Online Problems with GR on steam

JasonFMX

Well...we just simply can not get online. We can play single player just fine, but we can't seem to connect to any online server, even if we use hamachi. We can't see eachothers game.

I'm sorry I'm not more specific, I'm just so ignorant on this becuase its been many years since I've done this. Anything specific, just ask and I'll go in my game and look and report back.

I have no idea how to do that. I never touch my router, it works so I leave it be. I've been in the admin panel a few times to open stuff up for COD. I read how to do it on a forum then put it back to normal because it never made much of a difference. I don't even remember what I did, I just did a factory reset. So...that is the extent of my networking abilities. I just really have no clue how to do the online with [GR] anymore. Is there a lobby, or is there some sort of second party software to upload?

I'm sorry for the dumb questons, but its been so long I'm like a newb again. This is going to sound bad, but could someone give me a quick rundown how to play online, starting after clicking the multiplayer tab in the menu? Because something is telling me this isnt like other games, I have to have something else opened up or something.

Thanks guys.

Yeh it is a bit of a culture shock going back to MP GR style, basically because we are all used to auto matching or game lobbys now.

In Ghost Recon you go to the multiplayer tab, then you have to manually ADD the IP of the server you want to join, in the bottom box, then it should appear in the top box as one of the servers in your list. That's the start....

ok sorry for not noticing that. I guess I need a bit more spoon feeding than your average person.

OK, where exactly do you get the IP from? Like, say my friend is hosting, I would get HIS IP, correct? If so, now that I think about it, I think we did that already. We must have messed around for an hour trying to get to see eachothers games. We even tried hamachi. I'm not saying we did everything right, but we did try just the same.

Ill try to give it another wurl tonight, thanks guys.

Only the person who is hosting needs to have his system set up. Then all will be able to join. The hoster must have an exception in his firewall for the game, plus his ports open on his router for this to be successful.

Portforward is a great place, you can select your router, plus the game, and find the needed info.

For this PC I have windows firewall, plus BT home hub.

My firewall exception is THIS

My hub ports are like THIS

OK, where exactly do you get the IP from?

That's covered in the 5th post in the FAQ

Like, say my friend is hosting, I would get HIS IP, correct?

Yes, exactly as it says in the 2nd post in the FAQ

He is the Host, you are the Client (usually the person with better PC and internet connection hosts the game)

I think we did that already. We must have messed around for an hour trying to get to see each others games. We even tried hamachi. I'm not saying we did everything right, but we did try just the same.

Is the host behind a router ?

if so as Tinker said they need to add the game ports in the router to forward the connection to the Internal IP of the PC hosting the game (covered in post #3 in the FAQ)

Note: if the Host is somewhere like at a university then it is very probable that the organisation will be blocking most Internet ports used by games before it even gets to the hosts room and they will usually be unwilling to make any exceptions and I understand there are even some ISP's that bock certain port for home customers so might be worth checking with his ISP to see if they do that if you still cant get it to work.

If you still have problems then please post full details of his and your PC & Network setups.

It would also be worth trying to join some of the Dedicated Game server IP's that are posted in various GR forums and clan sites (or use Xfire) just to confirm you can actually join a game OK.