Another Computer build advice topic

Cobblers

considering it's power i think you'll be alright with the stock cooler, download core temp and keep an eye on the temperatures if if you think it is too far towards the max temperature, then get one.

the i7 should run at 30-40 degrees as normal temps. i don't know what the max is, for the sandy bridge if that's what you have, considering i haven't touched one yet so i cna't comment there.

but you call the shots.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will see how things go and react accordingly regards the temperature....

On a low note the equipment I am waiting for won't be dispatched until Tuesday (due to Bank Holiday Monday) so will arrive on Wednesday instead.

Why do I always do these things around a bank holiday period?! :wall:

Well if I am lucky to get my equipment sent out to me this week then I will of course set out straight away towards putting the thing together.

Anyoue out there know of a good online A-Z of how to put your PC together. I do have basic knowledge of adding cards etc, but never from scratch.

So recommendations greatly appreciated.

all the times i have built a PC, i have always built from the case to the graphic card. so i usually do it as:

Case open, motherboard in, RAM in, CPU in, Cooler on, hard drives mounted, CD drive mounted, everything so far, wired up, PSU inserted and wired up. test. insert GPU and other periphirals. test, install windows. enjoy.

get to know users manuals and POST errors back to front and always earth yourself to prevent static charge

this guy does it different to me but it is the way you feel most comfortable doing it.

http://compactiongames.about.com/od/hardware/a/byogamingpc_3.htm

Edited by Zeealex

I would recommend fitting the CPU and RAM to the motherboard, then fitting the motherboard to the case for sure, like in the link shown in Buehgler`s post.

However, before you fit the motherboard, look in the case. Can you route some cables behind the board in the casing before you fit the mobo. Maybe a power cable to the graph card, or the mobo. I think you got the same case as myself, if so there are some holes you can route your cables through. But you cannot do this if you fit the mobo first.

I would recommend fitting the CPU and RAM to the motherboard, then fitting the motherboard to the case for sure, like in the link shown in Buehgler`s post.

However, before you fit the motherboard, look in the case. Can you route some cables behind the board in the casing before you fit the mobo. Maybe a power cable to the graph card, or the mobo. I think you got the same case as myself, if so there are some holes you can route your cables through. But you cannot do this if you fit the mobo first.

Agreed.

Also put any cd roms / dvd in the case a head of time with power connected. Hdds only if they aren't in the way of sliding the mainboard in which they usually are. Don't forget to put backpane in before mainboard and all gold risers that keep the mainboard from shorting on the case. Make sure they match where the mainboard is as the case will have holes for didffernt mainboard types and you don't wantthe mainboard covering one and shorting it out

This community sucks!! <_<

But seriously, I've got the text messages and the emails to confirm that all is arriving tomorrow - can't wait!!!

And I'm off from work until the 3rd May, so plenty of game time - so long as I and the PC rig stay problem free.

But even if you can't get here, all should be at hand 24/7 in case I have more questions.

Well it's all done.

Didn't use my father in law to help me out in the end, for the stuff didn't arrive until 3pm and didn't fancy having him around all day! :P

Took me about 4 hours to do everything, but booted it all up and hey presto it worked first time. Managed to connect everything together with a bit of help from the guides on the net and the manuals - amazing what you can accomplish when you read up what to do first!!

Edit: final thank you to all who've helped me out with getting this system up and running. Really, really appreciated!!