WTB Proper freakin Military style FPS for PC

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think invisibility has any business in a serious military style FPS.

I agree, but each game dev has a different notion of 'realism.' Like incorporating semi-realistic weapon ballistics in game, then allowing the player to carry two rifles plus max ammo for each (even going as far as allowing the support class to take and LMG with an AR as a backup weapon)

I always hated that about the 2-gun system. I always figured that a long-gun and a short-gun would be the most realistic combo, but in all of the Call of Duty games, as well as Crysis, Medal of Honor, and a few others, the best combo is two assault rifles. Shoot, they even did that in Rainbow Six: Vegas and its sequel. I thought the sub-machine gun backup thing was stretching it, but the fact that your teammates had to do it but you didn't brought the whole thing into frustrating focus. Just like having the M8 compact as a "side-arm" alongside the M8 carbine for your main weapon in GRAW and GRAW 2. At least ArmA kind of gets it right, but the fact that not even snipers can have backup weapons or subcompact smgs really bothers me. It seems like there's an all-or-nothing approach to kit restriction approach, instead of the reasonable and believable restrictions that exist in the real world.

I've butted heads with a few of you for stating as much, but basically I want developers to ask what things a real soldier would never do and figure out rational, believable ways to prevent such actions, then fill in the gameplay from there. I think a subtractive approach to game design (rather than the addition based approach that is NORG) leads to more realistic games.

As far as I know, some M240B/G gunners in US service were required to carry also a carbine. The same thing with the improved M14s.

I'm talking LMG with like 3 belts of ammo and AR with like 7 mags of ammo. Plus like six grenades each, and a pistol with like 10 mags, like. Know, like, what I mean, like? Soldiers ain't space marines, not in this age anyway.

Edited by WytchDokta

Some more:

Inconsistant total ammo count.

You got a rifle with a 25 round mag. The total ammo you can carry for that rifle is 360 rounds. I'm no mathemetician, but even I can tell you that it does not compute - 25 does NOT go into 360, leaving you with an odd amount of rounds for your last mag. Learn 2 count.

'Special Forces' enemy AI that don't behave how SF soldiers would behave

In fact, they don't work as a team and a single one charges at you firing full auto from the hip. Then another one attempts to 'snipe' you from distance with a shotgun - and this is an open map with no CQB areas. On top of that, for some reason they have double the hitpoints of 'normal' enemy AI (if there is such thing as normal AI), yet they wear no more armour. And they use unsilenced weapons. I mean seriously, make it believable.

As far as I know, some M240B/G gunners in US service were required to carry also a carbine. The same thing with the improved M14s.

I'm talking LMG with like 3 belts of ammo and AR with like 7 mags of ammo. Plus like six grenades each, and a pistol with like 10 mags, like. Know, like, what I mean, like? Soldiers ain't space marines, not in this age anyway.

Sorry for this off topic reply but like, I liked it, like ok...like? bruahahahaha :rofl:

ok carry on....

LOL, I just thought I'd make my post kid friendly by 'putting a donk on it' and speaking their language, like innit bruv right? LOL. That's why I'm like adding LOL to the end of every sentence now right, LOL. Being a 'family' site and all right, I thought I like better write something kid friendly, other than like allowing my 'tourettes by proxy' to take precedence right. LOL.

Too old for video games? I'm not as old as some of you guys, nor am I no kid.

Another minor thing not needed in video games is subtitles that don't match what is being said, in particular, when a character swears and the subtitles omit the swear. What's the taboo? The game is rated 18 for a reason.

Edited by WytchDokta

Did you actually read the article? Or just the title?

I also found the subtitles in CoD: Black Ops to be ludicrously uneven. Still, that could be because the framing story (which was the only place where they did the @$#%! bit) was written and coded before the developers/publishers had come to terms with getting an M/18+ rating.

• 2 weeks later...

A few things that need to be 'addressed' (not removed, rather 'addressed') is the 'stick-on' weapons phenomenon. So:

'Stick-On' Weapons/Magnetic Armour

This occurs is virtually every third person shooter out there, and sometimes in first person, when viewing other characters. You might have guessed, this is about carring ALL your weapons on your back *cough* Mass Effect 2 Soldier class can carry five weapons, three 'stuck-on' the back of the breast plate *cough* *cough*

Now here the thing: weight. Weight directly affects physics and gravity, that is, putting it realistically - in games, weapon weight does not factor into it. Several weapons, devoid of weapon slings, magically 'stuck' to the backplate of a persons armour would pull the armour down and likely impact the carriers manoeuvrability. Although, these realistic physics always get left out of games with 'realistic' physics in them. That said, I'm not sure if it's a case of magnetic armour (with magnets that powerful, you would realistically stick to parts of the level geometry when you tried to pass) or 'stick-on' weapons. :)

Also, the whole 'Are You Sure?' thing needs to be addressed too:

Are You Sure?

