9MS12 - Op Blue glow

Tinker

• 1 month later...

Howdy Folks,

Started playing this last night. Had a ###### of a time getting through Mission 1 on single-player till today. Tough, but what a challenge!

Thank you for it!

That said, I am having an issue with Mission 2 loading up: the loading screen comes up, but then the screen goes black, hangs for a couple of seconds, then crash to desktop. I checked the version I had installed, and it was version "d." So, looked for a patch, downloaded and installed it to version "e," reloaded the last save to Mission 1 so that I could start Mission 2 "clean," and it still CTD on me.

Do I need to restart Mission 1 completely to avoid the CTD that occurs with Mission 2, or...?

After reading through this thread a FOURTH time, I finally caught the detail above about having the team maxed out to five men instead of six so that the vehicle-error doesn't occur.

I'll try the mission again with the above advice in effect till it's remedied in a later update.

Even with the bug, if the first mission is any indication, the second mission is still going to be a real treat.

Not sure what the issues are TBH. Not a SP person here, just try to make them work. Mainly create coop mods. All I can say, is once Rockall is finished, we are building a complete new version for this mod, I will look into the SP side, and try to get things sorted. Rockall delivery date is real soon.

Rockall delivery date is real soon.

Well, in that case, I forgive you then...

;)

Wow!

If there's going to be a major overhaul of Operation Blue Glow, I'll likely temporarily suspend my playing of it since Rockall's arrival is just around the corner.

Not to derail this thread too much, but the whole idea of a fictional island with one's enemies being made up of the "elite of the elite" is too exciting not to drool over. The whole thrust of it reminds me some of Sanctuary's superb Operation Flashpoint mod entitled "WW 4" (check it out here: WW 4 mod on Mod DB).

A neat concept in the sense that he generalized weaponry and gear into an East vs. West concept that just works, and works extremely well. If you haven't tried it yet, DO so. You won't regret it.

Will be working on a revamped version of this mod soon as rockall is done, plus need to patch blood oil again. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Thnx for the link will have a read through. Do have [OFP], just never really played it. Ghost recon, nice small maps, more my type really.

Will be working on a revamped version of this mod soon as rockall is done, plus need to patch blood oil again. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Thnx for the link will have a read through. Do have [OFP], just never really played it. Ghost recon, nice small maps, more my type really.

If you're going to give Operation Flashpoint another go, then PLEASE do yourself a HUGE favor, and try out any of the mods (nearly total conversions, in my book) that have "SLX" in their titles.

SLX, in and of itself, is a superb mod. Graphically, it doesn't "seem" to do a whole lot. It adds smoke trails to rounds from small arms fire, and when I say "smoke trails," I'm talking about ones that are faint, and quite realistic (if you've ever seen any of the sniper footage from Iraq, especially of Juba's handiwork, SLX's rounds are a near-match to those caught on film), canvas tops to supply trucks will now show bullet holes, catch on fire, with doors that actually open on the vehicles. With a little bit of reflection, all of the above goes a long way to deepen the sense of immersion, and can be quite useful. I can't tell you how often that I've gotten pinned down by incoming rounds where I've been clueless as to where they're coming from, and I just spent several minutes laying low staring HARD into the air around me, and then I'll barely notice the thin smoke trails. Yeah, a life saver if one's looking for them.

Body movements are broadened, so that one's avatar can lean (sadly, AI still are unable to do so, but the AI in Ghost Recon rarely lean, so this shouldn't be much of a problem for GR worshipers).

Rounds now produce a snap as they whiz by.

Wind-susceptible smoke now affects AI, and I was so impressed by its effectiveness that it caused me to use the editor for the first time to alter missions so that I was equipped with at least a couple of cans of the stuff. And unlike Call of Duty, where the AI just stop firing at an area flooded with smoke, in SLX the AI will blind-fire into it. Moving under this concealment is still a MUCH better alternative than doing otherwise.

