WTB Proper freakin Military style FPS for PC

Alright, we need to get this thread some publicity, we need to get game developers to view this thead as they still aren't listening to us about what we do/don't want in games, and things that kill the gameplay experience for us. I speak now directly in reference to games released after this thread was created; one in particular, however, I shall not name and shame this time (unless anyone asked)

Said game likely has a big following as it was hyped to the max before release, although reviews are mixed. This game was released within the last month (it is not CoD/MoH/Crysis). Even with the mix reviews and the positive game comments from store employees, I figured I'd give it the benfit of the doubt (I'm not one to listen to reviews, I choose whether a game is good or bad. I've often found that i've enjoyed games that has got lartgely negative reviews. Then again, i've always been one to go against the grain)

Frankly this game has the worst case of constantly relentlessly unnecessarily punishing the player that I've seen to date:

- The enemy AI cheats/actively run 'hax' to aid in their constant punish the player campaign. For example, they can use 'sniper grenades' (I'll come back to this soon) and they can shoot through your cover. For example, this time I had 3 enemies ahead of me, 2 directly ahead and one ahead at about a 35 degree angle. So, I go prone behind nearby waist-high cover, and somehow, their rounds are negating my cover (which was solid concrete BTW) and hitting me. Incidently, this happened with a lot of 'cover' in the game (could be a bug I guess, but I think it's more a case of cheating AI, as explained below)

- The enemies where 1000% accurate all the time with their weapons, no matter what weapons they use - AND they fire primarily in entire magazine bursts, while remaining 1000% accurate. This leads me to believe the enemy AI have been coded in such a way so as to use aimbots.

- The enemies shoot ONLY at the player, and this has been overdone in this game. That is, overdone to the point that they completely ignote your AI teammates bunched together behind the same cover putting down suppressive fire. What's that? You want me to flank and tag their APC with the laser designator? Note, all enemy fire is bouncing off my cover at this point. I'm the other side of the road to the AI teammates. So, two steps outside of cover and bang, objective failed. Well, I like might able to flank if the enemies weren't constantly hammering me and ignoring the AI teammates. ###### that ######. Sorry, but that needed to be said.

- As for the 'sniper grenades'.... Don't get me started on them. As with their main weapons, the enemies target ONLY that player with grenades. What a waste, use grenades to take out one person. So anyway, I was in a superior position on the first floor (second floor for you US folk) in a room overlooking and enemy position. Thing is, the building is taking fire from behind too, from some enemy stragglers halfway across the map, but they can't possibly hit me as there's only a 6 inch hole in the wall that side. Or so I lied to myself. I moved to the back of the room to reload when suddenly, I see a grenade come through the 6 inch whole in the wall. Seriously, now game devs are taking the ###### with their 'make the game morwe challenging'/punish the player ###### - this my friends, has stepped further over the line than I thought it would. That grenade could have only come from the stragglers behind who were halfway across the map. In another incident, your supposed to run to this truck for extraction while under fire. Only, your AI teammates get there first and drive off without you (so much for the whole 'AI teammates' thing). So you're left to run after the vehicle. Once i'd reqached it and climbed onboard, no joke, the grenade indicator comes up telling me that a (sniper) grenade has landed in the back of the truck! What. The. Hell. None of those incidents were scripted. How the hell did some enemy AI land a grenade in the back of a moving that was moving at speed and was some distance away from him? Sniper grenades? Give me a break.

- All this blatantly cheating enemy AI stuff caused me to get killed every 5 minutes in the game. Is that a game devs idea of fun? I tell you, I am on the verge of boycotting FPS's until devs stop including this ###### in their games. Yeah I get it, this game is not meant to be realistic. But I also get that there's unrealistic and there's taking the ######. And I know this, I would have enjoyed thos game considerably more and would certainoy not be writing this post slating it if it had neither of the 'features' above. Those 'features' quite frankly destroyed my gameplay experience utterly.

Don't get me wrong, there's probably some people out there that enjoy the game. But I certainly do not enjoy being constantly punished as the player. So I ask you who evidently like being punished as the plauer, is there something i'm doing wrong? I'm doing all the objectives and being punished for it. Should I not be following the objectives and instead just be goofing around? Would. I as the player not get punsihed then? Seriously people, tell me, is it just me?

Edit: that would be Edit not Quote. Sorry for that mods. :)

Edited by WytchDokta
Removed quote, no need to quote yourself in your own post

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sniper grenades :P

I hate visibility in games, like when you cannot see the enemy and he can see you, and even when you can see him, but he cannot see you.

Also, some enemies got some kind of sensor that tells them where exactly you are.

Some older games, like R6, GR and SWAT 3 (with a really good, nearly perfect, noise system) made it right a decade ago, why the new games don't get it?

