Fringe

Rocky

Okay it looks like I am 2 years behind on this one, but I just started watching Fringe, from the beginning. So far it looks like the X-Files, male and female leads, supernatural theme, and JJ Abrams.

I think it is up to Series 2 now, so about 40 odd episodes to watch. Worth it or not?

• 4 weeks later...
Cool. I just hired the whole first series on lovefilm!
On the strength of this thread, I've recently watched the first series. I'm very surprised it's not been shown on U.K. terrestrial TV as it aired in the U.S. in autumn '08. I don't really know what to make of it to be honest, but the episodic formula for most of the series was as follows;

First five minutes: Someone or some people will typically be murdered in a mysterious and horrific manner.

The next thirty five minutes: The FBI and the scientist investigates the murder by breaking out the syringes...lots and lots of them, and relying heavily on mobile phones, whilst driving around in large black SUV's and breaking into basements and warehouses. One or two more murders will take place during this time. Gently touch upon a few personal stories, some jovial downtime and some quirky quotes from the resident 'absent minded professor' and 'action it all up' with some small arms fire.

Final ten minutes: Always up against time, the team successfully saves the day, whilst leaving us with another piece of the overall jigsaw puzzle that is the big picture.

I'm looking forward to watching the second series now. ;)

DS

Good synopsis DS. :thumbsup:

It being very much like the typical life of a gr.net member. Especially the part about "relying heavily on mobile phones, whilst driving around in large black SUV's..." is dead on. ;)

Cool. I just hired the whole first series on lovefilm!

That's too freaky, ours hit the doormat from Lovefilm Saturday morning, been meaning to start watching this series for ages.

LMAO, it's YOU that's got it, hurry up mate, there's a queue for those disks :rofl:

LMAO, it's YOU that's got it, hurry up mate, there's a queue for those disks :rofl:
Oh! Blimey...ignore my post. :shifty:

DS

I already read it, it's kind of like I expected it to pan out anyway, it's the same formula for all shows these days.

...it's the same formula for all shows these days.
So too is Hollywood's portrayal of British actors and actresses as often being villains. Even other foreign accents. They usually have posh accents too which I'm sure is their way of suggesting an air of superiority and intelligence and thus fuels myths about the British population. It doesn't help when a Southern sherrif is portrayed as crooked either. Can't British or foreign characters just be part of the team? I'm wating for the day when a major Hollywood villainous character is Gay, Jewish and American. :D

It seems fashionable for Hollywood to cast foreign actors and actresses as Americans. There must be a shortage of talent. :P

DS

Oh! blimey...there is an episode in the second series that features a character that was murdered in a much earlier episode...and it's not a flash back!!! :blink: Wow...that's one bad scheduling faue paux. From what I can gather, it was an unaired [spare] episode from the first series.

I noticed the first series comprises of twenty, fifty minute episodes and the second series is twenty three, fourty minute episodes. Knocking out that many episodes in such a short space of time and be up against time restrictions and scheduling deadlines must be an editors nightmare.

DS

I'm wating for the day when a major Hollywood villainous character is Gay, Jewish and American.
Charlie Prince (Ben Foster), 3:10 To Yuma, Lionsgate- 2007

Harvey Milk <über-villain>(Shawn Penn), Milk, Universal Pictures- 2008

There must be a shortage of talent.
That, or that Europeans are cheap dates.

Charlie Prince (Ben Foster), 3:10 To Yuma, Lionsgate- 2007

Harvey Milk <über-villain>(Shawn Penn), Milk, Universal Pictures- 2008

I meant at the same time.

That, or that Europeans are cheap dates.

Well I can't speak for all Europeans and other nations outside the U.S., but I'll admit that I never say no to a glass or three. :shifty:

DS

Yeh, what I actually meant was the series got canceled before I got around to start watching it.
You didn't miss anything. The show's storyline was flawed IMO and oddly enough, the cast was a 'Brit fest', not just one member. The ones with a sketchy motive, of course had British accents.

I enjoyed watching Journeyman. It aired in '07-08', but tthe network pulled the plug. It was a bit like Quantum Leap without being slushy and too sentimental...and Oh!...What's that?...the main character is a Scottish actor? :rolleyes:

DS