Osama Bin Laden Killed

Ruin

Agree with Ruin.

zeealice, I have deleted your post, this is an interesting discussion so lets keep it friendly and keep on topic, name calling only ends in arguments and contributes nothing to the discussion.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Ruin, I'm on topic lol. I'm talking about CIA as they were coordinating the action. I'm not attempting to insult anyone, I hope I didn't pass this impression.

If Osama was disarmed, how could he offer resistance to armed high-trained SEALs? :blink: Aren't they trained in hand-to-hand combat? To knock down an ancient would be a piece of cake.

So the whole mission had as objective assassination, not aprehension, of Osama bin Laden.

Aprehending him would have supplied CIA with a lot of information, and sentencing him for death would have prevented him to become a martyr to most people, as he wouldn't resist the death.

First, the SEAL team had no idea he was unarmed, he could have had a weapon, a grenade or even a detonator for a booby trap. If he was going to surrender, he would have had to have his hands up and open, otherwise, he is resisting and you take the shot. Any furtive movement on his part could be anything, reaching for a weapon or a grenade. You only have a split second to make that judgement, and I would never second guess those operators. However, he had no intention to surrender, Bin Laden was a hard core jihadist, he was wounded in Afghanistan several times, he would never give himself up to Americans. The operators made the only decision they could, the documents seized should be very revealing.

That settles it then. Just goes to prove my philosophy that being in possession of a sense of humoUr can get you in trouble these days. So can giving justification for your answers, apparently. :P

BTW, I bring up government polices because I have my reasons to believe they control the media coverage, but I won't justify those reasons. Which can be seen as (indirectly) relevant and on topic, as this whole Bin Laden (I will avoid humoUrously adjusting the letters in his surname as being in possession of a sense of humoUr will only get me in trouble) is dead thing has huge media coverage. :)

Agree with Ruin.

zeealice, I have deleted your post, this is an interesting discussion so lets keep it friendly and keep on topic, name calling only ends in arguments and contributes nothing to the discussion.

hey she's having fun :P

(and she was on the wrong computer!!!)

Edited by Zeealex

sorry i get confused, i see a computer on and think i was signed in :P

aaanyway, i'll keep my opinions to myself and shut up from now on, yes? is that what you want? okay, lets all be humorless because obviously i'm not allowed to have a sense of humour anymore <_<

oh wait i'm off topic again, ugh you know what i'll come back in a week when this bullcrap has blown over.

Edited by zeealice

Agree with Ruin.

hey she's having fun :P

(and she was on the wrong computer!!!)

sorry i get confused, i see a computer on and think i was signed in :P

aaanyway, i'll keep my opinions to myself and shut up from now on, yes? is that what you want? okay, lets all be humorless because obviously i'm not allowed to have a sense of humour anymore <_<

oh wait i'm off topic again, ugh you know what i'll come back in a week when this bullcrap has blown over.

First I want to say that I'm glad to see that you are out of the hospital and doing well, zeealice.

Secondly, this isn't about not having a sense of humour, it's about the forum rules, which clearly state that no politics and no personal attacks (name calling) are permitted in these forums.

This thread is a touchy subject already and has me with my finger poised over the lock button, let's not do anything to make me actually push that button (I'm talking to all participating in this thread).

He is dead.

It is the CIA's job to not let us know what and how they do things.

The current task at hand of capturing our most wanted list has been done as far as number 1 and I'm sure it was Dead or Alive.

May God or your Belief be apon those whom has lost thier lives and now we all will move on to the next chapter of the book of life.

The debate today coming from the WH is whether or not to release any photos like we commonly do for HVTs. We know OBL took at least one shot to the face from a .308 or 7.62mm rifle so I imagine it is pretty gory. The WH is hesitant because of the gore and not wishing to inflame other extremist groups.

I'm on the fence with this. I'm not sure how I feel about releasing such a photo. The last thing we need is to make things worse for our fighting men and women overseas because of a picture used to prove what's already been proven. At the same time, I'd get permagrin for a while after seeing it. I'm just glad I'm not the man in the oval office.

Also, Pakistan has finally come out and said they're not too pleased with US. So I wonder how this will play out too.

It's harder for Al-Queda to prove that he is still alive vs USA proving his dead.

If I was a Psych-Op Officer or a Psychologist, this I would do. Plus this is not a trial court. Which I'm glad it is not. Hate for the USA to spend on trial lawyers and jail personnels and housing. Then the extra layer of protecting UBL.

If UBL is alive and kept by CIA, I hope they sit him next to Isaac Hayes and Jimmy Hoffa. Someone needs to stop those two from bickering.

I'm not shock that Pakistan is playing the upset role. Gotta save face from the rest of the Muslim Community. After all, once US Personnel leave the theater, who's going to get beat down from the extremist. If Pakistan has any credit left, maybe the UN can still use them as Blue Helmet personnel.

