything catering specifically to PC gamers again. And while GRO currently looks like a console title, it is supposed to be developed with keyboard-mouse-controls in mind and apparently released exclusively for PC, so kudos to Ubisoft for that.

Additionally, GRO is free-to-play, which means that we do not have to spend any money to get a taste of it. I tend to be a lot less critical of things that are offered to me for free, and rightly so. Instead of forking over a lot of money just to find out that you bought another expensive coaster, you can try the game and decide whether it is at least worth your time. The freemium approach of GRO will also probably lead to a renewed interest in the Ghost Recon franchise in general, and anything that (re-)acquaints people with Ghost Recon in any way should be welcomed by the fan community.

Then there is the promise of community input, collaboration, and modding capabilities. I know that Ubisoft promised this for other GR themed titles ad nauseam in the past, and that the actual outcome of those promises is debatable, to say the least. But sticking to my naive optimistic nature, I am once again willing to give them the benefit of the doubt here, especially in view of this completely unexpected surprise move on their part.

In closing, do I think that GRO will be the perfect Ghost Recon successor we've all been waiting for? Certainly not. But it may be yet another chance to keep the dwindling flame burning just long enough until that successor finally arrives.

ApexMods post suggests an obvious and interesting question: 'How might an Original Ghost Recon free-2-play title fare?'... I completely agree with his assessment, and as long as GR:O isn't over-exposed before its release raising expectations to an unrealistic level, it would be difficult to mess up a game that's free to play, with so many successful examples in the F2P channel, and Ubisoft's resources behind such a game.

But how do you fellers feel something based on OGR would fare? Perhaps even using the same engine slightly updated to let it run on the broadest range of systems, offer a familiar vehicle for new content, and using the existing OGR character customization for the paid content channel... Personally, if it aesthetically came off as something between OGR and GR2 with the same content, or offered new content and same OLD OGR asethetics (or some middle ground) I'd be willing throw a $100 a year at it.

smile.gif

Edited by 101459

Lets just hope its moddable and some of the great GR modders can fix it up.

Would be good to see the following mods once its released:

- FPV Only

- Realistic Wounds

- Realistic ballistics

- No health regen

- Large open maps

- Remove Battlestar Galatic Future 1000 25-Hundred Riot shield with Blue flashy lights

- Remove Super non-stealth Neon blue glasses

- Remove Superhero abilities

- Remove Cloak <-- that still makes me lol so hard.

- Remove any sort of point/XP system/achievements and give us the vanilla solider level up of Weapon, Stealth, Endurance & Stamina

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but, generally it's not realistic to anticipate mod support on F2P games as the revenue model just doesn't support it. Ubisoft will have poured a wad into developing and sustaining GR:O to reach sell-through, and will make that money back much more slowly then 'AAA' retail channel titles. That combined with this being their first entry in the F2P-MT channel will make Ubisoft cautious and mod support very impractical for those reasons as well as all the other reasons that prevail and have made it increaslingly scarce on new titles...

huh.gif

Edited by 101459

I think someone took the Modification out of context no modding to maps and skins will take place the modding I think they speak of is the guns you can switch and edit them with attachments ether you unlocked or paid for.

That’s my guess

• 2 weeks later...

just finished watching the trailer for Ghost Recon Online at the Ubisoft Keynote, they say it was developed by a SIngapore Studio.....

Beta applications are available now. Both Ghost Recon games will connect, share achievements, online looks pretty solid for teams,

weapon customization on all levels.

it looked okay, buy i saw 2 things i didn't like

1. riot shield look-a-like

2. stealth system that might be OP

though future soldier player looked good for 4 person co-op

Edited by Pave Low
Merged with existing thread (that information has already been posted in this and other threads, Please check forums before starting a new thread)

Re: modding, I think Team Fortress 2's current "Mannconomy" setup proves that, if set up correctly, user created content and microtransactions can not only exist simultaneously, but actually promote one another. The modding community gets incentives for producing quality mods, non-modding users get new content on a regular basis, and ubi extends the life of the game without having to put nearly as much investment in 'official' new content. Everyone wins.

Anyway, I'm very learly based on the trailers I've seen, but the fact that Kimi and Giga are on this site gathering feedback is a positive sign itself.

Edited by farmboy