Crysis 2 - Gameplay feedback

Tinker

The game is visually stunning, running it on the new machine at 1920x1200, all maxed out, with no issues at all.

The game is visually stunning, did I mention that?

Playing the SP campain at present. See an enemy, go invisible, kill enemy. See an enemy, go invisible, kill enemy....... :hmm: Played about an hour so far, and TBH, enough for me. Might as well play GR with all the console commands on.

How am I able to pick up any random weapon off the ground and it automagically goes invisible with me, but any other object does not. Not sure. How do those weapons become apart of my very tightly fitted suit?

I think this game is aimed at MP? Fair play, it is really fantastic to look at. But the SP so far sucks cheesy stuff.

I wanted to post a few screens, but all I get is a black piccy here, using W7, printscreen, paste in MS paint.

Love the wheelybins that have lids that can stand up at 90 degree angle, that is a tough challenge to do IRL. That lid is going to flop 1 way or the other, but they seem to of mastered the art in gravity with them. Being picky because the game is super n00b simple to play. See enemy, go invisible, kill enemy... Yawn!

Probably spend more time in there, just because it does look amazing. :shifty:

Few hours to spare this morning to try the editor out, however it does not seem to have 1. Steam version here, cannot find any info about it either.

Black Ops claimed they might have mods tools also remember. <_<

Ok, seem to of found something. Apparently the editor may be released this Summer.

Playing the SP campain at present. See an enemy, go invisible, kill enemy. See an enemy, go invisible, kill enemy....... :hmm:

Played about an hour so far, and TBH, enough for me. Might as well play GR with all the console commands on.

~

the game is super n00b simple to play. See enemy, go invisible, kill enemy... Yawn!

Right, so you’re going to judge a 12-hour campaign on just the first hour ;)

Of course they are going to start out by going easy on the player just to give them a chance to get the hang of it first, otherwise a lot of players would just give up

Try playing it for a lot longer before you dismiss it or give up on it

…and once you really get to the full-on battles with the aliens, then tell me its too simple :lol:

and then go back and play it through again on the higher difficulty levels for a real challenge

(While searching for & gathering all of the collectibles in the side “Tourist” Treasure-Hunt too)

I've been tempted to empty my change jar and buy it, hard to imagine that CryTek would make a game too easy to play Tinker....hope you find it a better challenge as you progress...maybe the aliens will adapt to your ultracamo?? ...if not remember Clear Sky and Call of Pripyat ! I seem to remember you liked STALKER SoC...guaranteed challenges there...need to decide between Crysis 2 and F3AR here...I'm afraid that one will be a dissapointment though...

migph34r.gif

maybe the aliens will adapt to your ultracamo??

At a certain distance away the Aliens can detect you even when cloaked (further than when CELL troopers are standing right next to you).

So you need to have scoped out the area for the best routes and for any places you can catch your breath first , as it’s too late to start looking around once the action starts as you will be too busy fighting/surviving.

It’s a great looking game and I for one am having a blast so far and while not totally open world maps you normally have at least 3 routes can take across/through (even if you may not necessarily spot them all right away) depending how want to play.

you can use cloak/armour as much or as little as you want depending playing style and the cloak is balanced so it's not just an uber-weapon, You still have to plan and use tactics to get the best out of the game.

I think it's well worth the money for the experience.

It would of been great if EA gave Crytek more funds to have made the best possible Crysis 2 for the windows platform, at this stage i have to say i prefer the CryEngine 2 over 3. I played on veteran and post-human difficulty and you still had grenade red hexagon indications, i prefered Crysis A.I, there are glitches in Crysis 2 as with most games. I like some assets in Crysis 2, sound if half decent, music score is alright. Although for the most part the gameplay is quite linear, a sort of corridor shooter with slight open spaces, stealth ellements and slight tactics but quite repetative. I believe Crytek could have done much more for the PC version.

