PC gaming is growing everywhere

It's time to stop trying to bury PC gaming: it's not dead and it keeps outgrowing its coffin.

The PC Gaming Alliance, which cares about these things, highlighted growth not just in the booming Chinese economy, but also in long-established territories like the UK, the US, Germany, Japan and Korea. Together, we're told, they grew 19 per cent.

In fact, not one of the regions tracked by research company DFC showed any sort of PC decline last year.

"The spotlight has definitely shifted back to the PC game market," declared PC Alliance president Matt Ployhar, citing contributing factors as digital distribution, free-to-play business models and online games.

"Large game publishers are looking at digital revenue on the PC game platform as one of their key areas of growth," he added, "and it is clear that the performance of the PC game market in 2010 is resulting in substantial investment money flowing into the PC game business."

King of PC digital distribution is Valve, whose Steam platform near-monopolises trade with 30 million customers. But DFC analyst David Cole said "this is likely to change as other premium players enter the market for digital distribution".

Article @ Eurogamer

• 1 month later...

But didn't they say that gaming on a PC was decling heavily at around the time that the Xbox 360 was released? If it wasn't then it sure wasn't too far away from it.

Either way, wait until XBOX 360 becomes the XBOX 720 or whatever it will be called, and yet again PC sales will show a decline and there will stem yet another death to PC gaming debate.

Like everything it's all about cycles.

PC gaming is far from declining. Actually PC gamers are incresing all the time. That is a fact for any unfortunate disbeliever.

Take Steam for 1 instance. As a regular user, it has grown over the last year, from averaging 2 million users per day, to over 3 million.

A few things seem to convince otherwise.

1: Many games now are ports to the PC platform. - Why not? Seems more sense to make a game available to all platforms at a moderate standard. - Yes we would all like the PC port to be a bit more PC friendly, but it will come.

2: Very few PC exclusive titles anymore. See point #1.

3: Hackers and crackers being reported daily on any and all forums.

The future is using a computer and being hooked up to the internet. Fact. People will obviously use that computer to play games at some point. To even suggest that PC gaming is ending is ridiculous.

The future of a console? Well I am sure at some point in the future, it will have to be classed as a computer.

Is it about pricing?

The last 18 months new games have been reasonably priced for PC, shift 2 £25 pre release etc etc (ok MP is broke but thats a different issue). Console gamers have crap tech and are being ripped off on prices of new games. PPL have said time and time again if the pricing is fair for music, films and games less ppl will be bothered downloading dodgy copies.

a majority of the time yes, plus in my opinion games look nicer on the PC simply because it is a little "smarter" than Xboxes and PS3s, knowing what to render and what not to render. while PCs are getting more money on them because of game pricing, some of it is the fact of backward compatibility and you can just go on the Internet straight after.

and not be limited to where you can go.

but the biggest downfall is DRM systems. i still don't understand them, it sounds rather naughty but my perfect DRM would be a virus based in the CD that remains undetectable to the system and as soon as a user selects what is on the CD and adds it to the clipboard, the computer will crash. the files can only be copied by the registered executable in which the game is installed that way you are helping to stop pirating without punishing a customer who paid good money for the game and just wants to play it.

but hey, thats my idea, and that is probably heavily flawed

oh I would say its declining in AA titles. Not if you are including subpar titles like Combat Arms,AVA.Blackshot ect. I mean even if you take MW2 for example on a good day you get 9000+ players online. Just on the PS3 on a good day? 25000+ I don't own a Xbox so I cant give you those numbers.

Plus the consoles look every bit as good as the PC versions. Plus for 299.99 you can play any game released on consoles for the next 3 or more years and on a 299.99 PC you can play any game that is 8 years or older lol. I for one am in the budget boat when it comes to PC's Even if I spent 1000+ dollars this year on a PC upgrade I would still be behind the 8 ball in the fact I wouldn't be buying the best hardware available. In a console I am doing just that. I get the best hardware and the games will play as soon as I put it in the slot. Not requirements needed to play a console title.

I wish it wasn't so but even I a die hard PC gamer knows the truth lol.

As a world wide fact would say: We intend to have everyone hooked up to the internet...

Connections are getting to places that never had them before, faster speeds are arriving all the time to all.

PC IS STRONG: PC Games Revenue Up 19%

Hi-tech toddlers increase computer games sales

Yes the consoles crowds are getting larger and larger, but that is simply because more and more are getting hooked up every day, every week. The console crowd being larger than the PC crowd is no surprise, but that does not mean that the PC crowd is getting smaller. Just not increasing as well as the console. However it is increasing, all the time.

There is a plan to have a PC in every home at some point? Not sure I read about a console sitting next to it.

Knowing that your buddies now use a console is not much of an argument for saying PC gaming is declining, when it is far from it.

There is a plan to have a PC in every home at some point? Not sure I read about a console sitting next to it.

Knowing that your buddies now use a console is not much of an argument for saying PC gaming is declining, when it is far from it.

True but it is a sign of the times when ALL of my friends own consoles but not all of them own PC's. All of them own Smart phones and a few have tablets,Netbooks Ipads and the like.

Also PC game requirements are insanely all over the place. Most desktop box purchasers don't buy gaming rigs.Which means they play what their machines can handle IE Farmvile vs Crysis 2.

But it is probably things like facebook games,WOW and the likes not PC shooters I would bet. See that number doesnt tell you much. I am sure more PCs are sold every year but how many of those gamers are playing "solitaire" online or Farmville? As for the PC in every house I think Tablets and smart phones are killing that idea as well. I see more streaming being used and games by companies like Gameloft being the future.

I've played PC's and Consoles over the years, yet I find myself coming back to the PC once again. Why? I think it is partly down the flexibility that PC can give you over a console.

Sometimes I want to surf, play games, MSN, chat on Vent/TS to friends either all at the same time or just one. With a console I don't get those choices to do that quite as easily... and this is without explaining to the wife why I'm about to take over the best TV in the house either. :whistle:

I find consoles a much lonelier place these days, where as it seems much easier to keep in contact with people, or to know what is going on with them, when I'm at my PC.

This is without getting into the whole what is better for playing games on etc....

I have seen what Consoles do now and they are not far off from doing what PC's do now. I mean make one good app like a ven or TS or write mumble to play on PSN and you have comms now (you already have comms in Bluetooth) you already have friends lists. you can add people you played with, you can even make clans. So I am not sure what else I would need.

yeah apart from the fact you arent constantly having server downtime like on the PS3 as well. reliable online is always needed.

PSn was hacked. I have seen a TON of great websites and services go down. People seem to forget the 13 days XBL was down. PC gamers arent immune either. I have seen Novalogic servers go offline for weeks at a time and even my gametracker servers go down. So you can't use PSN as a scape goat to try and make a point. They were hacked, happens to the best of em. Some of the most reliable hosters have had failures that downed them for a week or so.