Everytime I change a setting.... 'Are You Sure?' Uh, well, I wouldn't have changed it if I wasn't sure now would I? Are You Sure You Want To Quit? You're not funny. However, I AM sure that I'm sure of being sure that I want to for sure sneak up behind some-one camping and 'snipe' them in the back of the head at point blank range with the sniper rifle, just to be sure of being sure for sure.

Edited by WytchDokta

Wait, you're criticizing Mass Effect 2 for being unrealistic? It wasn't the space-opera setting, or the magical element that you add mass (e.g. electrons) to to decrease its mass (no joke, folks!), its the fact that the battle suit of the future that may in fact have magnets in it doesn't sag under the weight of the weapons? Really?!

They already play fast and loose with realism in that game series, I don't see how another straining-credibility addition will make it worse.

As far as (for instance) Rainbow Six Vegas, or Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, or even (gasp!) ArmA or something similar, its always because rendering the sling believably is really low on the developer's priority list considering that it only breaks the immersion of people looking for a reason to hate the game.

As for the confirmation dialogs, I totally understand why they're there. If I accidentally exited out of ArmA II without meaning to, I'd be pretty upset with myself since it takes about 2 minutes for it to load completely to the main menu, let alone enter the next play session.

I can understand carrying like 16 weapons if they were Space Marines - genetically enhanced humans, taller/stronger than normal humans, can one-handedly wield automatic weapons of .vm something calibre, and wear power armour. Last time I checked, Shephard ain't no Space Marine.

Also Mass Defect :) 2 has the 'AI focus primarily on shooting at the player' thing, and some inconsistant ideology - like, none of your squad 'cept Grunt can be given the Krogan shotgun (Vanguard and Soldier player classes also can with the correct training - yet Shephard is human), because the massive recoil would break any humans arm, or so the description reads. So then, why is there an Asari on Miranda's loyalty mission (Anyala?) who wields the Krogan shotgun, and it the cutscene, it is clearly shown there is no recoil when firing the weapon at Niket?

However, the Asari are aesthetically pleasing and taking Legion into Tali's loyalty mission is hilarious, I'll give you that much. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Oh dear. Recent titles with mute NPC's that seem oblivious to each others' presence.

Take GoW3 for example (in which the bots in multiplayer seem to influenced by Brink bots - killing themselves with the Boomshots and Torque Bows or girly throwing grenades so it bounces off a nearby wall and explodes in [the thrower's] face), pass through each Stranded area and notice that each different Stranded camp has the same NPC's - same faces, same clothing, everything. And they pratically just stand there without interacting with each other. Point is, even Oblivion (which is what, like 5 years old AND has a much bigger game world) had NPC's that actually went and talked to each other, all had different appearances and clothing etc.

So in strict point of fact, this thread has become "things WytchDokta dislikes in games, that may or may not have any real relation to the demand for a military-style FPS as stated in the original post". Noted.

Edited by petsfed

You got the wrong end of the stick - most of things I've mentioned are relevant for military shooters. For example: the superhuman strength phenomenom - OF: Dragon Rising and much less the sequel had this. As I recall, in OF: DR, you would start some missions with a rifle, sidearm and RPG, then further into the missions you could find and pickup an additional rifle that WOULD NOT replace the RPG. Same thing with the NPC's, realistic military missions would have soldiers moving through villages, for various reasons. In reality, those NPC's, otherwise known as 'civilians', would talk to and interact with each other, but don't in several military shooters. In reality, soldiers don't have sniper-grenades or power armour, things I've said before, but I've seen in some military shooters enemies throwing grenades from an extreme distance and that grenade landing a few inches away from you, and I've played military shooters where enemies can withstand atleast a full 30-round mag of bullets before they die. Just to name a few. Unless you guys actually WANT these features in a military shooter along with hostile AI shooting ONLY at the player while ignoring the players' squad, and remain 100% accurate while firing full magazine bursts.

