OF: Red River - 5040x1050 Screenshots

Yes, its a great game. :thumbsup:

I second that. It's no BF or CoD, but it's still great.

I thought the swearing in AC2 and SCC was bad, then I played OFP Red River and SSGT Knox started talking. Imagine a machine gun that shoots swears rather than bullets, that's SSGT Knox (or the player spamming the 'Corpsman' command) :)

Edited by WytchDokta

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thales, did you know that you can change the gear of your fireteam too? I just found out through messing around. In the mission lobby screen, where it shows your fireteam, highlight one of the fireteam members. It should then come up at the bottom saying you can edit their loadout by pressing whatever key it is on the PC. You can give them any weapons you've unlocked. It's amazing what you can find out through messing about. :)

EDIT: You can even change their class too.

Edited by WytchDokta

Mmm ? Thanks, ill check it tonight and post back ! :thumbsup:

Put it this way, i'm doing the mission 'Line in the Sand' yet again, and I have Soto as a Rifleman (he has the character model of the Rifleman too), with medic abilities. I have Taylor with the shotgun for secondary weapon, and I gave the Mk. 48 Mod 0 to Balletto. I'm playing as the Scout.

EDIT: Balletto is particularly lethal with the Mk. 48 Mod 0 while suppressing. Also, it seems that choosing a sniper scope for Soto (rather than giving him the ACOG scope) allows him to engage targets farther away. The same should be true of all fireteam members. I'm still testing it out. I hvae noticed too, that if you give Soto the M4 as a secondary weapon he seems to use in instead of the DMR at medium range, even if you have no scope on the M4. This could just be the map though. I have also not seem Balletto switch to his M4 (secondary) in CQB areas since I gave him that as a secondary, he seems to just stick with the Mk. 48 Mod 0 for all ranges. I'm still testing this out.

EDIT EDIT: It seems the stat tracker in the Xbox version is broken - it reckons I've fired 79 anti- tank rounds, yet I have 114 kills with AT weapons. Figure that out then. It might be because the AI like to take cover behind tanks/APC's so I'd often end up taking out the armour and a few infantry too. However, according the stat tracker, I also have more AA kills than AA rounds fired.

Edited by WytchDokta

EDIT EDIT: It seems the stat tracker in the Xbox version is broken - it reckons I've fired 79 anti- tank rounds, yet I have 114 kills with AT weapons. Figure that out then. It might be because the AI like to take cover behind tanks/APC's so I'd often end up taking out the armour and a few infantry too. However, according the stat tracker, I also have more AA kills than AA rounds fired.

Could it be that it's tracking how many people you've killed rather than the number of vehicles?

Could it be that it's tracking how many people you've killed rather than the number of vehicles?

Could be. Also, blood squirts out of helicopers if you shoot at them with small arms fire. Come on CM, patch this already. One thing did notice after changing Soto's class to Rifleman and giving him the M16/M203 is that when ordered to supress a position, he did so ONLY with M203 rounds. Also, it seems that setting a team mate AI to the Rifleman class with the medic abilities, effectively turns that team member into the designated medic - Just tried this out a few times on different missions and the team member set as Rifleman with medic abilites ALWAYS came over to heal me when i called for Corpsman, even if he was considerably further away than other team members. The other team mambers seemingly ignored my Corpsman calls, whilst on the Rifleman came over to heal me.

Just had another go at the first mission against the PLA. I played as the Auto Rifleman this time. Although I found it considerably easier, I still got only a silver medal for completing the mission, and I completed all objectives. I figure now that time factors into the awarded medal, as both times it's taken me just over one hour. I could probably shave twenty minutes off this if i didn't go about destroying the tanks. I thought taking out the tanks at the FOB was an objective, but it takes like eight rockets to take out a single tank from the front, apparently. The one facing at 90 degrees to the player can be nailed in two-three direct rocket hits. Anyone got gold on this mission yet, if so, how?

3 of my friends who love tactical shooters have told me this game is a pile of crap. Worse than Dragon rising, which I find hard to believe saying how god awful that was. Im getting a free copy to review soon so I'll judge for myself.

Have to admit I have little faith in Codemasters when they admit they are not capable of doing a good single player and co-op experience AND adding a mission editor and adversarial gameplay. That's basically saying yes I know we are ###### but we are gona try our best.

Which in turn reminds of a quote from sean connery. Losers whine about their best, winners go home and fk the prom queen.

Edited by BS PALADIN

3 of my friends who love tactical shooters have told me this game is a pile of crap.

I could say the same about other games released recently. Atleast Red River does not have enemies wearing invisible power armour, enemies armed with sniper-grenades, and enemies that can shoot through solid concrete cover - unlike a certain other game released in March that everyone is all over saying how great it is. Enemies shooting through the solid concrete pillar you're using for cover? Explain to me how that is great. I'm all for games that do not have enemies wearing invisible power armour, enemies armed with sniper-grenades, and enemies that can shoot through solid concrete cover.

now now wytch dont bring homefront into this :P

Homefront? More like the majority of shooters out there nowadays.

