Windows OS prices

Tinker

Looking into upgrading my laptop to see if there is a performance boost. Factory states it takes 1GB of ram (2x512) but Amilo forums state it will take 2GB (2x1gb) if you alter the bios. Apparently many have done so, and the machine can handle it.

I was after a new copy of WXP 32 Pro for my laptop. Main reason is, MS have suggested that SP3 is probably not recommended for a laptop on XP. (many complaints about slow down) Problem I have is, I installed XP pro recently, which included SP3.

Ever since I reformatted with this disc, my laptop has gone to a complete crawl in any and all tasks. It used to be lot`s faster than this. Main reason I was to buy a new.

Bigger problem is, if you install windows with SP3 already included on the disc, you cannot remove it. Again straight from MS website. Does not appear in add/remove programs, cannot get rid. So I need a new disc.

Back to topic.

Now I just bought W7 Pro for around £110.

Googling an old OS, WXP pro with SP2, I seem to be looking at over £200. :blink:

Why would an older OS cost so much? Maybe just to prevent you from buying it, forcing you onto the new system?

Mine desktop PC is XP Pro, with Service Pack 3 (although it came with Starter Edition, a piece of junk that you shall not know). I really don't know if all that managing tools included in the Pro edition are worth it (well, the Home edition does include them, only disabled). If you feel that Pro is not worth the price, go with Home.

Tink, I have loads of legit, original copies of XP Pro laying around here, PM me your address and I'll send you one. :thumbsup:

Sounds like a workplace clearout :zorro:

I'm always looking at old PC cases at the tip incase they have a XP licence code sticker on the side lol.