A Modder's Wishlist

Ruin

I figured that we have to get something out fo this too. :)

Here are a few things I'd like to see:

[*]A Map editing program, like UnrealEd

[*]An easier way to import custom made models.

[*]Better way of equiping soldiers (get rid of the kits!)

Anyone else?

I would have to agree, they need to provide us with a map editor. Just think how many free mods we can all make for them then. ;):lol: I think they made some really needed improvements in IGOR, between the first one and the current version. However, I would definately like to see more revisions of that, easier interaction with the player controlled platoon, etc. I know this is controversial but, I would like the AI to be able to actually operate the vehicles. I know that this would lead to driving and stuff, but I think it would be more interesting if they could move more freely. JMO There's other stuff too but I can't think of it now. :lol: X

Vehicles would be a nice little addition. As far as back up. Many willa rgue though that it takes away from the spec ops feel of GR.

Also, another thing to add... maybe implement some sort of character attachments like RVS has done with guns.

how about a WYSIWYG mission editor so you don't have to learn IGOR?

:lol: IGOR is so easy. Anyway, IGOR is kinda WYSIWYG, the script is the only thing that doesn't "show". But, IGOR is simple if, then, and all you have to learn are the triggers and responces. Just give me more triggers and responces. :lol:

@Ruin, I know that the driving thing would be exploited, I would just like for other actors, other than the player.

Edited by X69RZX

I'd like the making of extra custom characters easier. I wanted to make my own skin and stuff but found it far to complex to work out (adding the head ect). Editing the files wasn't a problem, it was working out what was going on.

• Better way of equiping soldiers (get rid of the kits!)

I don't think we'll see the end of the kits system any time soon, to be honest. Although I think the current system of manually scrolling through each one should be changed. How about a drop-down menu for kit selection? That might work quite well, depending on what kind of GUI layout they've got planned.

Good stuff so far. :)

I wanna be able to mod the AI. Like in Raven Shield I'll be able to check out the AI and see what they've done and then make improvements or whatnot. They provide the tools, we provide the mods. I like the GR, file system though, very easy to understand. :)

Personally, I'd like to see an additional two team members with the team allocation something like 4-4, 3-3-2, 4-2-2, 4-3-1 for more options in fireteam allocation. The extra slots could allow for the inclusion of another class of soldier, like a spotter to aid the snipers, or a radio/laser marker member with missions requiring the stealthy location and marking of a target too large for team weapons (House, Camp area, etc).

I also agree that the inclusion of a GUI that allows for "pull-down" menus for kit selection would help, especially for those great multi-weapon mods.

It might also be nice to be able to carry a third item that could not be a primary weapon, but useful (trackers, smoke grenades, stun grenades for hostage rescues, C4 for door obliteration :P ).

Too bad GR.net members won't be on the primary design team. You'd make it right the first time.

I would like to be able to order my AI team mates to throw nades through windows or doors, fire their rockets at tanks etc. instead of having to do it all myself. The stupidness of the AI makes you :wall: sometimes.

Okay not to dis any of the guys that have posted......and not to take control (I cant do that) but..... This is a thread for modding things like Missions Weapons Maps Skins Characters and Kits not a "What do you wanna see in GR2" there are alot of them in the forum

sorry had to get that off my chest

What about an all in one skin editor thats combined with the combat model, so you can open any chr skin by the actor name eg. buzz gordan. Than you can change his cammo and the armour level in one go. Also an assortment of different packs, vests, holsters etc. that you could simply paste in.

The Ghosts driving vehicles? Why not make a race track map?....

I know that the driving thing would be exploited, I would just like for other actors, other than the player.

@Nightmare, as you see, I was rather specific in saying "not the ghosts" who I would like to see driving the vehicles, as well, I will ad that I wouldn't mind if controlling the vehicles was impossible for the player, as I don't think it would add to the "Player's" gameplay. However, from a scripter's point of view, it would allow for more dynamic replayable missions. Thanks for the unneeded sarcasm though. <_<

Okay not to dis any of the guys that have posted......and not to take control (I cant do that) but..... This is a thread for modding things like Missions Weapons Maps Skins Characters and Kits not a "What do you wanna see in GR2" there are alot of them in the forum

sorry had to get that off my chest

Woops, sorry.

In that case... I don't see a great need for improvement, to be honest. Modding for GR has always been so easy - probably the easiest game I can think of. IGOR is amazing for what it's supposed to do and the whole file system has a very short learning curve.

As I've seen already mentioned, expansion of available IGOR commands (triggers and responses) and some way of implementing new character animations without overwriting original files is all I ask.

Just something to make maps would be cool. In all honesty we don't have many great maps made by modders. If you don't include frostbite we don't have many at all to tell the truth :(

True about the topic, but you can't mod what isn't there. Features in GR2 would have to be available to give the modders the ability to spread their creative wings.

A moddable AI alone would change the nature of several mods. Can you imagine a Gangland-style mod where you could re-script the AI to react like real-world thugs, instead of hardened combat veterans? The ability to give your enemies a hit-and-run-cause-I-can't-stand-and-fight persona would add to the experience. (Not to mention it would mimic Iraq's army well) Advancing features to make expansion/conversion mods user-friendly only helps.

I guess that you can't really separate the two (modding and features) completely.

Yes, maybe add something into the scripting in GR2 to allow more AI emotions and reactions. Like, they'll get outnumbered and run or fight to the death and so on. This makes gameplay much more realistic and interesting instead of shooting non-moving enemies who have crack shot skills. Oh yeah, better animation moddability. :)