Sniper: Ghost Warrior

I couldn't find this anywhere and and I'm surprised nobody's started a thread about it. Check out these two videos. Before you do however, think about what you've always wanted the successor to GR to look like, play and [possibly] feel like.

Sniper: Ghost Warrior 1

Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2

Sniper games are really one trick ponies and I'm not sure how interactive the maps are ie. whether players can be where their targets are. Blimey though, it's a looker, and the title's a bit of a clue too.

DS

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks okay but to me, if you're going top create a game with as limited a scope (pun intended) as sniping only, it should really do it properly. From a brief browse of the comments, it looks like scant regard is given to bullet physics?

From a brief browse of the comments, it looks like scant regard is given to bullet physics?

This review quote from GamesRadar;

GW is attempting to break away from the waves of other FPS's with a more realistic shooting mechanic, one that takes into account distance, wind direction and target leading; you can't just aim directly at a moving target a mile away and expect to hit him. There's also a focus on stealthy gameplay: tripping alarms and setting off guards will bring a small army down on you, ready to put hot lead in your ghillie suit. The guards are sensitive to sound and are constantly scanning the area for intruders; a bar at the bottom of the HUD indicates how visible you are to your enemies and how much attention you're attracting.
It should appeal to fans of the Sniper series of games that this Polish developer have already knocked out. The review did use the words "generic" in reference to the MP and describing the simplified red dot auto mode as "...may make the game more playable and accessible, but they seem to detract from the realism the game is trying to achieve."

The official website stresses, realism in breathing, ballistics, trajectories, bullet drop and environmental effects such as wind, fog and rain.

www.sniperghostwarrior.com

Destined for the bargain bins no doubt, but to me it has some core elements of GR in it.

DS

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised nobody's started a thread about it.

Considering it's due out the 25th this month hardly anything is known about the game. GAME.co.uk have no box art just a snip of info, gamestation uk has nothing on it. Is this game due for retail in england/uk?.

• 3 weeks later...

Sniper Ghost Warrior is going to hit the stores mid June.

I cannot find info on if there is a coop mode, but the 2nd trailer at the official site seems like a coop mission. :hmm: Looks like a really good game either way. :thumbsup:

*Edit*

SP is there. Will be on my buy list. :)

City-Interactive

Official Site

Facebook

Twitter

Posted today:

New Sniper Ghost Warrior video coming soon! Will explain all details and mechanics of sniping and stealth. Keep your eyes peeled next week!

Is there any multiplayer? None of the writeups that I've seen even mention it.

Anwered my own question - there's a multiplayer trailer here:

Updated question: What different mutliplayer modes are there? Objective-based game times or just deathmatch? Is there a hardcore/realism mode in multiplayer? How big and varied are the maps?

• 2 weeks later...

This looks very very interesting! Definitely on my buy list, unless it comes with Ubisoft-esque DRM. Nice that you'll do an interview with the devs, Paladin. Please make sure to get their take on the GR franchise and whether they were influenced by it, and maybe ask them about their stance on DRM. But most importantly, will this game have mod support?!? :)

Sniper Ghost Warrior is going to hit the stores mid June.

Retail only for the XBOX 360 though, oh well never mind. I just hate steam; it's rubbish and takes too long to download large files for me. If its fairly cheap i might grab a copy for the 360, too dear and i'll wait for a cheap pre-owned later down the line.

No news of a demo maybe, no information on retail products at any of my local video game shops, is this game a hoax :D

Steam are advertising it for release on the 24th at £29.99 for the PC. Review below

Destructoid.com:

“Blending elements from many different shooters and stealth games, Sniper: Ghost Warrior ties everything together through the theme of shooting people from a distance.”

“…Oddly, it was the fact that enemies can actually see you and respond realistically that was the most impressive element to Sniper: Ghost Warrior.”

“The great thing about Sniper: Ghost Warrior is that the “vision cone” of the game is insanely huge, so even though you might be hundreds of feet away from an enemy, they are more than capable of seeing you through a crack in a fence, or from across a canyon. It's a weird little element of the game that I found to be very impressive, something that was oddly realistic.”

The great thing about Sniper: Ghost Warrior is that the “vision cone” of the game is insanely huge, so even though you might be hundreds of feet away from an enemy, they are more than capable of seeing you through a crack in a fence, or from across a canyon. It's a weird little element of the game that I found to be very impressive, something that was oddly realistic.”

100s of feet? that don't sound to far for a sniper :blink: some of the vids seem to have the sniper moving right in close to targets which again seems very unsniper-like.

i am not sold on this game yet - there are elements of this that seem less tactical and more run n gun like the syringes as some sort of health regenerator, however, other aspects look promising. will wait n see.

i think Arma2 and Operation Arrowhead would be better platforms for realistic sniper missions.

They are referring to the vision cone of enemy AI. From what I've seen in the various video clips so far, there seems to be quite a bit of long-distance sniping in the game. Sure hope there will be a demo available soon.

Found some info on Sniper Ghost Warrior, not sure if it's PC or XBOX 360 unless stated.

IGN hands on ..."only one of the two playable characters is actually a sniper. The other missions will be played from the perspective of a more traditional soldier that enjoys his loud, automatic weapons just as much as the next guy. By alternating between these two perspectives, Sniper looks to cover all the FPS bases". I only watched on during a soldier mission which took place on a massive oilrig, and it featured all the usual running and gunning that you'd expect from an FPS, though there was definitely a need to stop behind cover when things started heating up. City Interactive also decided against the standard regenerative health mechanic that's saturated the FPS genre recently. Traditional med kits will be used instead, because the developers want players to have to make a tactical decision about going after health. Ghost Warrior features a focus mode that can be activated to slow down time and highlight potential targets. Sniper: Ghost Warrior Hands-on - PC Preview at IGN

-
-
-