[Unreal 3 engine kit] Ghost Recon ?

I was looking at all the new games people are building using the free Unreal 3 engine kit (UDK) and was wondering how viable would it be to build an all new Ghost Recon using this engine? From what I have seen the engine is pretty versatile. I can see an Unreal version of [GR] being made with all the benefits of all the latest technology. Anyways an idea that maybe can become a project.

UDK Homepage

A couple UDK examples:

One of the best ever: Red Orchestra:

Red Orchestra

ModDB UDK Starting Tutorial

And Obviously Some of the "Make Something Unreal" Entries:

Anyways just an idea that I thought with the great minds we have here that not only could it be possible but probably one of the best projects ever done.

This is a very intriguing idea. Had a look at some of the works in progress at the Unreal site and some of it is very impressive.

Unsure about the licensing fees. It seemed they are only required if the game or content is sold for profit?

Not be be naive, the time involved in a project like this would be huge.

Not the first time an idea like this has come up ;) IIRC there was a thread last year where someone suggeted using the CryEngine after seeing a nice mod. There's a thread somewhre round here about someone building a GR-alike on Ogre3D. And of course BFS was building Ground Branch on the Unreal Engine.

IMO the problem's not so much finding a nice engine as finding the resources, time & commitment to get it done. Realistic sims are perhaps the hardest challenge for indie devs - I know of a group working on a flight sim who broke cover when they thought they were maybe a year or so from a demo version... 5 years on that demo is still 'a year or two away'.

- Gache

like I said was just a thought and I know it would be a big project. I still think will all the people who are here that have these skills that if you started it and had a ModDB site you would get volunteers who would join the team. Also an alternative could be a mod over UT2004. Who knows. Wishful thinking maybe.

And I am sure if donations helped I would along with others be willing to donate to the cause. Even if its buying lunch so you can brainstorm :)

Edited by twcrash

I think its a great idea. But alot of work. First it's simply not viable to make a GR clone. You need to make an up to date game based on the GR core concepts. For that you need a well structured design concept. That is much harder than you would think. Getting a small group of avid GR fans to agree on what makes GR GR is not a small task. Then you need map concepts, artwork, gameplay mechanics concepts, squad structure etc. If you got all that down on paper and people liked it and it was professionally done then Im sure you would get quite a few people interested.

Personally if it were me I would limit the project to 4 smallish maps, 1 online gametype and the core movements/shooting mechanics. Just to get people interested.

Edited by BS PALADIN