It doesn't deduce from gameplay. Cheating AI deduces from gameplay.

yeah, that is quite annoying when they dont implement the AI accurately, i think MOH airborne was almost there in some cases, but sometimes it worked the wrong way, i could get withing about 2 meters of a man faceing the same way as me, but as soon as i raise my gun sights they would notice i was there. but the enemy would shoot people other than me, but i think the tiger tanks ruined it a little, physically they were fantastic (apart from when an M4A2 sherman tank weighing 30 tonnes can somehow move a 50 tonne tiger like it was a pile of paper in "market Garden") but in an AI sense, the first time you meet one of these in Airborne when you get the M18 bundles, the first thing they would do (in my opinion) is blow up the central house and take out the stragglers. so i think Vehicle AI would need a tune up too.

Edited by Zeealex

go on, tell me :P

it would be great to see if a developer would take on the burden of creating a game like this, maybe someone should email City interactive over it or something :P

It wasn't developed by City Interactive. Good guess though. :)

Although, 'that' game was a joke too. How enemies could see you between undergrowth when you're wearing a ghillie suit. Like, you got all this tall grass, bramble etc all round you and are peering through a gap in it to line up a shot on the enemy, but as soon as you train your sights on the enemy, a torrent of bullets rains down on your position.

As for the 'other' game mentioned earlier, it wasn't all bad. In fact, it was the most hilarious game I've played. You see, there was achievements for completing each chapter on Hard difficulty. The thing is, there is no Hard difficulty in that game - whether you go campaign or quick mission, there was nowhere to select difficulty, not even in the options menu. Now that's funny. :)

Sniper grenades :P

:yes: You know you want some.

go on, tell me :P

Trouble is, then the more extreme among the fans of that game will come hunt me down and try to flush me out with sniper grenades (from three miles away). They're just jealous that they can't slate games like I do. :D

Polly's Pony Adventures. Now that's a game I can enjoy, with a level of realism I can get along with. :rofl: :rofl:

by the sounds of it, it isnt crysis 2.

I had already said this. Although, theoretically I said Crysis, using it as a loose term to refer to all Crysis games (like people say CoD meaning MW2 and they say CoD meaning Blacking Ops, and of course, they say CoD meaning fish)

I think I'll keep you guys guessing the true identity of the game I mentioned earlier as it's more fun for me. Of course, the fanboiz won't have a clue as to what game I'm talking about. :D

Looks like I'll be returning this game to the store. If devs want to learn the hard way they shall. I'm quite certain that Brink and ES5: Skyrim won't let me down and won't have the gameplay experience destroying features mentioned in this thread. So I guess it's RPG's and third person shooters/action/horror from here on out - until FPS devs can prove to me they've made a game with features people actually want, and without all this unnecessary gameplay experience destroying junk. Too bad, there's some good FPS's out there, but whatever.

They better not have that 'shoot primarily at the player' crap in ME3 (it was in ME2) either. BioWare already pushed it with a DLC for DA2 in which all of the achievements are glitched and thus, do not unlock.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice post @ OP. I'll admit to not having read through any of the posts bar the first couple.

The main thing from how I see it is 'choice'. Don't tell me how I have to play the game, let me make that decision for myself.

Be it OGR or the bunny hopping game that is CS:S I have been able to run adapt servers to the style of game play I like and people have come back for more on a regular basis. But night after night of the same thing whatever you enjoy most eventually gets a tad boring.

So give me the choice to adapt my server to the type og gameplay I prefer and allow modders to do their thing and you are half way to success already... well for MP games anyway.

Don't tell me how I have to play the game, let me make that decision for myself.

This. For me it's same IRL. I went undergrround and turned my back on a lot of people because I wanted to be what I wanted to be, but they wanted me to be what they wanted me to be. Now I call the shots.

oh wytch found some incorrect terminology for you to munch on in a game i glorify so much.

"anybody got an extra clip?!"

Frontlines Fuel Of War

uuuuhhh its a MAGAZINE :P

what else would i want in a game? oh yeah

if you get shot, you dont get blood in your eyes do you? no, didn't think so. if you want to make it harder for people to see if they have been shot, you blurr the players "eyes" simple as that really.

blood on a headcam, yes.

and another thing, physics. if a soldier dies, rgdoll physics takes over most of the time in modern games calling it "more realistic" but let's face it, i've said this in a rant about ghost recon before but this is overall now. you are not going to break your back in four places, dislocate your arm and snap your neck from a short fall like that are you? again, no. so unique (or hardly repeated) dying animations may actually be better considering the circumstances.

and one last one, when looking at an NPC when the sprint, their gun is down at their abdomen, but when you sprint your gun is in your face uuuhhh okay, when i am sprinting in airsoft against my mum and friends. i always have my gun near my abdomen or depending on the model i keep it close to my chest, NEVER in my face. thankfully GRAW had this done right, so if Ubi keeps on with that good physical work then it might just make me buy GRFS.

