BlackHawkDown

Hi Rahnman , Thanks for your 2 cents.:lol:

I don't see this map being put on any of the TvT servers as part of the regular rotation. Many really good maps have been made by others before this one and they never get used.

I agree 100% with you. About 3 months in to the map, I said the same thing, I also said that this should be a coop map now. I decided to finish it because (1) I was to far in to stop, (2) I what'd to see if I could do it. make a full mission with two sides. And the third reason was, I know that there was so much going on and so many new props in the map, I wanted this to be more of a test map, to iron out all the problems (like the sounds been compatible with Brettzies mod) . then having this map as a coop and fall on it ass. Thats also why I added TDM , S.I.T. HH etc.. This map is real good fun on this types of game play as TVT.

Also, any additions to the English folder will automatically get flagged by the game's anti-cheat. So if a server admin wants to put this map on his rotation, he will have to disable his anti-cheat.

I don't know about that, I had this map on my computer for about 6 months and had the map on a dedicated server many times, and not once did I or anyone else got the anti-cheat or kicking for the game. I don't know why, we should, maybe the game thinks all the files in the local/eng are the main files.

Brettzie - don't get me wrong, I know that it works. I was just try to point out a problem, but reading your second post, you can see where I was coming from.

ps, I used rego_12 because I wasn't sure how many were used up yet and I like that number : ) Plus I wanted to see what would happen without regos in between

It,s funny I don't know why, I am telling the sound setting to look for 100 or for now 98 sound that are not there. ??? if it works I don't ask the question. Have you read the wiki about adding custom sounds, if not have a read and I'll register you to rego_12.

Yes and no. Using Radiator's sound structure of rego xmls makes it easy to add sounds while only having to add xmls and not change the custom_sounds.xml or settings.xml. Assuming everyone keeps those files unchanged, it's just a matter of making sure your sound_rego_##.xml is pointing to your stuff correctly. I didn't understand what he was doing at first, but now that I see it, it does work very nicely.

I spent months trying and testing to get some way so everyone can have sounds, and this was the simplest way. Even if you remove there map/mission and leave there rego_##.xml behind , it will not confect, even thow it's looking for something that not there. but the best thing I like about this way is if that person makes 50 mission and I don't like all of them apart for three mission. I only have to add the mission bundle, no setting up sounds . for eg.. John missions, the only setup I have to do is place his rego_##.xml in my loc/eng folder once, then add his missions when he finishes them. so I can have mission 2, 15, 55 and for the person that just plays the missions, this way seem to be working with 140 downloads and with only one that couldn't get the sounds working. He ever posted back, so he must of worked it out.

The main conflict which requires the patch as well is that several weapons I had to remove to make mp work are placed in the level.There are many cryes placed in this mission

I didn't think about this, should I remove all gun in the coop version, or do you have any suggestions?

I don't know why your sounds don't work as a bundle, when the sounds work in my bundle. Maybe I am misunderstanding you or what you are trying to say about sounds in your bundle. can you help me understand you, come on mate I am just a car part.

(1) Is your bundle placed in the custom_levels folder. If not where?

(2)

As another test, I added only Radiator's custom_sounds.xml and settings.xml to the patch.bundle and then made my mod a bundle. This didn't work, none of my weapons had any sound.

Did my sounds work?

(3) Is your mod looking at my setting.xml or at the settings in your mod?

Because if it is looking at the setting in your mod, well yes it will not work as a bundle. I had the same problem, you need to make your mod to look at the settings in the loc/eng folder, it was the only way I could get the sounds to work as a bundle.

(4) Are your fingers ready to fall off, I've never seen you type so much in one day. :thumbsup:

Maybe we need to get on team speak or something. :blink:

Rad..

Radiator,

I think that Brettzie was referring to the .bundle file that goes in the "mods" folder. I think that when he tried to include the sounds as part of that bundle, they didn't work. So he was left with putting in an override folder in the "local" folder in which to put his sounds, pretty much exactly the same way you did. I think he also had to do this with his intro movie.

I'm suprised that the new files didn't flag the anti-cheat. Maybe you're right, maybe the anti-cheat only searches certain folders.

Cheers,

Rahn

I didn't think about this, should I remove all gun in the coop version, or do you have any suggestions?

It's up to you. If you like using those particular weapons with stock Graw2, I would leave them. If your interested in making it play nice with weapon mods then it's a little unpredictable which ones might cause problems. To add all the stuff I did, I really had to gut and renumber ids to make it work with mp. Sp is largerly unchanged except for the crye, but that's under the hood stuff only. Most weapon mods didn't go to the extent I did and probably would work fine. I hated getting rid of stuff, but it was the only way to make all the attachments work.

Many weapons are still safe with my mod, but these ones would mostly likely cause a crash in mp and the crye in sp:

Mrc(crye), M416, M8, M8compact, Barrett.

Everything else is probably ok to place. The patch I published just replaces any of those.

I don't know why your sounds don't work as a bundle, when the sounds work in my bundle. Maybe I am misunderstanding you or what you are trying to say about sounds in your bundle. can you help me understand you, come on mate I am just a car part.

My guess is that sounds in the mission folder are read slighlty different then those in the local/data/sounds structure. It really makes no sense because they work fine when they are in local/englsih or local/bp... etc. But, once I bundle them, they just don't get read.

Very interesting that if I bundle them as "patch.bundle" and replace the official patch, they work fine. My only theory is that the patch bundle conflicts with mod bundles. I might try downgrading to an unpatched graw and see for sure. Wouldn't be too much trouble, just haven't done it yet. I'd have to get an old version of my mod and bundle it, then give it a go.

(1) Is your bundle placed in the custom_levels folder. If not where?

Nope, it goes in the mods folder. I did try just packing the sounds as a custom level, but that didn't work either.

As another test, I added only Radiator's custom_sounds.xml and settings.xml to the patch.bundle and then made my mod a bundle. This didn't work, none of my weapons had any sound.

Did my sounds work?

Yes your sounds worked when I made those two xmls part of the official "patch.bundle" In theory you could have a community patch that would alleviate the need for including those files with every map/mission. Only the rego would be needed, and yes, the rego's could be added to the patch as well. Modifying the official patch.bundle is a little risky though, not sure what that would do for anti-cheat...might actually go unnoticed

It's cool that it can be done, but I don't know if it's necessary. Putting those xmls in local/english achieves the exact same result. Just makes it cleaner with less files all over the place. The drawback being, everytime someone wants to add a sound_rego_##, the patch would have to be updated. Though, you could just put that rego in local/english and it would still work. Then files are being split again, and it's like...well, what's the point?

(3) Is your mod looking at my setting.xml or at the settings in your mod?

Because if it is looking at the setting in your mod, well yes it will not work as a bundle. I had the same problem, you need to make your mod to look at the settings in the loc/eng folder, it was the only way I could get the sounds to work as a bundle

It's looking at your settings and using english as the language. I will try it again just to be sure.

(4) Are your fingers ready to fall off, I've never seen you type so much in one day.

LOL...yeah, modding this game is like a puzzle. You find out new things and it's like damn it, I wish I knew that two years ago. Getting it all to work correctly and play with other missions or mods is good feeling. I'm sure you must have experienced that when you got all that sound stuff worked out.

Edited by Brettzies

I did try just packing the sounds as a custom level, but that didn't work either.

I just tryed it and it works. I removed all the sounds from the mission, then bundled it, then placed the sounds in a second bundle. It all works fine.

Are any of your sounds, named the same as the original sound ( mrc ) If not, it must be the way it's setup in the bundle.

The way I understand it is, when you startup graw it loads all the sounds. from the weapons, the tree's down to my sounds. Then all the sounds are placed in the big bin , and when my mission triggers play a sound, it finds that sound from that bin and plays it. the same with your weapons, you pull the trigger of the gun and that triggers bullets to leave the gun and to play a sound.

Try renaming the sound in the mrc to blackhawk_intro to see if this works, you must have my bundle in the custom levels, so graw can load the sounds. So when you pull the trigger the intro should start to play, if it dose then we must be on the right track.

I'll have a play after work.

Rad..

So, I HAD to know for sure and re-installed Graw2 with no patch. Had to go all the way back to v1.0 of the mod. This is what I tried:

1) bundled the entire pack, put it in the mods folder, pointed the context.xml to it, no files in english

2) same but with english/sounds/settings.xml

3) bundle in custom_levels folder <---weapons didn't even show up

4) bundle in both mods and custom_levels folder

5) renamed bp_weapons_pack_v1.0.bundle to patch.bundle and put it in the main Bundles folder

1-4 produced no sound and sometimes no mod weapons. I tried it with settings.xml both in english/sound and just in the bundle itself, could never get any sounds to play.

5 worked fine.

So I guess the patch.bundle doesn't conflict with the mod.bundle after all, since there is no patch.bundle in this case. However, the mod.bundle doesn't really work fully either. Strange that leaving the unbundled files in english/... as an over-ride will work, or naming the bunlde patch and sticking it in the Bundles folder will work.

It's difficult to say what's really going on here. Movies don't work either unless placed as over-rides.

I just tryed it and it works. I removed all the sounds from the mission, then bundled it, then placed the sounds in a second bundle. It all works fine.

Hmm. But those are mission sounds. I know it seems like there shouldn't be a difference, but something is definitely different. There is no crashing or error saying a sound is missing, just no sound. I might try removing the actual wavs to see if I can crash it. Then I'd know if it was even looking for the sound.

Are any of your sounds, named the same as the original sound ( mrc ) If not, it must be the way it's setup in the bundle.

Not sure I understand this question, but all of the original sounds for weapons play fine, it's just the new stuff I added that doesn't play.

Try renaming the sound in the mrc to blackhawk_intro to see if this works, you must have my bundle in the custom levels, so graw can load the sounds. So when you pull the trigger the intro should start to play, if it dose then we must be on the right track

Interesting idea, I'll see if I can get it to trigger.

Try renaming the sound in the mrc to blackhawk_intro to see if this works, you must have my bundle in the custom levels, so graw can load the sounds. So when you pull the trigger the intro should start to play, if it dose then we must be on the right track

Interesting idea, I'll see if I can get it to trigger.

Well that totally worked.

I set the M468 w/suppresor(my default gun in Training Grounds) to play blackhawk_intro.wav and changed the top dir(in the m468_wave.xml) to be data/sound instead of data/sound/weapons/bp_sounds. Bundled it up and stuck it in the mods dir. When I pull the trigger it does indeed start to play that wav file.

Tried repacking my stuff as a mod bundle and seperate sound bundle in custom_levels, but still no luck. Do I need to have an actual levels folder or world.xml in there?

Gonna have to call it a night. Spent a little too much time trying to get this to work. Probably going to have to go ultra-simple to figure out where it's getting confused.

Progess Bar starting to fill up.

So, since that little test worked, I figured I would expand upon it. Discovered a few "rules" on the way too.

The first thing I tried was dumping the contents of my sound dir into your mission sound dir. Rebundled and ran. This caused an invalid file path error, which I've seen before and know what it generally means. More on that below. Instead of dealing with that, I simplified things this way:

1) Put my bp_banks.xml, the m468 .wavs and xmls all in the root of your(blackhawk) sound dir. Had to edit out all of the other weapons and repoint the xmls to just look in data/sound and not data/sound/weapons/bp_sounds

2) Rebundled your mission - just doing this for test purposes

3) Bundled my mod with no Sound folder

4) Ran the context.xml with language = english and mod = bp_weapons_pack_v2.06

Went to the training grounds and fired away. This worked. Sounds for the m468 were correct and all other custom weapons had zero sound. That was a good sign. The game is reading the sounds from a bundle and using the mod bundle to "over-ride" other xmls.

Next I tried just making those sound I put in your mission bundle into their own mission bundle. Essentially just data/sound. Ran the game and came up empty. Not sure what's going on here. I may need more then just a sound dir for a custom_level.

Anyway, I decided to go back and see if I could maintain my dir structure which follows the game structure for sounds more or less:

1) added the contents of my sound dir to your mission data/sound dir

2) rebundled

3) Bundled my mod with no Sound folder

4) Ran the context.xml with language = english and mod = bp_weapons_pack_v2.06

This is exactly what I did before, just to reproduce the crash. I'm pretty sure I knew what was causing the crash. Since I've changed the Scar sounds using "over-ride" style modding, any files inside the custom_levels see this as a conflict. The patch I wrote to work with your mission will produce the same style crash if I include that as part of my mod bundle. Since I had to edit this file: blackhawk_down_rules.xml, when the game loads the mod bundle and the mission bundle, it sees the same file in both bundles and says there is a conflict. Of course the solution for my mod is to just put it in a local/ dir and it works as an over-ride.