But more importantly, SLX adds suppressing fire effects. And they're truly terrifying. Not only will the AI take advantage of them, but so will one's AI comrades. The AI will pin each other down, and then do their best to outflank the affected region. I would say that a very small minority of people who have tried SLX have ended up "hating" these effects due to the consequences of suppressing fire, but most, such as myself, loved it. If one has rounds flying one's way, then one's breathing and heart rate becomes more rapid, and it becomes more difficult to properly aim as the weapon's swaying due to the avatar's fear. If the rounds get REALLY heavy, one's body will, without notice, drop to the ground in sheer terror. One's mobility is severely truncated, but, honestly, this sudden drop has probably saved my life for a couple of minutes more than it has lost it. The heartbeat can become so strong that it's a challenge to hear anything beyond it, which only escalates the player's fear because if one's in a structure it's now more difficult to hear the enemy AIs movements outside/inside the building. Again, if this seems unfair, please keep in mind that the AI are likewise affected.

One other major feature of SLX that's deeply immersive is "buddy aide." Injuries are much more realistically modeled, with a battlefield rarely being filled with the outright-dead, but rather with badly wounded men crying out for help, or to their mothers. I've been in firefights where the moaning and the crying of the injured is just a terrible and "real" burden to hear, even if one knows that those who are doing the sobbing are only the enemy. It's powerful, and makes me very grateful that I've never had to witness and endure such horrific circumstances in real life.

These wounded men are bleeding out, and if one can get to them quickly enough, can be resuscitated to a degree (based on the severity of the injury, of course). Now, what's truly striking about the buddy aide is that the AI will render it to one another. And it's moving to see these men, however virtual, trying to rescue their comrades. And they're mostly smart about it too. They'll wait till there's a reduction of incoming rounds before they'll race to pull their buddy to an even safer area, to then administer first aid to them. The only drawback to the buddy aide, which some other SLX mods disable, is that they're too quick to retrieve a fallen buddy. Even though it's "gamey," one can deliberately injure an opponent till he goes down, and then just wait for a friend to try and rescue him. One can then blast the rescuer, and repeat. While such events do happen in the real world, the AI seemingly does not have the capability to know when to stop such rescue efforts, because their comrades are being used as bait. Still, one feels downright guilty engaging in this kind of disgusting tactic which most other games don't even come close to modeling.

Any mod for Operation Flashpoint that has "SLX" in its title incorporates a good degree of the original mod's features, but usually with enormous advances to the graphics, with vastly updated models and textures. Make sure to read their Read Me's to see which features they've disabled by default (usually these can be reactivated by making an adjustment to the config file).

I can't recall how well the WW 4 mod interacts with a SLX mod, but it's worth trying out.

Let me know what you think of it, if you get the chance.

• 1 year later...

The Borg Hive is up and seems not password protected. I have the 9MS12 mod installed, yet I cannot join, because I am told I do not have the 9MS mod installed. I think I downloaded and installed 9MS mod in 2011, but I'm not sure if it is the up to date version (I guess not).

The download link on GR.net is down. Where can I find the correct 9MS mod version?

Edit: I checked and it says I have version "1.2.d", so I guess it is the most recent (780MB). Does the server run an older version perhaps?

Edited by Psychomorph

The Borg Hive is up and seems not password protected. I have the 9MS12 mod installed, yet I cannot join, because I am told I do not have the 9MS mod installed. I think I downloaded and installed 9MS mod in 2011, but I'm not sure if it is the up to date version (I guess not).

The download link on GR.net is down. Where can I find the correct 9MS mod version?

Edit: I checked and it says I have version "1.2.d", so I guess it is the most recent (780MB). Does the server run an older version perhaps?

Sunday evenings are 9MS squade nights, and they may be testing some new stuff for the 9MS

mod :ph34r::o=

***EDIT *** Just checked and there is a new version out version 3 i belive check out the download link at 9MS 3.00

Edited by Hammer

Hi Psychomorph, we are running a new mod now as Hammer has pointed out. Shortly to be released here for anyone else to join us, or use. Just our own mod really, that suits our need.

Main problem with our server is, we usually only play Sundays for a few hours, and we usually have a full 9 squad. Plus as you probably seen, we usually have an extra WIP mod running. Tonight we looked at a new map I am working on.

Seem to be a few wanting to play on Wednesdays now too, starting this week. If you would like to join then, 8PM-10PM GMT, or there about, send me a PM. You would need a working mic, plus TS3.

:thumbsup: