Wireless N Router Suggestions

firefly2442

Two questions:

1) Has the Wireless N protocol been standardised completely yet? I know some devices were certifying "draft" versions of wireless N. My ASUS eee PC 1000 w/SSD says it supports wireless N but to be honest, I'm not sure I've ever tried it with N wireless. I'm not sure if it supports the current specification or how to check this.

2) I'm looking for a wireless router that does N that uses one of the open firmwares like DD-WRT, Tomato, etc. I have a Linksys WRT54GL and I want to upgrade to something that does N. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance. :)

Edited by firefly2442

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up getting the Asus RT-N16:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320038

Hopefully, it's good. Looks like Tomato and DD-WRT work with it. Some of the reviews online are pretty poor but it sounds like Asus released some terrible initial firmwares. But I won't be running those so it should be OK I hope.

Although I have been using Linksys products at home for years (still running a Wireless-G Linksys router) I haven't been too impressed with their offerings since they were bought by Cisco. I bought a pre-standardized Wireless N Linksys router for my office and it was brutal - kept dropping connections etc.

So I have pretty much set up D-link routers for most friends and family and they are less expensive and I think more reliable.

If I were to get a new wireless router now, I would want it with Gigabit ethernet since most mobos have Gigabit network built in anyway.

Yep, it has gigabit. Haven't really noticed a difference since I have a gigabit switch that handles all the local traffic.

Overall, I was kinda disappointed with the Asus interface. So I threw DD-WRT on there. I tried Tomato but couldn't really get it to work. DD-WRT was really easy.