But still, anyone know how to bag gold on Mission 5? Hmmm, just thinkking about this now. Is calling in arty to driop smoke rounds to cover you falling back a bonus objeective? If so, not completing that objective cpuld be why I can't get gold rating. However, on my second run through the mission, I did call in arty to drop smoke rounds, and still got silver rating. I only called it in once though.

Edited by WytchDokta

I can understand wanting to like a game that has tactical aspects but a turd covered in whipped cream and sprinkles is still a turd. I'll wait to be convinced after being stung by DR.

It's a pity BI and Codemasters couldn't work together again. Together they made a classic tactical shooter ( 2 classics if you include the expansion OFP : Resistance ).

Innit. Especially when you get halfway to the position you gotta fall back too, then get either shot in the leg (so you can't sprint) or get shot elsewhere but it's a prenatrative wound that starts to bleed out. I ain't got time to bleed.

Just did the 3rd mission without getting hit, as a Scout. I had some good tactics there. Set Soto as the Rifleman, and have him stay close to the enemy with Taylor. Balletto stays further back suppressing, and I'll hang back (sometimes with Balletto, sometimes in an elevated positon) and adopt an opportunist approach - take out enemies as and when, not necessarily take out more enemies than the rest of the FT.

Just need to figure out some better tactics for the missions where you have to hold then fall back. Thales, I found mission 5 easier when I played as the Auto Rifleman. In the areas you are to hold, I got into an elevated position where I could cover one flank completely. No enemies made it into the courtyard areas on my side at any courtyard. They did get into the courtyards via alternate angles, so next time, I'll probably set up my FT to suppress all the entranceways.

@Paladin, again, I could say the same thing about most modern FPS's, especially those overrated.

On a side note: Thales, I'm planning to do mission 5 again, until I get my gold rank. When I nail a gold rank, I'll let you know how. BTW, did you see my DS2 Zealot guide?

Alright, finally nailed it. Third time lucky. Mission completion time does factor into rank awarded. The first time I did mission 5, it took me 1 hour 7 minites, the second time it took me 1 hour 6 minutes, the third time I completed it in just over 55 minutes. I got a silver rank on on my first two tries and got a gold on the third - I completed all optional objectives on the second run, but no gold rank, so I know that time factors into it.

I did NOT use smoke grenades, didn't have any on me. It comes up on screen telling you to pop smoke, but you do NOT need to to obtain gold as it is NOT an objective. You also do NOT need to destroy ALL tanks at the FOB. In fact, on my third run, I only destroyed two tanks, then the Chinese 'Fantan'(?) aircraft came in. Then Knox gives the order to fall back to the LZ. Everything is dependent on that aircraft coming in. If you're still destroying tanks after 55 minutes and the no sign of the Chinese aircraft then you likely won't get gold. I thought destroying the tanks causes the aircraft to show up, but that's not the case according to my third run. The ONLY thing I did different, which could be the trigger event for the aircraft coming in, was destroying the tanks in a different order - I took out the tank that is facing at 90 degrees (the only tank with it's side facing you) second, then the aircraft came. In theory, taking only that tank out could bring completion time down again, IF destroying it is the trigger event for the aircraft.

According to the stat tracker, I've fired over 400 grenades from the M203 GL. That primarily with the Grenadier. What can I say, the 'Underslung Grenade' crates are frequent in missions, so I can fire them off and refill and unlimited amount of times. Like on Mission 7, almost every area you fall back to then hold has those supply crates, along with standard ammo supply crates. So when holding the line. At the village (the crate is next to FT Alpha's position) I can just roam in that area, firing off all 40mm GL grenades at the enemies, then refill 40mm grenades capacity to max from the grenade supply crate. Talk about grenade spam (I view it as suppressing the enemies positions with the M203) :) Mobile 'on tap' heavy fire support FTW. I just need to work on hitting enemy choppers with the M203 now.

Ok I,ve read alot of mixed reviews but is the game any good, after the trouble with OFDR which is now abit more playable thanks largely to work done to it after support was dropped by Codemaster, I am wary of getting it and being disappointed yet again. I am wanting to like it so any feed back would be most welcome.........thanks :D

LOL. I won't answer it either because whenever I post about how good a game is (or isn't), some-one always posts a counter argument, or something to the contrary of what I said. So Wireman, it looks like you're on your own. :) Maybe try doing what I do - I decide whether a game is good not; I don't listen to the reviewers. Then again, what do I know?

Thales, I figured a way to complete that Mission 5 a lot quicker an easier: have four human players all as the Auto Rifleman class; split them down into two two's - two cover each direction in the courtyard, positioned near the ammo crates, primarily picking off stragglers; two cover the flanks from an elevated position. When those in the elevated positions run low ammo, those in the courtyard relieve them - both teams swap positions (allowing those previously in the elevated position to grab some ammo on their way to swap with the team in the courtyard. The sheer volume of sustained fire from four Auto Riflemen should make that mission a breeze. In theory, it could be done with human players of one of each class, if they were all very good players - the teammate AI sucks on the first part of this mission. That might be a bug though - order the FT to fall back and they will start to, but then stop and turn around to engage enmies shooting at them from behind. Then they get gunned down. Well, that happens when you don't have smoke grenades anyway. :)

No demo afaik.