crysis22011033012394475.jpg

crysis22011033012582502.jpg

crysis22011033013035613.jpg

crysis22011033013042439.jpg

crysis22011033013125673.jpg

crysis22011033013392181.jpg

the gameplay is quite linear, a sort of corridor shooter with slight open spaces

Yeah, although Cevat Yerli and Crytek did say right from the start that the primary focus of the single-player campaigns in all of the Crysis series would be the story

and to not just tell a specific story but to show it to you (in a certain way)

It's an old Hollywood adage: show don't tell. Showing you something always has more impact than telling you something. Where traditionally games tells player the story, through radio messages and data recorders, Crysis shows it to you with dozens of beautifully choreographed actions sequences and ambience through an environment that is a character itself, it evolves and is alive – speaking in a metaphor.

so it does mean that they want you at a particular spot and looking in a particular direction to see certain things and for events to be triggered

and why there are so many cut-scenes where you have to sit back and just watch through rather than participate

otherwise for one example: I personally would have shot-on-sight Dominic Lockhart during that cut-scene before he gets on the chopper with Tara Strickland, but it would have derailed the story they were telling

in the Crysis series the SP campaigns are going to be more like a film than a traditional game where they just plonk you on the map, give you a couple of objective and leave you to it.

it's only really with the mods and user missions that you will normally see the non-story driven non-linear open gameplay

more like a film than a traditional game.

The traditional shooter elements are there in game, and i like the cinematic approach. I enjoy playing the game, i like a good sci-fi action game. Some have quoted the lighting in game gives off a distorted bloom effect but is this due to the nanosuit visor reflecting light in certain scenes in the game world?.

About 7 hours played so far. Not too bad overall.

Tinker--don't use cloak and see what happens

:rofl:

Probably played around 6 hours and 50 minutes cloaked so far!

Yeah but that`s not the point, I think if it switched off as soon as you switched to a weapon, it would be much better.

Tinker, with my old fart reflexes, I need all the help I can get. Even tho the Crysis series doesn't have sp game modes like recon/firefight, I still enjoy playing both(crysis and warhead), trying new approaches, even now. Even Crysis fan sites are a little up and down on the new one, the overall feel is most still enjoy it.

Z, I'm with you, money is very tight. Keep an eye on d2d download site-http://www.direct2drive.com/-they are having 30 days of sales. Yesterday I bought medal of honor for under $8-75% off(no way I was going to pay 59 or even 29 for 4-5 hrs of singleplay time). Today, battlefield 2 bad company is on sale at 50% off, worth keeping an eye on it. Also, Duke Nukem is out in June, I hope.

Edited by TRC

Battlefield 2 bad company is a far better gameplay experience. Highly looking forward to BF3 SP and Coop. I think this is really going to be a better game for the FPS people. The hackers / crackers and losers, will not prevent this title from being PC exclusive overall.

Anyhow, another hour pushed out here on Crysis2. Liking it more. Never played Crysis1 though.

Lot of banter on the net about this game being consolized, textures being down sampled, etc... Not really interested, is all good for me.

I have seen a post about a classic mode in this game, that removes all nanoo suit stuff?? See nothing in the options. Basically playing without any suit abilities.

The nanoo juice or dust that you collect, at about the 5 hour point I hit the H key and selected some goodies. Since then, every time I had a message on screen that I collected 100 or 500 of this, I checked using the H key, and it was at 0. This went on for the last 2 days. Just tonight it started working again. Hit a bunch of aliens, collected stuff, registering around 2000 now. Strange. Maybe lost over 5000 of that stuff.

Crysis environment + BF Destruction + Original GR gameplay = Wet dream.

Never played Crysis1 though. Lot of banter on the net about this game being consolized, textures being down sampled, etc... Not really interested, is all good for me.

