Fierce Resistance

Threats: This is a rather challenging mission, so for the most of the time you will have to be very

careful. The first part of the mission will require you to deal with a lot of enemy soldiers. They will

be heavily armed, so you can’t make any major mistakes. You will also have to avoid a few tanks. Next,

you will take part in a fight with an enemy gunship. You could use the ZEUS-MPAR rocket launcher

Threats: This is a rather challenging mission, so for the most of the time you will have to be very

careful. The first part of the mission will require you to deal with a lot of enemy soldiers. They will

be heavily armed, so you can’t make any major mistakes. You will also have to avoid a few tanks. Next,

you will take part in a fight with an enemy gunship. You could use the ZEUS-MPAR rocket launcher

against it, although this won’t be necessary. There are also a lot of snipers in different areas of

this sector. Some of them may be hard to find, there is a resupply mule located between Adat4 and Adat3

with 2 ZEUS-MPAR located at the resupply mule and 1 located at the military tent by Adat3.

Main objective: During the course of this mission you will neutralize the Air Defense systems. There are four places for you to visit. You will have to neutralize each of the Adats. Next, you’ll proceed

to the main palace area. You will have to find the terrorist leader. He is currently hiding inside the

palace. You will also have to retrieve the football that’s probably in his possession. You start off

with a day mission but using the night switch on the wall you can change to the original night mission (use this switch within 60 seconds).

Thanks to JohnTC02 for help on this mission and generating the lightmaps.

coop_mexbob_fierce_resistance_v1_4

Edited by mexicobob

bob,

We loved the look of this map, great alleyways, buildings and streets. Everyone agreed that it needed more

enemy to be added. Also, more snipers or gunners on the balconies and rooftops.The helicopters were very tough

to take out because of the buildings, but we enjoyed the challenge. Very small window of opportunity before he sank behind

another rooftop. Only technical problem noted was that the game crashed at the same point both times we played it.

We had just entered the Palace and just after the helicopters passed overhead the game would crash with the below

error. Not sure how much of the map was left beyond this point, hopefully more objectives? We will try it again tonight to

see if the crash happens again, if so we will await the next release and test it again. Thanks for your work, good map!

Puck

Crash in application version: 30899.3048

data\lib\units\types\vehicles\blackhawk.dsf(-1): cant find member: _unit in type <void>

SCRIPT STACK:

data\lib\units\types\vehicles\helicopter.dsf(0)

data\lib\units\types\vehicles\helicopter.dsf(0)

Renderer: normal

Physics : normal

Edited by Puck

I haven't played the map but from the crash log it seems like you are trying to land the blackhawk or you are making it hover to close to the ground.

There is a know bug with this vehicle, for some reason it will work on some maps but not on others, I have used it before with some success but it can cause problems especially on dedicated servers.

Hi Bob,

I was able to complete the mission without any crashes or problems. I noticed that you placed a few more AI in the mission. I counted 75 kills by the end. In my opinion you probably need to double that amount to make this a mission that a squad could play. I think that an excellent place to put more AI would be at the end after you have completed the Ontivaros objective and are trying to leave his palace. By that time he has called in reinforcements and they are converging on his palace ........ and so on. You could also have some more random patrols in the streets and make the objectives a little more difficult by placing more patrols farther away from the actual objective. I like your choice of sniper spots. I got hit by them quite a few times.

There was one sniper that I couldn't hit though. He was at ADAT C on a balcony of the building to the East and shooting from behind a railing. I was not able to shoot him through the railing but he was able to get me (now that's not very fair). Another thing I noticed was that at the Ontiveras objective the patrols just sat there. I think they need to move away from their spawn location and actually try to engage the Ghosts in an attempt the buy Ontiveras more time to escape. I also think that the extraction message needs to be changed to something other than "Game Over" such as "This ain't over yet Ontiveras" or some such thing.

Overall, nicely done! With a few more additions this should be ready to go!

Cheers,

Rahn

Actually Rahn, there are a little over 100 AI in this mission, but I will add more.

As far as the sniper at Adat C, I also noticed I could not kill him, frustrating :wall: , I will move him. :whistle:

I have tried to get the patrols at the end inside the palace to move, they just will not comply, still working on them.

I used game over instead of "Good Job You Won" since Ontiveros got away. I will think about some other ending.

Thanks for your comments.

Bob

Hi Bob,

You may have changed it since I last saw the map but take a look at the AI Graph leading into the palace, when I checked it there was a break where the door is.

