Yep, Apple Killed The CD

CR6

I've got to wonder if bulky hard drives are going to meet the same fate; the memory card in my phone has more capacity than my first computer did, and if you could read and write to large USB devices at speeds equal to or greater than those of hard disks, then why not just use USB devices?

Yep, Apple Killed The CD

Not entirely. There will still be a market for CD's in the music industry for the forseeable future. Not just for consumers either, it's an ideal format for DJ's because they hold more tracks than vinyl, and the DJ's can load their own tracks onto them for their sets. MP3 is another format widely used instead of vinyl now too, just blast the tracks out from a laptop (hooked up to an audio rig in the club), much less equipment to carry than bulky record bags.

I think CDs will die pretty quick on laptops and other portable devices. On desktops.... it will be a lot longer I bet. As for SSDs, if the technology can keep improving and cut costs, I see no reason why they couldn't be used. The only problem is for people who need massive amounts of storage, I still think spinning disk drives will allow for more space for some time to come.