CryEngine 2 was developed with PC in mind, higher texture resolution, more graphical settings etc. Crysis 2 is a cool sci-fi game. CryEngine 3 was developed with consoles in mind i think, there are youtube videos showing "Live Create" feature in CryEngine3 which was designed for seamless transitional game developing on all 3 major gaming platforms instantaneously, so you can't have higher texture resolutions because the console won't handle it. Crysis 2 looks much better in 3D imho, even with anaglyph glasses, haha!. I played and completed the sp campaign on post-human warrior using the XBOX 360 controller on a PC, i struggled to line up and fire off a shot with a 360 gamepad in Crysis. The screenshots i posted previously show keyboard prompts but as soon as you touch a key onyour keyboard it switches instantly between M/KB or gamepad, similar to Resident Evil 5 PC, which i thought was a nice touch by Crytek.

Z, I'm with you, money is very tight. Keep an eye on d2d download site-http://www.direct2drive.com/-they are having 30 days of sales. Yesterday I bought medal of honor for under $8-75% off(no way I was going to pay 59 or even 29 for 4-5 hrs of singleplay time). Today, battlefield 2 bad company is on sale at 50% off, worth keeping an eye on it. Also, Duke Nukem is out in June, I hope.

thanks for the heads up, i'll keep an eye on it.

I only played the SP demo of Crysis 1. Remember cruising around the ocean in a boat, travelling across the country in vehicles. Approaching enemy positions, and being able to take any route around to assault it. Not sure if that was how the rest of the game was?

Crysis 2 I just finished. TBH 13 hours of SP game. For me anyhow, and I did not hang around. TBH, so many times i thought that this must be the last level, then it loaded a new level!

Fair play, no issues with paying for that at all. But it was like a large AW game. Fantastic looking game, but funelled down the streets from A to B, few open areas to browse around. Basic firefight as you go. Nothing really that will give me an urge to play it again now.

I would give it a positive 9/10 for the SP, if you like picking up games just for fun. If you want replayability, or you live in the must be real or not buying zone, grab it when the price drops.

Few textures like fire escape doors flipped

Found several AI walking 30ft in the air

Many AI throughout getting hungup on objects

Decals floating a ft off the ground

Massive game though, hard to imagine getting something like this perfect.

There is a level early on, crossing a dock area. That was amazing. Just looking around was simply as close to how it really is.

I love the game so far. I beat it twice normally playing now and am playing through on the hardest setting with just a pistol and no cloak or armor mode. Im on level 3 so far. It really changes how you play. A LOT more hit and run tactics. o.O The later levels will be very interesting doing it this way. I might have to use some C4 on the guys but that would be ok in my book.

Ducky

Crysis 2 is awesome. It looks awesome, it plays awesome. It is a GREAT game. Stunning would be my word. game play is awesome. Adding new features to a genre that is worn out 100x over. unless something else comes along better GOTY in my opinion. In this day and age of ultra short SP campaigns this one is great. Yeah I like it. I love the idea of using only a pistol as well. THAT definitely changes the ROE and how you attack each level!! Great Idea!

Edited by twcrash

Appreciate the feedback folks. 13hrs of sp play--now thats worth a look.

Tinker, I still play Crysis as there are hundreds of mod levels that have been created. It's an open environment with a few tight routes sprinkled in. AI problem sounds the same as both previous titles--don't have smarts to walk around objects.

• 4 weeks later...

Picked up game for 49/00 plus tax at local store sale. Am most of the way through and I'm at 14hrs of play thus far. Like the game thus far, but wish they had set up tutorial part outside of the game and the hold r and look got old real quick. The shift and crawl bit--MW2--and the stand and cant shoot parts--MOH I could do without. I think replay will be good--while more funneled than original there are still different tactics that could be used on each level. Just a pistol Evilducky? Will uninstall when through and go back to v1.1 so I can mod weapons and get rid of that dumb sway--they must not have any strength in their forearms or know how to tuck weapon into shoulder. Also can add a weapon slot and use infiniteammo(only 5 mags with scar). Nephew said infinite ammo better done this time--still have reload feature-no unlimite clip(I detest running back to ammo boxes). Playing game on hard level. Already campaign is 3x the length of MOH. When sdk comes out in August or whenever mods will be fun to play. Actually worth the money in my mind.