What you need to do is raise the door up so the bottom of the door is at the top of the doorway then make sure there is a connection for the AI Graph through the door, once that is done re-generate the AI Graph and lower the door back into place, this will insure the AI Graph in the palace is linked to the main one.

When placing the AI Graph there must be no breaks so make sure it is one continuous graph over the entire map, this is how I do mine when there are doors/fences that will break the link in the AI Graph, simply raise then up the generate the graph, once done just lower them all back into place.

If there are isolated parts to the graph then the AI will not react as they should, this may be the cause of your problem.

Hope that helps, :thumbsup:

John

Hi Bob,

Just had a run through your mission v1.2, I must say it played very well I had no lag all the way through, very impressive.

But there were a few problems, when the map first loaded I could tell the lightmaps were not working as the light level was the same all over the map, there were no shadows or dark areas in the doorways.

You need to change the code below.

In your lightmaps folder open the tdb_atlas_set.xml which is in the atlas0 folder.

The first line in your file is:

<atlas_set name="lightmaps/mission11/atlas0" category="lightmaps" allow_autoload="false">

Change it to:

<atlas_set name="custom_levels/m11/lightmaps/mission11/atlas0" category="lightmaps" allow_autoload="false">

Do the same with the tdb_atlas_set.xml in the atlas1 folder.

The first line in your file is:

<atlas_set name="lightmaps_m11/mission11/atlas1" category="lightmaps" allow_autoload="false">

Change it to:

<atlas_set name="custom_levels/m11/lightmaps/mission11/atlas1" category="lightmaps" allow_autoload="false">

Once that is done the map should look completely different, having said that there are some buildings around the map that still have some missing lightmaps, when I did them for you I sent you a modified world.xml with all the props removed that doesn't require lightmaps, back up your world file and replace it with my modified one and see if you have any luck rendering the lightmaps, once they are done just replace the world file with the one you backed up..

If you need any help converting them with the atlasgen tool then let me know.

Some other things I noticed.

One of the tanks at the palace got itself stuck against a wall.

After completing all the Adat's and the palace objective started I had to run 400m to the palace each time I was killed, it might be better if you have a respawn point closer to the palace after you destroy the door.

This is a very difficult map to script a mission onto, making them myself I know the problems you must have had getting it to flow smoothly, I think you did a great job there.

Some might say there isn't enough AI in the mission but my personal opinion is that if you add to many more you will run into lag problems, better to have less AI that are more active than twice the amount that are totally dim.

Playing all the way through I had 105 kills and 10 deaths, frame rate was around 140 - 180 for a map of this size that's damn good going. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

John

Thanks John,

In version 1_3, I have already changed the respawn point back to ADAT C so It would be closer to the palace. :thumbsup: I have added more AI at the end wave before extraction. :whistle: I will redo the lightmaps as you said, but I may need help doing the Atlas gen as I have not understood the directions that are provided with it. :wacko:

Bob

I was just wondering if we could get the original lightmaps (from GR:AW) to work, I don't know what system they used on that version to render the lightmaps but it might be better.

The only problem is that if you have added any props that require lightmaps then they might look a bit odd but that might be better than having complete buildings without them as it is now.

Just a thought if you can't get them sorted. :unsure:

John,

The original lightmaps is what we started out with that did not work! The only things I have added were the ADATS and 1 havoc and 1 littlebird.

Bob

PS: I am regening the lightmaps now, it may take awhile :wall:

Edited by mexicobob

Hey Bob,

If it's any use to you I have the original lightmaps working. :rocky:

There are still a couple of buildings that have them missing but it's the best we have so far, the multi story car park has no lightmaps for the ground but the walls are ok plus there is one more building that has them missing.

Not sure why this is as they are the original ones from GR:AW. :unsure:

Let me know if you need them.

John

John,

I got your updated lightmaps, I will compare them to the first ones you did that work now and see which ones I like best and will include the best ones in the next release. I finally canceled the lightmap rendering on my computer after it ran for another 2 hours with no progress, so it was 26 hours wasted time. :wall:

Bob

Hi Bob,

Pleased you got it sorted in the end. :thumbsup:

I've never had that problem with lightmaps before, when I did them on your map it took around 6 hours and completed ok, I can only assume that the editor crashed for some reason and just stopped responding.

I think the original lightmaps are your best bet even though there are a couple missing, the ones I did had a few more that were not displaying correctly.