So I took out the 2 Scar folders and rebundled your mission with my sound contents in it as well. Worked perfectly. All sounds for all custom weapons played. All xmls and dir structures are exactly the same as they are in my mod. I have an idea to get the Scars working as well.

Gonna try some more things but the problem now is, how do I make a custom_level with just my sounds in it, and can I get all this to just be in my mod.bundle. I think the answer to the first one will open up the possiblity for the second one to be yes.

SUCCESS!....mostly.

Sometimes the solution to a problem is so ridiculously absurb that it's hilarious. Of course, it's not something you'd really just know unless it was written somewhere or someone told you, nor does it solve the problem of no custom sounds in the mod.bundle. However, it did allow me to make a bundle for custom_levles with only my sound files and bp_banks.xml in it. Nothing else. I still can't get over the solution. NO DOTS IN THE BUNDLE FILE NAME(other then the one before bundle).

When I was putting my sounds in your mission, I would name the bundle, bp_blackhawkdown, and it all worked. When I would make my own, I like to include the version number so I know what goes with what, and I was using this: bp_weapons_pack_v2.06_snd.bundle. And I'd get nothing. After a while, I thought, maybe the file name is too long. So I changed it to bp_sounds_v2.06.bundle. No luck. This really made no sense at all, but for some resaon I thought maybe the version number is causing a hiccup, and just put bp_sounds.bundle...and it worked.

I spent hours trying to figure this out. Such a simple solution.... :wall:

Then I thought since I always name my mod bundle with v2.xx, maybe that's why the sounds don't work when they are part of that. Well, I tried several different names, bundling each one from "scratch," some with no numbers or version at all. I haven't tried calling it patch.bundle yet, but I'm almost certain there's no way to make sounds work from a mod bundle. Doesn't really make sense why sound wouldn't play, but it could be similar to why bik(movie) files don't play either and are all outside of the main quick.bundle.

Not really sure what else to try at this point in regards to the mod.bundle. Files are still split up, so overall I'm not sure what's better, 2 bundles with a few xmls in local, or just everything in local.

:blink: LOL. I had a good look at your sounds and I don't see much wrong? but I do see an wave.xml that I don't understand .

bp_m4v2_wave_share - why do you have WAVE_SHARE separate from the rest of the wave file and not apart of the main wave.xml?

ie.

bp_m4v2_wave.xml

bp_m4v2_wave_3rd.xml

But you have

bp_m4v2_wave.xml

bp_m4v2_wave_3rd.xml

bp_m4v2_wave_share.xml ???

Can you e-mail me just your bundle of sounds, so we are looking at the same thing.

And have you tested to see if the sounds working at all. What I mean is, we know the sounds are not work with the guns ( when you pull the trigger) but are they working in the editor as a location?

Just start-up your graw2 editor, go to the sound tab and place a location sound on your map. Then type in cue tab - lets say "loop_echo" . You must place the man on the map to hear the sounds. You'll know if the sound works, because the sound location in the editor will go from gray to green.

Do I need to have an actual levels folder or world.xml in there?

No, I just had a sound folder.

Mate, I just re-read all of your post's again. All of 5000 lines. LOL . the only pattern I see is, you keep saying it works in my sounds, but when you go out side of my setup,it doesn't work. even when you bundled it to play the "intro" it worked (or it play a sound "intro") . so to me it must work and must be a setup problem.

EDIT- I just seen your last post and read it, the old black dot trick. :thumbsup:

Files are still split up, so overall I'm not sure what's better, 2 bundles with a few xmls in local, or just everything in local.

I think 2 bundles, the resane why, we have to use one sound settings, so it doesn't get confusing. placing a sound_rego_##.xml here or there, for the public users.

It probably doesn't matter, bundles or local ? but I think one setting outside your mod, in loc/eng/sound

Please e-mail me the bundle. I think we must iron this out , so we all have a code of practice, with sounds.

radiator_ebda@hotmail.com

Rad..