Dell and AT&T can always move the Call Center somewhere else, and no one would be able to tell the difference over the phone or support chatline.

on that subject Ledanek, i have my own "theory" that isnt humorous or offensive, so it is within the forum rule blady blady blah

i'm thinking maybe Pakistan was threatened by bin laden to keep quiet, but pakistan sort of just sort of let the US troops in without seeing a thing. because i can imagine if pakistan go around blabbing to the UN or anyone else, it would have been one ugly situation for them. (uglier than now i would say)

i thought pakistan weren't playing it as much as i thought they would. mind you i might just keep my thoughts from coming out just there. i dont want my post deleted AGAIN because i spoke my mind.

I'm on the fence with this. I'm not sure how I feel about releasing such a photo.

it would put conspiracy theorists in their place for a start.

why didn't the reply join like it usually does :huh:

Edited by zeealice

why didn't the reply join like it usually does :huh:

It's a timing thing. If the second post was within 10 minutes of the first, they would be joined. :thumbsup:

ugh Political correctness is so boring! any chance of a political and non political board. or is your rules the net rules for all forums too?

In response to your sig question. This rule is for all forums run by Rocky and Co. There are boards specifically for political discussion. This board's primary purpose is for the Tom Clancey's Ghost Recon games.

well it's official:

WH is not releasing the pictures.

for me:

UBL: dead

conspiracy: alive

what's real:

gas prices up

AT&T going to limit bandwidth/ month (how is it in your country?)

(less LOLcats for me :wall: )

glad I don't subscribe to Netflix

TSA will dig deeper in my crevices

more stay-cations

more GR mods to play :thumbsup:

About silent choppers, you know they exist don't you? They are not noiseless, of course. The sound of the engine is decreased, but the sound of the rotors remains.

This made me chuckl just a bit, I'm sorry. Marcinko would know, more than most of the rest of us. Regarding MH-60's, they most definitely are not quiet. They're very loud, in fact. It's just difficult to tell where they're coming from, until they're fairly close. The 160th has been here in town on occasion (for training, I presume) and let me tell you, when an MH-60 flies over your house at 2AM, it's NOT quiet, hehe!

Regarding silent choppers. Reduced engine noice is one. But they have been working on the rotar blades now for a long time, and some strange looking things are working when it comes to cutting the noise out. Cannot find the article I was reading today, but here is 1 similar: Link

Regarding silent choppers. Reduced engine noice is one. But they have been working on the rotar blades now for a long time, and some strange looking things are working when it comes to cutting the noise out. Cannot find the article I was reading today, but here is 1 similar: Link

I recall reading, back when I still had a computer that could run Longbow Gold, that one way to minimize rotor noise is to increase the total number of blades. That way, they don't have to spin as fast to provide the same lift. Part of the source of the noise is that the rotor tips are moving faster than the speed of sound. Again, this is all from hazy recollection. Would you believe average angular velocity of a helicopter rotor is not commonly published information? I guess another approach would be to broaden each rotor blade, but I would think that that approach would limit maneuverability.

Longbow Gold was an awesome game.

About silent choppers, you know they exist don't you? They are not noiseless, of course. The sound of the engine is decreased, but the sound of the rotors remains.

This made me chuckl just a bit, I'm sorry. Marcinko would know, more than most of the rest of us. Regarding MH-60's, they most definitely are not quiet. They're very loud, in fact. It's just difficult to tell where they're coming from, until they're fairly close. The 160th has been here in town on occasion (for training, I presume) and let me tell you, when an MH-60 flies over your house at 2AM, it's NOT quiet, hehe!

"They are not noiseless, of course. The sound of the engine is decreased, but the sound of the rotors remains.".

The rotors speed is ultrasonic, so you can hear the peculiar "crack", the same applies to projectiles.

They may be somewhat in early stages, but you never know what they hide :whistle:

I don't know if it's possible to slow down the rotors to subsonic speed (aprox. 340m/s, wich is easily surpassed thanks to the lenght of the blades) and still be able to make the thing lift, maybe new shapes to the blades?

EDIT---

Good links pave.

This quote from Aviation Week is interesting:

It was a secretly developed stealth helicopter, probably a highly modified version of an H-60 Blackhawk. Photos published in the Daily Mail and on the Secret Projects board show that the helicopter's tail features stealth-configured shapes on the boom and tip fairings, swept stabilizers and a "dishpan" cover over a non-standard five-or-six-blade tail rotor. It has a silver-loaded infra-red suppression finish similar to that seen on some V-22s.

No wonder the team tried to destroy it. The photos show that they did a thorough job - except for the end of the tailboom, which ended up outside the compound wall. (It almost looks as if the helo's tail hit the wall on landing.)

Edited by Operative

I can tell you I have not seen any strange choppers around but if they become common I would know as I live 30 Miles from the 160th and if I am not at my house I am at my dad's whom lives 15-10 miles from the 160th.

Remember it's radar reflection more than noise they would be looking for.

For fixedwing, radar concealment is the main point, not to helicopters, as they fly lower and slower.

Besides, fixed-wing aircraft usually moves faster than the sound, so noise control is pointless, but helicopters are able to fly in subsonic speeds.