Install only wants to UNinstall

Ok, I switched operating systems from XP to 7 and wasn't able to get my Ghost Recon to run. Since I can't live without it, I switched back to XP. But I think I was having a problem with my video. During my trying to figure it all out, I did something to my game to the point where I can't install/uninstall my game in order to set it all up again. Akll it wants to do is run an uninstall that doesn't even really do that right. Even if I download it again, it does the same thing. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

policetac

Edited by policetac

Ok, I switched operating systems from XP to 7 and wasn't able to get my Ghost Recon to run.

Many people here run GR on W7 both 32 and 64bit versions :thumbsup:

Yes, Ghost Recon should work perfectly fine on Windows 7

I have installed it on a number of different machines/Laptops without any issues at all and have not needed to even try any compatibility modes

Maybe give Win 7 another chance (but do a clean install of it and ensure all DirectX and drivers are up-todate) then load GR/DS/IT fresh and patch

then post full and exact details of any problems you get and we'll do our best to help you work through them.

probably good idea to also include the full specs of you PC/Laptop with fault reports

also let us know what the retail version of GR you have is (EG "Gold" on DVD or if It's a digital download etc and do you have DS & IT Etc and what patches you have Etc..)

Since I can't live without it
you have definitely come to the right website, there are a number of us die-hards here who feel exactly the same

where GR is the first game installed on every new PC and while we may not play it every week it is always there ready for action :D

I did something to my game to the point where I can't install/uninstall my game in order to set it all up again.

The most obvious thing is that they went and deleted the game folders, without running the uninstallers. I did this long time ago also, and had the same issue. Searching for ghost recon / red storm entertainment in the registery editor found the enteries that needed removing.

Run> Regedit.

in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

..............SOFTWARE

......................Red Storm Entertainment <---- Get rid of this Key

if it ain't there, sorry, cant help you, don't know anything further than that...

and yes mods the full stops are necessary :P

Edited by zeealice

I'll try that today thank you.I'll let you know how it goes.

Sincerely,

policetac

Saturday 9:30 PM PST

Ok, I went into the registry and found those entry's I've deleted them and am going to try a reinstall. I'll let you all know how it goes. Thank you.

Sincerely,

policetac

I'm really glad you guys mentioned it here though. I've been out here on the web for quite a while, and I'm pretty good at most computer things, but I've NEVER considered editing the registry before. Oh, I've been tempted from time to time for one reason or another because I've had a problem or something and some place told me to "Just do this" "Uuugghhh UUgghhh!" "No Way!" "I just know I'll screw something up!"

Well, you folks answered my post, and you gave me very simple and specific instructions on what to do, so I tried it. AND was successful!

Not only did I fix my problem, but I did so without making my computer go boom!

Thank you!

Personally, I doubt if there are very many places who can honestly say that one of their site visitors trusted them. But for some reason I did. And apparently was correct to do so. For some reason I just knew.

Keep up the great work!

VIVA LA GHOST RECON!!!!

Sincerely,

policetac

i dont understand registry entries, they dont do anything exciting and it's even more of a pain in the ass when you want to uninstall a game.

Think of it like an index or table of contents so your operating system knows where to find things.

anyway, problem solved=topic locked. no?

The problem may be solved but there maybe others that have something useful to add, the decision to lock threads is taken by the forum moderators.

BTW Alex, deleted your last post on this thread, do you recall a certain PM I sent you. :P

You're not talking to me are you? Because I don't care if the thread ends or not. Personally, I see it as a way for people to keep learning. Threads have a way of following their own destiny when it comes to free associative thought. The best kind! :)