Presentations at E3 (2011)

Arma 3 will be featured in private presentations at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) June 7th-9th.

Bohemia Interactive will be located in the South Hall in booth #2803.

For inquiries regarding appointments, please contact Miss Mika Kelly, Clever Communications, at mika@clevercomm.com

So should be some good reactions and feedback articles once the press get to see it :)

• 3 weeks later...

Some Gamespot guys are at E3 right now streaming a live feed. They sat in on an Arma 3 presentation, which should be up on Youtube soon.

There wasn't a whole lot of new information, but some in-game footage reveals or confirms the following:

• In-mission weapon customization. Switch optics, suppressors, grips etc on the fly.
  • Improved water simulation; realistic wave effects, diving, piloting of Swimmer Delivery Vehicles.
  • Improved HALO/parachuting.
  • Volumetric clouds which realistically cast shadow on the environment.
  • Game world is 900 sq. km with over 50 villages, all buildings enterable and destructible.
  • 3D mission editor
  • Render-to-Texture (Mirrors, cameras etc)
  • Physics - Ragdoll animations, improved vehicle collision, object interactions.
  • Sandbox style SP campaign (no co-op campaign this time)

Video. Starts at about 1:20.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3YHbcYK82E.swf

And here is the better-quality Gamespot feed, don't know how long that will stay up. BIS section starts at 2:12 with Carrier Command, then Take On Helicopters at 2:20, and 2:41 for Arma 3;

Maybe we might have got some more interesting information if the camera guy didn't keep choosing silly questions that the community asked. Will the aiming deadzone be in the game? Will FLIR still be in it? YES OF COURSE THEY WILL. ASK SOMETHING RELEVANT!

Well I did catch the comment that the engine will be able to render to a texture. So working mirrors and much more realistic sights should be a distinct possibility in the future. Other than the camera/interview guy not really seeming to have any context other than to ask forwarded questions and say "hi" for people who were online, I enjoyed watching this.

High quality video of the E3 presentation:

Part1

Part2

Part3

The environment looks outstanding. Ivan Buchta again confirms that every building in every town will be enterable, and that even the smallest towns have approximately 100 buildings. So they're all at least on the scale of the largest cities in Arma 2.

You can also get a better look at the Ragdoll animations and particle effects ("we watched 2 hours of grenade explosions to get it right").

EDIT:

of the same presentation. Just a different run through, you can see different Ragdoll reactions etc. Edited by 2nd Ranger

• 3 weeks later...

Seven Minutes Of Arma 3 Footage

German games mag GameStar has managed to get a look at Arma 3 in action. The tech is looking several strides ahead of the previous Arma game, and surprisingly bright and colourful, too. The demo shows a bit of sniping, vehicles, and the new physics in action. The resolution and view distance of the landscapes also appears to be better than real life. At the end of the demo, there’s something a bit new, too: underwater combat. It’s all the rage, eh?

And don’t worry, Englishers, the actual presentation is in our default language.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bz9mIgaBmU8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Source

Tinker, That's just the presentation from E3 (2011), It's not new (we already had a thread on them)

Not sure why rockpapershotgun took 3 weeks to post about it, (The date on the YouTube page even shows it was uploaded by GameStarDE on June 10, 2011)

or why they are acting like GameStar got a scoop... as anyone who was at E3 got the same one

Looking forward to this even though I have only scratched the surface of Arma2.

Tried to get Team NH interested in it by playing the OA demo 5 or 6 Sundays but in the end some were not real enthused. :(

Played a couple of times with Alpha Squad who know how to get the most out of the co-op experience.

Had a good time and felt welcomed. Thanks AS.

Arma2 and potentially Arma3 are the closest thing to the old Ghost Recon. I don't understand why more old schoolers don't play it. Might be because it is such a huge game in more ways then one.:lol:

It's a game you really need to put some time into before you realise if you like it or not. People have come into our TS channel sometimes and asked if it was any good, and I just can't recommend it to anyone outright. It is not a polished game, certainly not one you can just drop into, not least of all because of the learning curve of some aspects but also because playing a few quick missions is not going to demonstrate its full experience which, as you say, is huge.

Here's to hoping they make Arma 3 a bit more user-friendly and, dare I say, accessible.

Edited by 2nd Ranger

i like the fact they added changing hardware on the fly. I always thought a system that you could edit on the fly was better than 500 weapons versions.great idea. I also like the use of water finally being used to its total potential. Was it me or did the sub look pretty awesome?

Arma2 and potentially Arma3 are the closest thing to the old Ghost Recon. I don't understand why more old schoolers don't play it. Might be because it is such a huge game in more ways then one

Because of the system requirements and spuradic performance results. At least in my group of friends.good systems

Here's to hoping they make Arma 3 a bit more user-friendly and, dare I say, accessible.

Amen brother

Edited by twcrash

Yup, what 2nd ranger said. Personally, I suspect things will not be wildly different with ArmA 3 -- I just think BI is not inclined to push for that level of accessibility. There seem to be plenty of hardcore nut-jobs like us that will figure it out and use the tool for a long time that they can keep selling the "game version" of their products as a good profitable side-line to the product they produce for their military customers.

@Wombat, (and 2nd Ranger) and anyone else is always more than welcome on our TS and game servers. We have a nice stable set of mods that we have been running for ~4-5 months now that really can make for a great small unit infantry centric coop play experience. Just click on my sig for info.

They did go some way to making things easier with the tutorials in OA, which were far more detailed than anything they'd done before. They should seriously focus on making the Editor easier to use though; for alot of people it is really the main feature of the game, so I think new users should be able to create a simple but fully functional mission without having to mess around with external scripts and HTML etc.