I don't claim ownership of this thread, it's not my problem that others haven't been providing input to this thread for a while.

Now, if you'd excuse me, I really should get that Caps Lock key looked at, seems to stick on sometimes.... :)

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, now you guys have got me started. You idiot devs, make a game like this:

Player Model

Okay, it's this extremely high-tech new game and it is the most realistic ever. But, oh wait, I look at the ground to discover that I am nothing but a floating pair of arms!

LET ME MOD

I buy games to expand upon them. I don't want to play the same levels over and over, I want to create new ones. Give me a mission editor, please!

Decent Hand-to-hand Combat Capabilities

No, I don't want a Kung-Fu game, but c'mon. An enemy foot soldier runs up to you, so your player automatically puts his gun at the ground because he is too close. What the heck? And instead of having the option to click a button and instantly have a knife stuck in a guy's face, maybe rifle whip them instead? I mean, in CoD the enemy AI can whack the crud outta you with their guns, but all you can do is make a knife magically appear from nowhere with 100% sureity of enemy casualties.

Good Game Editor

I'm fed up of only being able to make missions on the stock maps of GR, a ten year old game. In order to make maps for a game, why should I have to, a) buy 3dsMax 2 which was made twenty years ago and is no longer available or b) use the GRAW editor, but oh wait, you have to wait six hours every time you want to test something in your mission while it 'exports' it into the game.

No Killstreaks or Perks

How the heck does it happen that when I shoot an enemy with a full mag of 7.62 FMJ rounds in the face, that he runs behind a building and one shots me with a cap gun? And then when I throw four flash bangs and call a predator drone on his direct position and walk over to pick up his rifle, I discover that he is lying on the ground with a pistol that appeared from nowhere even though he didn't have it in his inventory and can one shot kill me with it. And get some decent killstreaks if you just HAVE to have them. Instead of a Harrier that has infrared night vision heat seeking infinite ammo super cannon that can shoot me at any place at any time although in real life no gunner is that accurate, how about having a M1A2 Abrams come rolling down the hill and blowing up some buildings? That way I could at least enjoy being killed.

Destructible Environments

Okay, you say that BF3 has destructible environments. Yeah, and you can also blow down an entire house with a 40mm grenade launcher. No. And their buildings 100% always are small 'homes' with no furniture whatsoever in them, and they always conveninetly have a ladder leading to the roof. How many modern houses have you seen lately with no furniture and a ladder to the roof with a water tank and sixteen explosive fuel cans with toxic markers on them?

Leave Jumping, but Add Stamina

I must argue that it would be pathetic to be a spec ops soldier who couldn't jump off the side of a 2ft. platform. We need jumping, but limit it. We should have stamina, yeah, fancy pants word right at you, we should have stamina, so that we can't run infinitely or use 'Marathon Pro' to run 20mph and do circles around someone with akimbo machine guns and shotguns. If you're carrying a shotgun, assault rifle, and a full load of gear, you can't run very long without tiring. Also, anyone played 'The Hornet's Nest' on MW2? And you jump and try to grab the roof edge as you fall when you miss the jump at the end? I think that agility would be a fun additon to games. Now don't go psycho on me, I don't mean to change FPS games to gymnastic simulations, but I think it would be awesome to jump off a ledge, barely grap the window sill and pull yourself over the edge and through the window.

Decommissioning for both SP and MP

If any of you have played Star Wars: Republic Commando, it has an interesting feature. If you are shot down, you can either reload the game from the last save, restart the game, or call your teammates to heal you. Now i'm not saying that if you get a load of buckshot in your teeth some idiot can come and drop a package on you to put you back at full health, but I think it would be epic to get your leg plastered, fall to the ground (WITHOUT A PISTOL APPEARING IN YOUR HAND) and be able to crawl away and slowly recover. Even better, I think by pressing the Use key next to a downed teammate, you should be able to pick him up and carry him to safety. That would be incredible. (Unless you have some idiot teamkiller who drops you off a ledge :devil: )

Vehicles should stay

I think vehicles should go back to the role that htey had in OGR, that you can ride in them and use them in scripting missions, but they won't be available in MP Tvt Games. I just love in BFBC2 when I load a guy full of lead with my sniper rifle (about 4 shots with a .50 caliber rifle) and he, when within 10 meters of a tank, magically dissapears inside the tank without crawling in, opening the door, or doing anything whatsoever, and he wheels around and guns me down with the turret.

FPS games aren't movies

Although the makers of CoD don't believe this, first person shooters are not supposed to be movies. I'll go turn on my widescreen for that. I come here to kill people how I want to, not how they want me to. I don't want to follow some whackjob around as he screams out curse words at 600rpm and seems to aimbot every enemy that comes near him. I can't stand these role playing games these days where you have these invincible NPCs that fail the mission when shot by you. If I want to kill my captain, it's my decision and it is a free country!

No more fail conditions!

I am sick of seeing Mission Failed: You didn't reach the waypoint in exactly 5:00 minutes.

I don't care if Harry the Hostage eats dust, or if Captain McMillan is killed by his own stupidity, or if I have too few rockets to destroy the tank that is no threat to me and is hunderds of yards away. It's the civilians' problem if she decides to run in front of my machine gun in a conflict. And as my dad said while on a tactical training course in Nevada, when he shot a target who was deemed a 'reporter', "He shouldn't have been in the middle of a battle."

I'll think some more up later. :thumbsup:

Edited by rileyfletcher_01

I think the insta-fail conditions are overused, agreed. Even so, if your only job in a mission is one specific objective, and you fail it, and there's no possible way for your "side" to recover after such a failure (e.g. "Your entire base has been overrun. As you read this, the enemy is now methodically executing all of your comrades. Restart? Y/N"), the "Mission failed!" screen is justified.

I also feel like occasional scripted and/or cinematic moments can be nice in moderation. I don't need to play a Michael Bay movie like in Call of Duty, but I do appreciate the cinematic quality of getting your bacon saved by a just-in-time air-strike, or of watching another team performing their job exactly as they're supposed to. That was the stuff Call of Duty was originally built on, a feeling of being part of a much larger operation, and I think Ghost Recon managed to preserve that feeling as well, up to about halfway through GRAW. Now its all character-driven stories, which wouldn't be so bad if their main characters weren't all written to be these gruff, sarcastic, anti-heroes. You start to get the impression that in that universe, the Army application consists of a single question: Are you Steven Segal? If you say yes, they give you a gun. If you say no, its logistics and support.

I've never liked the too-open world like the Elder Scrolls games, and I think that Ghost Recon would suffer from trying to imitate it. It needs enough structure that you don't feel lost (a la ArmA II), but not so much structure that it starts to feel like a ride at Disney World (albeit more sanitary, but more profane). Rainbow Six, pre-Lockdown managed this pretty well too.

Riley, you missed the 'shot in the foot = instakill' phenomena.

The thing with you putting a full AK mag worth of rounds into an enemy to little effect and then them dropping you with one shot from a pea shooter is otherwise known as 'Enemies Wearing Invisible Power Armour.'

And the thing with the movies - I know. It's like, play for ten minutes - five minute long unskippable cutscene. Play for ten minutes - five minute long unskippable cutscene. And then, the devs boast their games has like a ten hour long campaign - and deliberately do not mention the fact that half of the campaign running time is made up of (unskippable) cutscenes.

And atleast in Skyrim I'll be able to kill whoever the hell I want to, which, depending on the character killed, can have a knock-on effect with the economy (oh, and did I say the game length is indefinite as you can continue after completing the main quest, and you can skip conversations and cutscenes. But no, let's all buy short games where half the game consists of unskippable cutscenes, you can only kill certain characters, and it takes four .50 cal rounds to kill a character wearing no armour.) :P

What you wrote is funny dude, I see some-one else outside of the media understands the 'exaggeration for effect' idea. Funny how everyone is all over these games with all these unnecessary unwanted things in though, never figured that out myself. :)

I feel better if I get this out on paper (or on a website) These are less gripes, but more ideas. And I know it is possible with today's techonology to do these things.

More Weapon Flexibility

I think it would be great to be able to drop your weapon, just like those guys on TV who throw their MG away cause they only have two more mags remaining :rofl: . Seriously, it would be fun if you could drop weapons though.

There Is No Such Thing As Too Much Firepower

CoD made this statement untrue. What kind of foot soldier would call in a nuke on his position? I mean, c'mon. And it displays Victory if you call in a nuke? Somehow that just doesn't seem right. Give us some cool tools, like maybe a grappling line or something so you could climb up a wall and stab someone. Now that would be cool.

Better Animations

How can they claim that the game is the most realistic ever if you can't see your hands performing actions? I find it ridiculous that when I pick up a gun, it appears in my hands and mine appears on the ground. I hate in RSV2 where if I pick up a shotgun while I have my rifle out, it swaps my pistol for it or whatever. Who the heck cares if I get a shotgun in place of my rifle? I understand it would be unrealistic if you could replace a pistol with an LMG though, cause there'd be no place to hold it, but c'mon. Also, I love how when you're sabotaging something you get this yellow spot right perfectly exactly where you have to place it, and even if you do it manually with your own explosives it does nothing to the target. And when you do finally plant the charge using the 'action key' instead of actually doing it like a man, you have this 'progress bar' that shows how long until you're done with it. Why the heck can't it be like in 'Bomb Squad' or like in MP where your guy pressed the buttons and then sets the case down? It seems that SP should have that as well. Also, make the switching weapon animation more realistic, like actually 'drawing' your handgun instead of just 'cycling' your arms around and having it appear. Oh, and I just love how Shepherd holds his .44 Magnum like a submachien gun. This was also an issue in OGR where people armed with handguns but didn't use them would hold them like submachine guns. You'd think ten years later someone could've fixed that, but no, we're too busy making more idiotic perks for those noobs who don't know how to play.

Realistic Wounds and Injuries

This is not really a complaint, but I think it would be a great idea to include this. I am shocked that modern games leave out something that ten year old GR has. Wound textures. What the heck, people? What happened to getting shot in the leg by a sniper, having a red stain across your hip, and limping. Now all you do is run at about 15mph after being shot in the face with a SPAS12 and regenerate after 8 seconds. Also, a feature I would love (this goes under the hand-to-hand combat category), it would be awesome if when you get wounded, you have 'stages' like this (of course you would have to have formulas to determine the exact percentage of damage depending on the weapon, but this is just an idea):

Light Wound (handgun, melee): 15% health decrease, blurred vision

Medium Wound (second light wound, rifle, forceful melee): 25% health decrease, possibly knocked to ground, if strong enough, you drop your gun :o )

Heavy Wound (second medium wound, third light wound, sniper or machine gun, explosion): 35% health decrease, fall to ground completely, drop weapon.

Using Objects, Not Always Guns

How cool would it be to get knocked to the ground by a pistol whipping, grab a nearby broom, and start whackin' the crud outta your attacker? I would love to have a more flexible game where you could use everyday items. I mean think of the possibilities if your gun runs low on ammo or you lose it, how you could use things. Also, I would love to be able to hotwire some minivan in the parking lot and do a drive-by gunning on some baddies :o=:o=

Better Weapon Slot Setup

I think that the weapon slot system needs to be refined. How about starting with three slots, you get to hold one rifle, have another on your back, have a holster for handguns or machine pistols, and a pack for gear. Also, you know how in some games in cinematic moments (not watching, but like in the CoD series where your gun is down at the ground, also in RSV2), I think it would be cool to have something like a 'toggle readiness' button, where by pressing a key you could lower or raise your weapon so that in non-combat situations you wouldn't go around with your rifle poised to fire.

Bring Back Shuffling!

I loved when like in OGR, where you could either, a) shuffle, b) walk, or c) sprint. And please, get rid of the pathetic running limits in singleplayer. I mean, your guy can run for about 3.28 seconds before he runs out of 'energy', yet, how come if he can't run another step he can begin running in a nother 0.41 seconds and his accuracy is not decreased by a bit? Some specops guy is going to be able to run a long ways for a long time without tiring, and after a long run he should have decreased accuracy.

Long Term Injuries

I know I already mentioned this, but I want long term injuries back! I don't wanna regenerate after ten seconds! Last Stand is the only permament thing in modern games, and that is extremely pathetic. If a grenade goes off five meters away from you, you should get torn up, and when you look down you can see your own blood :o:o I know graphic, isn't it? But it's realistic and I wanna be able to see the results if I just got hit by a predator. Also, leave limping in, and I would like to have bad accuracy and shaky arms after being hit in the arms. Decreased stamina if hit in the chest as well.

If I Get Blown Up, Why Don't I Fall Down?

Once again, how can a ten-year old game have a very realistic and important feature that modern games don't?

I think BFBC2 was the worst of all modern games about this. After being killed, your screen turns sideways and your view is still at the same view it was when you died. What the heck? If I get blown up by a Mk19 Fully Automatic Mounted Grenade Launcher, I'm not going to turn my head sideways and have my vision turn grey. I'm gonna fly across the map, land in a heap, and either see red or black. GRAW was the only modern game to stay true to this, as you can get thrown pretty far after being killed. In MW2, the camera just snaps to a view from the ground looking up to where you were in the past. Oh, and you get to see a great little quote when you die too. I mean, it's fun, but they should have an option to disable it as well.

Language Gets Old

I can't say that I find language very offensive, but my family does and they don't appreciate hearing Sgt. Foley getting the anger outta his system ;) I mean, the language is really unnecessary and it adds zero realism to it. "Ramirez, *ng get the h*ll over here to *ng cover me while I get this son of a ###### to safety so we can kill some more d*mned *ss-kicking b*st*rds. :huh: I either have to a) turn voices off so I see Cpt. Price screaming at me to do something, and a few moments later get a mission failed sign, or b) use the Disable Disturbing Content (how is language 'disturbing'?) and then if I do that I don't get to see people's arms get blown off :( What fun is that?

I Shoot You, You Don't Die, And You Kill Me With A Marshmallow Launcher

I love how (not too bad in modern SP games, but this factor shows up alot in MP) when you load a guy up with a M249 Squad Automatic Weapon, he runs behind a corner, regenerates within 5 seconds, and runs up, either a) tubes you without having any idea where you are, b) rapidly throws four flashbangs at you and rushes up to stab you, or c) supposedly dies and upon reaching him discover that he has a magically apperaing pistol in his hand to nail you with one shot even though its a cap gun and you have a light machine gun.

Let's Be Jason Bourne, Not John Rambo

I'm fed up (this is one of my strongest opinions against modern games) with the super-never-tire-out Marathon perk and the look-ma-I-can-run-like-a-cheetah Lightweight perks. If I want to try to outrun people, I'll go buy Grand Auto Theft or something. I buy FPS to kill people, not run circles around them and tap them in the foot with a pocket knife to kill them. I mean, how are you gonna die from getting your foot cut? Even a bowie knife can't do that, and you wouldn't die until like ten minutes later from blood loss. Please, give me a decent game where I can sometimes use stealth. Even OGR didn't have much stealth in it, because the AI had their all-seeing eye, although MP games were more tactical-stealth oriented (like the time I hid in a bush and then ran up to shoot a guy with a full mag of '1911 rounds :devil: )

Anyway, there's my second part of a six-piece lecture to game devs.

Edited by rileyfletcher_01

^^ :rofl: :rofl: ^^

Finally, some-one who AGREES with the points I made before in this thread. The thing with the language though is that the VO company named 'Voice Actors With Touretttes' has such a good reputation with various game devs that they always get to do the voice acting. See Splinter Cell: Conviction for further details (when I shoot out a light near a group of enemies, the first one screeches "######ING HELL!!" at the top of his voice, the second one shouts "######!" and the third one says "holy ######" - seriously, what's the deal, I just shot out a light, ain't no biggy.) Don't take this ###### the wrong way, I got no problem with ######ING swearing. And I can understand its use in various ######ING situations. But strong ######ING swears over small ######ING ###### that ain't ######ING important to any-######ING-body just isn't necessary. You hear me? However, swearing in games DOES have it's good points: thanks to the Assassin's Creed game series, I now know to say some very strong swears in Italian.

Be careful what you ask for with going flying from getting blown up, etc. According to most devs, going 'flying' three miles (exaggeration for effect, just like in the media) across the map after taking a direct hit from explosive ordnance (or nuclear missile bombs in CoD speak) is realistic. It's like when devs make it so enemies go 'flying' after you blast them with a shotgun at point blank range. Hollywood and video games should be kept separate.

Cursing is a chicken-and-the-egg sort of proposition. In the endless press for "realism", you can't have a ton of gore, then suddenly have TV-14 language. It doesn't work that way. Go work with some blue-collar types (which, when you get down to it, is what modern soldiering is), and you'll hear it. Plus, I'm reliably informed that having people shoot at you is scary. Unless you're some kind of Solomon Kane for the 21st century, I expect that you can't maintain your cool for that long. From my own experience, politeness gets thrown out the window when you're staring down death, but have the time to remark on it.

As for raising and lowering your weapon, its ctrl-r in Arma II. But the thing you quickly notice about ArmA and Operation Flashpoint is that too much freedom can be just as crippling as too little. When it works, its AWESOME. But most of the time, it really doesn't work.