Map called Westerheide

San

Hmm...I must say I'm wondering why Dee doesn't have his own section on this forum where he can give us these tutorials?? Atleast they should be pinned on the top or pasted into a own tread I think. (maybe toghter with other great tutorials) It's so great to have it so we can easy access it and for new map makers it's a dream. Anyone agree with me on that one?

OK now I understand more about detail texture.

Good tip on the sun and skybox too. Makes it real. It looks strange when the shadows are pointing towards the sun !

Another part of Deleyt tutorial ! I've saved it !

Guest SI-Prozac

looks great to me.... looked like operation flash point to me at first......

dont take that the wrong way i love the levels on OFP

giant fields of bushes and shrubs

• 2 weeks later...

Detailed texture applied :

screenshot10_small.jpg

screenshot11_small.jpg

screenshot13_small.jpg

Looks just like m01_caves map !

Now I'm trying to make my own basetexture :

screenshot23_small.jpg

screenshot24_small.jpg

screenshot27_small.jpg

screenshot30_small.jpg

Purple = heath (we call it heide). It's a plant with a purple colour.

Gonna make a model for it too.

Green = grass, but needs more shades of green

White = sand, gonna try to use a different detail-texture for it.

The black lines are from the detail-texture, maybe use something else (seen one that is used on alot of RSE maps).

Also gonna make roads (sandpaths) this way (with colors on basetexture). Then apply a different detail-texture on it, and surface properties...

Will dynamic grass grow on the roads too ? I hope not !

• 2 months later...

Any work done on Westerheide San?

Just saw your screenshots at your site and they date back pretty far..soooo... ;)

BTW: I think you're using the detailtexture to fill the entire map (not sure, but looks like it)

So you probably want to increase the amount of tiles. The detailtexture should basically be covering approx. 2x2 mtrs or something before it repeats again.

:yawn::o

Yes, no progress on the Westerheide-map, because I'm working on another map ! Thanks for the interest btw !

I needed some practise so I started another map with hills and a village with a road. I even made a chapel (little church) :) .

chapel.jpg

chapel_02.jpg

chapel_03.jpg

I merged the castle-houses and gave em a paint-job. Because this is my first map (and probably last, hehe j/k), I use many things from RSE (houses/trees/rocks/textures). But I'm learning alot this way, and soon I'll be able to make a 100% self-created map.

dorp_roads_small.jpg

dorp_render02_small.jpg

screenshot10_small.jpg

About detail-texture, yes it's spread all over the entire map, because I used it with the basetexture (they blend together in game) in composite material. But it's tiled (only basetexture can't be tiled).

It's probaly not what you had in mind for it Dee, :lol:

Anyway, the Westerheide-map will still be finished (although the map-idea isn't that great : it has no things to go to (only trees)). I'm thinking of placing a little tent-camp somewhere, in fact, there's a military-training-camp at the edge of the map (IRL) Kazerne Crailoo ? (not sure about the name). When I went to work I could hear gunshots (they were practising) or see them marching. Maybe I'll put that in the map.

I got some more ideas for maps : one big mountain, amazon-rivers (swamp-style), cities. Too bad I only have one life !

I'll keep you people informed once there's new progress (and there already is while I'm typing !!!), only need to make screenshots...