The problem here is that the map is so big it's difficult to render the lightmaps successfully on one PC, when Grin did them they set up a rendering farm using multiple PC's and running them for countless hours. :blink:

Unfortunately we don't have that luxury so we can only do our best with what we have.

John

Hi Bob,

My name is Wacko & my dad is JohnTC02,

I hope you don't mind, I have tested your Fierce Resistance mission my dad gave me your password, again i hope you don't mind.

In my opinion I think you have made a really good mission, personally I think it would be better with a few more AI in the mission.

I had 108 Kills & 33 Deaths, the only reason I had so many Deaths was because one of the Tanks was upside down, so that meant the gun was poking through the map & could see me everywhere, & the other Tank was stuck.

I have taken a screenshot of the Tank that was upside down, the two Tanks where near the Palace.

pic11.jpg

pic13.jpg

I really did enjoy playing your Fierce Resistance mission. :thumbsup:

Thanks,

Wacko

Thanks for playing,

As far as the tanks go, they have a mind of their own. Sometimes they behave like they are supposed to other times they go crazy and do stupid things. There are just too many obstructions in their paths to keep them straight all the time.

Bob

Edited by mexicobob

Hi Bob, we did it as well and need to say that you have made an fantastic job. There are less AIs than on other maps with this size but you was able to place and use them very smart. Erika and I agreed that this map has a great atmosphere. Also the 2 Tanks which covered each other was hard to destroy.

The Helis and Tanks killed me 31 times on this map which is a lot :blink:

Yes, it's not easy to shoot an Heli in a city. It's difficult but possible.

Some times the respawn points are too far away from the current target because if you have to run kilometers to get there then you run and run ....you get unfocused.and may you see a single AI or sniper but can't stop early enough which means the run starts again.

Also there was 1 or 2 AIs inside the palace which I never found.....but they found me :wacko:

Extraction: surprise......first we had less AIs and from one second to the other we was almost overrun.

Great change of the atmosphere!

Just the area of the extraction point itself was a little bit to wide because we had 14 meters left but reached it already.

Oh...by the way, we reached the palace but the objective took very very long to complete because we tried to get the option to put C4 on the door (before we had the order to do that). This took minutes!

What is interesting as well, our both clients on our dedicated LAN server have the same software status but Erika had no graphic problems and I have seen black walls very often!?

But anything else was great, not lags or other disharmonies.

You did a great job :thumbsup:

Dedicated LAN-only server: 1.6Ghz Centrino M

Client Erika: E6750@2800+HD4870/512+4GB - 22" 1400x1050

Client Klaus: E4400@2400+HD3780/512+4GB - 20" 1280x800

Hi Bob,

I tested your map with one of my friends and together we came up to 139 AI. Personally I would prefer more AI because we really had to look for enemies. The snipers are well hidden and we are curious if we did find all of them. I had to get used to the colours in the map; different from what I've seen before.

The game went smooth and we even used the Rahnman Mod. Using this mod made it a bit easier to get rid of the tanks, using a zeus.

Taking down the choppers is a bit difficult with all the buildings, but using an M99 as always will do the trick.

The respawns in front of the palace were very tricky. I didn't know what happened the first time with all those AI shooting at me and the immortality time was just enough to run into the palace and take cover.

And what Kaapo said is something we also noticed. I had to wait quite a long time in front of the palace before it triggered the possibility to plant the C4.

We only didn't test the night version yet, but we're gonna do that too, with and without the Rahnman Mod.

Anyway Bob, good job.... but please more AI :o=

C U, Rico

You have to approch the palace door form the plaza instead of along the side of the building in order to trigger the message to plant C4.

As far as the color goes these are the colors from the GR:AW 1 game, you will notice this even more when you play the night mission. All the GR:AW 1 maps were some sort of a shade of brown and I never really liked that, it did not seem realistic enough as it is in GR:AW 2.

I will see about changeing some of the respawn points and look at the Palace Door trigger. There were only 29 AI in the original GR:AW mission and now If you play as a lone wolf it took me over 1 1/2 hours to play this even knowing where all the AI were. I still died 25 times with only 110 kills myself. :o=

Edited by Pave Low
Unnecessary large quote removed (If you are replying to the latest post you don't need to quote the whole thing all again - Please use the "Add Reply" button instead of "Reply" in such cases)

I have relocated the spawn area and fixed the trigger for the palace door. I think this mission ready for release at this time.

Thanks to all the alpha and beta testers and most of all JohnTC02 for his help with the light maps.

MexicoBob