Mission 6 (night) is soooo GR... :thumbsup:

Yep. And difficult when you can't figure out how to activate NVG's on Xbox (manual is not clear) and when you hadn't yet unlocked a thermal scope. Fun mission though, with several Grenadiers all carrying C4. Get them all to spam the C4 on the road, and when the convoy drives over them, simultaneously detonate that ######. It was like a Massive Ordnance Ground Bursting bomb. See what I did there?

Also, on Mission 3, right at the end, there is a side entrance into the enemy strong hold. It's easier to assault through that way, although, the enemies do have a .50 covering that entrance.

Now if I could only bag gold on those CSAR FTE missions. The Rolling Thunder FTE's are pretty easy if you take a humvee and drive on ahead of the convoy, and try to remain 200 metres ahead of the convoy. Then you can jump out and take out enemies with your FT and hop back in without having to stop the convoy. The enemies with IED triggers will not target players and those with RPG's will fire only at players if they remain far ahead of the convoy. But that's the point, you need to make then shoot at you and not at the convoy. I did this just now, and just parked the hummer short of the final way point. I sat there and waited for the convoy to pass through. They never even got shot at once because I drove on ahead of the convoy and remained quite far ahead of them at all times.

Edited by WytchDokta

Well, it seems you can break the flow of the missions, and void completion of current objectives on some missions. The game gets confused and thus, you current objective will not complete. I had this happen a few times now. Every time I was the Scout and I took out the enemies 300-400 metres ahead before advancing on the objective. Just did it just now on Mission 4, killed all enemies in the second compound (along with a few others along the route down the ravine. Binoculars FTW) firstly from the roof of a building at the site of the first compound (the compound you JDAM the ###### out of), and secondly from the riverbank opposite the second compound.

When I moved in on the second compound, I found that 1 enemy remained, and he was holed up inside a building. I killed him and it did not register completion of the 'Clear the Enemy Compound' objective, nor did it give me the next objective. Damn, I was having fun locating targets with the binoculars then dropping them from a few hundred metres away. Then I seemingly broke the game. :)

Edited by WytchDokta

Sounds like more of the same because of their heavy dependence on scripting. Since the engine can't handle more than a ludicrously small number of entities at any given time (something like 63), to give the illusion of large scale battles, there's this complicated dance of spawn-in-spawn-out which is governed by scripts. This isn't a problem in highly linear games (e.g. Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, etc) where you can physically prevent the player from running ahead to break things without making it feel arbitrary. However, in an ostensibly open-world game like Red River, it limits the player in ways that completely break authenticity.

Edited by Pave Low
Removed unnecessary quote (If you are replying to the latest post you don't need to quote the whole thing all again - Please use the "Add Reply" button instead of "Reply" in such cases)

Well, it seems you can break the flow of the missions, and void completion of current objectives on some missions. The game gets confused and thus, you current objective will not complete. I had this happen a few times now. Every time I was the Scout and I took out the enemies 300-400 metres ahead before advancing on the objective. Just did it just now on Mission 4, killed all enemies in the second compound (along with a few others along the route down the ravine. Binoculars FTW) firstly from the roof of a building at the site of the first compound (the compound you JDAM the ###### out of), and secondly from the riverbank opposite the second compound.

When I moved in on the second compound, I found that 1 enemy remained, and he was holed up inside a building. I killed him and it did not register completion of the 'Clear the Enemy Compound' objective, nor did it give me the next objective. Damn, I was having fun locating targets with the binoculars then dropping them from a few hundred metres away. Then I seemingly broke the game. :)

that's another reason i dont like OFP. happened on Dragon Rising as well.

you try and be smart and the game doesnt like it.

that's another reason i dont like OFP. happened on Dragon Rising as well.

you try and be smart and the game doesnt like it.

It's still a great filler game, to fill time up until Brink is released. And it has relatively easy achievements.

Also, no enemies wearing invisible power armour, no cheating AI (but it does have AI who think they are stunt drivers) and correct terminology (although 'sniper scope' is not the official name for that attachment, it has a model number in real life.) Can't say the same for other games released recently.

but it does have AI who think they are stunt drivers

:rofl:

I seen some footage like that lately on magic-tube.

Apart from the usual bashing over at the Arma forums, everywhere else seems to to be mildy pleased with this so far. Away from the simulator game it used to be, and more towards a tight group, playing a regular fps game. Now if they had just renamed the thing in the first place, dragon rising would of been there first full release, and this would maybe taken a lot more interest from all?

However, the silly tether hits the limelight as always. Moving 50M away from an area and blah blah... If you are going to have such a vast area, you have to make the missions/maps around the tether restrictions surely?

TBH I only bought DR to play in the (better than Igor editor) :lol: was fun, but far from the supieriority of Igor. No mission editor had ever even come close to that so far, but still... Not really surprising they did not release an editor this time, when more people play user content, than buy DLC. ;)

However, I thought Magnum made a really good review of the game in coop mode, found HERE and HERE