Ghost Recon.net Forums

Surround Sound options for TV?

I've a plasma and a PS3 that I'd like to hook up to a (budget end) surround sound system, I'm a bit clueless here so what are my options?

How to I set things up so the surround sounds comes through the new speakers without faffing about changing cable around with the PS3 and TV? :whistle:

My guess is that the PS3 is connected to the TV via HDMI. You're tv should have a few different audio out options. You'll have to connect the TV audio out to whatever is running you're surround sound (i.e. a receiver or dvd player). It is somewhat hard to give you a better picture of how to set it up without knowing what you have.

My personal suggestion though is to use some great turtle beach or Tritton head phones. I picked up a decent pair for $60 and I love using it way more then using surround sound. My kids don't have to hear the cursing in the games and the neighbors don't complain either.

The PS3 has an optical digital (Toslink) out port on the back. Your surround system most likely has an optical digital in - the simplest method is to get an optical cable and connect the two. You should be able to find one for under $10. You don't have to mess with the TV at all.

Yeh I don't have any home theatre at the moment, only what was in my first post, ie.e Plasma LG, and PS3, with a virgin media cable box.

Cable box and PS3 connect by HDMI to the plasma's 2 HDMI ports.

I saw yesterday that Sony have released a sound bar for the PS3, but reading further into it, it's only really stereo with Sony's own spacial jiggerypokery to make it seem like surround sound. I'd rather go for the full 5.1. The main reason is obviously the better sound quality, but also so I can tweak the output for more volume on the dialogue (centre channel) as right now with just the telly speakers the big noises are too loud and the dialogue to quiet.

Onkyo seem to be highly recommended, but a tad too expensive.

Onkyo does make some nice systems.. I have one of them hooked up to my Xbox 360 & PS3. Having a real sound system makes a HUGE difference - there's really no comparison to TV speakers, especially when it comes to movies. I would even go so far to say I'd take a regular TV with a good surround sound system over an HDTV with cheap speakers.

There are some good values in the "HTIB" (home theater in a box) category. These kits usually include a receiver, subwoofer, and 5 or 7 speakers. I would recommend going over to www.avsforum.com which is to home theater what this site is to Ghost Recon. There are sure to be good sales on this stuff over the holidays - I would definitely save up and/or wait for a sale and get a nicer system. And while they come out with new models and (mostly useless) new features every six months, my 7-year-old Onkyo is still going strong and does everything I need it to, so consider spending a little more now if you can since it's something you can keep around for a long time.

I would recommend going over to www.avsforum.com which is to home theater what this site is to Ghost Recon.

Ah yes I have been there over the years, I will go back and check it out now, thanks!

EDIT

This Onkyo is a bit more than I planned to spend, but the guy posting about the easy and effective PS3 connection has be just about sold.

I'll do some more reading at the AVforums.

The Onko looks like a nice system.

I may be stating the obvious here but the thing to watch out for when buying these all in one packages is the speakers are not up to much.

My surround system was about the same price as the one in your link Rocky but I was quite unimpressed with the sound quality, after ditching the speakers and getting some good floor standing fronts, decent rears and a 14 inch sub it now sounds like you are watching a live performance.

When my Mum wanted to get a surround system I advised her not to buy a all in one package but go for separates, buy the receiver then get the best speakers you can afford, Mum was pleased with what she got and it sounds better than mine.

I'm a bit of a sound "geek", I never regretted replacing my speakers, just a thought.

Yeah I would definitely agree that getting speakers + receiver separately is a better option, but it means more money. From what I can tell, the receiver that comes with that bundle is the same as the TX-SR308 which you can get for £200 if you wanted to get speakers separately. Or you could start with the receiver and beg/borrow/steal a set of cheap speakers to use until you can save up for something really nice.

It looks like that model has three HDMI ports on it, so you wouldn't have to run a digital optical cable between it and the PS3. You just run HDMI from the PS3 and cable box to the receiver, then HDMI from the receiver to the TV. Instead of using the TV remote to switch between the two, you'll do it on the receiver. Very easy!