[How do I get my partner to connect to my multiplayer game?]

This is a really dumb question, but it's been forever since I've actually played [GR] How do I get my partner to connect to my multiplayer game?

I clicked Multiplayer-

I created a server

I set it all up so we can play the map on mission

I gave him my IP

He types it in but he cannot join. It says 'Connection cannot be found.'

Are we missing something?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dark.

Edited by Pave Low
Posts moved to it's own thread in the the Tech Support forum (where there are a number of other threads about this, including a pinned FAQ)

I'm glad you asked thus because there will be others probably having the same issue especially if you've just reinstalled GR for this tournament.

Most of the time this issue happens if you are playing behind a router because your internal and external IP will be different and also you need to open up the ports. I'm sure we have a FAQ entry on how to do that. I'll post it up later.

Make sure port 2346 is open. My connection is DSL, I had to open the DMZ on my DSL modem to get it to work. Those with routers may be able to enter the setup and assign ports. Most routers use 192.168.1.1 as their setup address.

Edited by MeanOldMan

Most of the time this issue happens if you are playing behind a router because your internal and external IP will be different and also you need to open up the ports.

You're right, I am using a router and the IP coming up in game is for the router. I also checked in my system with 'ipconfig' command and it's telling me the same ip. My buddy was getting the same thing, only his IP addy was only one digit off of mine. I've been searching for a solution. If I find something before Rocky does, I'll be sure to post it.

Thanks for the help!

Dark

EDIT: Okay that was quick. :D I found this topic on the forums --> Multiplayer Solution <-- and it seems to tell me what I need. I changed my router settings according to this post so I'm hoping it will work. As soon as Sinster and I get a chance to play, I'll let you know if it worked or not.

Thanks!

If it is a problem still download Hamachi 1.0.1.5 (filehippo has it ) and use that. Do NOT upgrade it . The upgrade sucks and doesn't work for half the people I know. But this is a great way to fix it. Also Gameranger (http://www.gameranger.com/) will work great as well. Either way if you need help drop me a line or head into my teamspeak ill be glad to help ya.

m3rx.info for the TS info

Thanks for the tips everyone. I finally figured it out. I used an online site that showed me my actual IP and I used that instead of the one that GR was showing me in the multiplayer section. It was reading the router's IP.

We were able to link up and run through the first map a few time.

Thanks again!

Dark