GR:O Announced + Trailer

Rocky

New Free-to-Play Game Brings Best Qualities of Ghost Recon Franchise Online

CITY, COUNTRY – May 24, 2011 – Today, Ubisoft announced the development of Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Online, a new multi-player, third-person, cover-based tactical shooter that will be offered free-to-play online. Ghost Recon Online is developed by Ubisoft Singapore, and offers all the best qualities of the Ghost Recon franchise in a downloadable, dynamic, PC-based online game. Ghost Recon Online launches in closed beta beginning this summer.

With Ghost Recon Online, Ubisoft is delivering the most social, connected and customizable Ghost Recon experience yet. The game offers players the ability to choose between three different classes of Ghost, customize their weapons, deploy cutting-edge military technology, and share intel with their team. Ghost Recon Online also features a rich lobby platform for hosting social and persistent progression features. Ubisoft also will back the game with a full set of services, including regular events and game content updates, customized content based on community feedback, and live support.

The online features complement Ghost Recon Online’s rich graphical environments and maps, which rival the quality of those traditionally seen only in retail games. And while the game is free for anyone to play, players also can purchase premium items and fully personalize their experience.

“Ghost Recon Online takes the best attributes of the Ghost Recon game franchise and brings them online, making the experience of being a Ghost accessible to millions of new players and fans,” said Hugues Ricour, senior producer at Ubisoft. “This game was designed from the start to be a free-to-play experience. Our development teams are dedicated to making Ghost Recon Online a truly unique, top-quality online title.”

Ghost Recon Online is Ubisoft’s latest entrant in the online gaming market and its first shooter to be offered in a free-to-play format. "For Ubisoft, delivering games as a service means offering fans the opportunity to stay connected to their favorite gaming worlds, to participate in fan-based communities and play with millions of peers from around the world.”

“The online market is an exciting new frontier for video games and for gamers,” said Yves Guillemot, chief executive officer at Ubisoft. “With Ghost Recon Online, and other major upcoming projects, Ubisoft is creating online experiences that allow our fans to stay connected to their favorite brands and to continually receive new content and gameplay. This direct link with our fans will allow us to create new and ever better experiences for them.”

Players can sign up for the closed beta and find more information on the game at http://www.ghostrecononline.com

Ghost Recon Online - Announcement Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZT_4X0LLn0.swf

Rocky you dont know how long i been wanting to talk about this So Finally Here it is I’m working on this project with UBISOFT and i will be looking for way to get the GR Community involved i just wanted to thank you guys on GhostRecon.net for all your dedication and hard work.

Again

Thanks Guys

You're not the only one that's been biting their tongue Giga :thumbsup: But the main thing is, it's official - we have a NEW Ghost Recon game coming, and it is just for PC gamers!

I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve, cannot wait to see how this pans out.... :D

:thumbsup: All signed up, <_< after trying @ 6 email address that i have used over the years for UBI games so it kept telling me they were already used ...... :rant:

@ thales Given the complete lack of PC related info for GRFS i dont think were gonna be seeing it. I think this is UBI's way of compensating :thumbsup:

It's nice to see a dedicated effort by Ubisoft exclusively geared towards PC gamers. Good to know we have not entirely been forgotten, and amazing that this comes as a surprise gift (free-to-play). Quick question: Will this be third-person only?

BTW, Nice to have Kimi and Kleaneasy on the forums once again! :thumbsup:

anyone seen any girl playable characters in the beta? i'm curious, i thought i saw one in the trailer

i love the way rocky immediately jumps on the subject and makes a new forum category :D

Good question. I'll see if I can find an answer.

Hmm invisible soldiers? :unsure:

And while the game is free for anyone to play, players also can purchase premium items and fully personalize their experience.

So poor kids will run with AK's and rich kids with super duper M4 with nuke bombs and 3 mile zoom scope? :stupid:

Maybe some kind of points system like Black Ops uses to purchase upgrades.

Doesn't this figure, I finally let my PC go the way side and now I'm hoping I have enough time to save up and have some sort of PC worthy of running this. I think I have enough spare parts laying around I can piece one together cheap... since I'm guessing my laptop won't be able to handle this, haha.

Outstanding news! Can't wait to hear and learn more about it. Downloading the trailer now!

And while the game is free for anyone to play, players also can purchase premium items and fully personalize their experience.
So poor kids will run with AK's and rich kids with super duper M4 with nuke bombs and 3 mile zoom scope? :stupid:

That's the first question that folks will need answered. I'm guessing by buying stuff you can fast track up to items that you would normally have to earn through progression.

The problem with fast tracking though is you don't learn the ropes so to speak, which can be a downside. It's a gameplay balancing issue that'll be high on the dev agenda I would suspect.

Ubisoft promises there are no tricks or hooks to "force" you into putting money down on microtransactions. While it's not clear of all the things money can buy you in Ghost Recon Online, one thing it won't earn you is an advantage on the battleground. Real-world cash can only buy items you've unlocked.

Short answer is "no".

I'm struggling to see why you guys are loving the idea of this. To me the video looks like a Halo game with a cheap Ghost Recon skin. But you guys seem to have been involved with the development. So explain to me why this is a good thing. I have an open mind.

I’m excited because not so long ago i was working on Ghost recon - Urban Storm it was a Modification of the first game. Now I will be taking part on this game Ghost Recon Online and also be able to add my input creations/Modifications. And as well all some input given from the community.

Other reason. is because we finally have a game that is dedicated to the PC Last time we had a true dedicated game for PC was Ghost Recon OE

I'm glad you are excited about this. But just because it is the first dedicated Ghost Recon game for PC doesn't mean it will be any good. TBH It will probably be a good game for casual players but I definitely don't think it for the likes of us.