The ragdoll physics thing can often be unrealiistic as hell, and often just plain messes things up. I've had this happen in ES5: Oblivion and SC:C - the angle and direction that the enemy gets knocked back (or in these cases, 'fly' rather than get knocked back) is disproportionate to the angle they were hit from. They should be thrown in the opposite direction of the hit, bit in these case they 'fly' in some other direction, mostly straight upwards, as if they were propelled from below yet you hit them from behind, on level ground. It's funny to see the ragdoll physics or Havok physics (or whatever they're calling it these days) do stuff like that when it's not meant to, but that's besides the point.

Test your game PROPERLY before releasing it. Not like the developers of Fallout: New Vegas, who released a patch for their game on the games release date, stating that the patch included over 200 fixes for the game. Game release fail FTW. Atleast Splash Damage have got it right at the moment (and probably the only dev so far to do this) by bringing the release date of Brink forward by one week (which doesn't of course mean it will be anymore polished than a game that get indefinitely pushed back *cough* like Ubisoft like to do *cough*, but the point is that the release date got brought forward, not pushed back.

Funny thing about 'clips' - there is one A-Team episode where they have BA hypnotised to go on a plane, with the trigger word being Eclipse. So they get into a firefight near the end and Face Man yells, "Out of ammo. Need clips. BA, I need clips!" Of course, the 'ee' sound from the word 'need' combined with the word 'clips' forms 'eclipse' - thus BA falls into hypnosis during the firefight. I think the director/scriptwriter were trying to convey a message in that. So remember kids, it's mag(azine)s not (e)clips. :)

Edited by WytchDokta

XD thats quite funny, i have to get the box set of A-team, i'll harrass mum for it :P

i think the best portrayal of ragdoll physics was in GRAW as well -ish, looking back on it when you shot an enemy, they would just collapse dependent on where you hit them, it wasn't over exaggerated. but it's integrating that more believable havok physics with limping actions i want to see.

that is a bit of a release fail. it makes me wonder if the game testers are slightly biased.

XD thats quite funny, i have to get the box set of A-team, i'll harrass mum for it :P

IIRC, the episode was entitled: "In Plane Sight" or something along those lines.

Exaggerated physics sucks. Like, you shoot an enemy with a shotgun at point blank range and they go 'flying' 20 foot. What is this, Hollywood or a video game? :nono:

But whatever, need clips! :D

:D

oh another thing, a good game always has to have an amazing soundtrack, no cheezy ######.

in other words this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89oDInfPnWs

no your speakers arent broken in a part of it, thats how it is mean to be.

or this

not the cheesy ###### you get on GRAW or CoD agreed Tom salta is fantastic, but the music for GRAW was a little off, too hollywood to put it nicely.

FFOW is better than GRAW with their music but it's still cruddy.

Bill Brown is definately one to consider, his music is great. the cheesiest yet is Spec ops: Covert assault, realistic game, ###### music.

call the music i listen to crap, but it's a matter of opinion, it's what i see in the music that makes me like it.

Edited by Zeealex

call the music i listen to crap, but it's a matter of opinion, it's what i see in the music that makes me like it.

This.

I always turn off the music in games. In some games, I view having the music on as kind of cheating (or essentially having an avantage over players who play with the music off). I say that because in games L4D you'll get certain music playing just prior to coming up on a mini-boss (Tank or Witch). I prefer to actually listen for the distinct noises they make when they are present. So I'm in effect at a disadvantage, as I don't have music to cue me in, although I am aware that the lack of zombies in an area is a definite sign of the presence of a mini-boss.

Besides, I just can't relate to music in games. Whereas, with the music I listen to, I 'connect' with the music. Like when you feel you 'connect' with a person for whatever reason, that the same thing between me and my music. And in my music there's a strong sense of unity among the people, and a strong sense of belonging to a greater cause (also, the music is more than that for those of us in the scene - it's a way of life. The more extreme members of the scene view the music as a religion.) For me, these things are non-existant in game music (or other overhyped mainstream music genres)

sorry being rude.

To who? The music that chavs and thugs listen to is a far cry from the music I listen to, it's not even remotely similar in the slightest. Careful not to fall into the trap of the media here. They tell a very different story of those involved in my music scene and the thing is, the media doesn't even know anything about the music scene or its people. Like I tell people, take the word of some-one actively involved in the scene, or take the biased exaggerated word of the media who can't even name our music subgenres correctly. The level of respect for others from the people in my music scene is such that we allow them to form their own opinion, we do nit force our views onto others. Notice how I use 'we' and to refer to people in my music scene; I am bound by the code.

EDIT: oops, I still haven't lost that habit of swapping u's with y's. Seven months in dual-language North Wales can did that to me. :)

Edited by WytchDokta

i know i figured that out on the what music are you listening to thread. but i just felt like having a rant about the ###### chavs listen to :P

Exactly, you won't find chavs listening to Noisekick, and you won't find thugs liistening to Legal Terrorism. In fact, those true to my music scene are opposed to happy or mellow music; the code dictates.

But anyway, back on topic. :)