Edited by Radiator

bp_m4v2_wave_share - why do you have WAVE_SHARE separate from the rest of the wave file and not apart of the main wave.xml?

ie.

bp_m4v2_wave.xml

bp_m4v2_wave_3rd.xml

But you have

bp_m4v2_wave.xml

bp_m4v2_wave_3rd.xml

bp_m4v2_wave_share.xml ???

That's pretty much the standard for all the GRAW stock weapons. I just followed what they had in there. Didn't really make sense to me either.

You might have missed my last post, but I did get it working with a custom_level bundle. Yes, the mysterious black dot of doom. My understanding of the folders is this:

custom_levels:(folder)

·works as additions, files that are also in the patch.bundle or quick.bundle, or any other mission.bundle, will cause a conflict and crash out, I'm guessing that's why it's necessary for you to have english/sound/settings.xml

mods:(folder)

·works as an over-ride, mod.bundles go in here (sound doesn't like this)

local/xxxx:(folder)

·over-rides everything, mod and patch bundles and even mission bundles.

I tried putting your rad_blackhawkdown.bundle in the mods folder and pointing the context.xml to it as a mod. After I pick a team, it crashes out with this error on the class selection screen:

Streaming WAV file from bank rad_blackhawkdown_custom_wave not found at path: data/sound\blackhawk_credits.wav

I'm surprised it actually crashes. I thought it would just not play the sound. Anyway, I'm just trying to illustrate that the mods folder works slightly different then the custom_levels. I tried putting my enitre bundle in the custom_levels, but that crashes with file conflicts.

2 bundles is probably the safest thing. My patch for your map would still have to work as over-ride files, otherwise the map will get the conflict error. I'll send you the bundle soon, just been cleaning stuff up after making many messes.

Edited by Brettzies

So to clear things up

(1) Are you using one setting.xml and is that xml in the loc/eng/sound folder or somewhere else?

(2) If John makes a map, with custom sounds in it, does he place his sound_rego_##.xml just in the loc/eng/sound folder or dose he have to place a second sound_rego_##.xml with your mod, so he can play your custom weapons mod ?

(3) Is the only reason you have the blackahwndown.rules in your bundle because of the weapon in the map?

(4) About 4-5 months ago, you said that "There's no way you can get sound to play in a bundle" So are you saying that my white ass was right and your black dot was wrong. LOL

Rad..

So to clear things up

(1) Are you using one setting.xml and is that xml in the loc/eng/sound folder or somewhere else?

(2) If John makes a map, with custom sounds in it, does he place his sound_rego_##.xml just in the loc/eng/sound folder or dose he have to place a second sound_rego_##.xml with your mod, so he can play your custom weapons mod ?

(3) Is the only reason you have the blackahwndown.rules in your bundle because of the weapon in the map?

(4) About 4-5 months ago, you said that "There's no way you can get sound to play in a bundle" So are you saying that my white ass was right and your black dot was wrong. LOL

Rad..

LOL. Let's see, first off, I forgot how addicting modding can be.

1) yes and no. I'm using the your setting.xml and custom_sound.xml, but I'm bundling them into the mod bundle. Just to reduce on extra files. However, the same files inside of local/english/sound will over-ride these. I could leave them outside, but they are identical to the ones you use. I'm putting them in there more for people who haven't used your mission or others like it or even know about the sound stuff. In other words, I'm not inluding a sound dir. But, putting the same files in english/sound or adding regos should work seamlessly.

2) Really depends on how the user wants to setup. Right now I'm planning to have 1 file outside of the bundles and that is the intro movie. I might put it in english/movies. If I put it in a seperate folder such as bp_wpn/movies, then yeah, all regos' would have to be duped into bp/sound. The only other files I'm planning to have are a custom context.xml and .bat file for running the mod and not having to change the stock context.xml. This could work with english, seeing as movie might be the only necessary external file. In which case it should be easy to use. Stock or weapons pack.

3) Yes. When I put this new version out and if those weapons weren't placed in the level, there wouldn't be a need for a weapon pack patch.

4) oooo...Together we make grey I think. I never doubted sounds were playing in mission bundles, I doubted they could be put into the mod folder as a "mod" bundle. In terms of directory structures, everything is setup fine, they just don't play for some reason. I could try putting your sounds in my mod and I'm sure they'd play fine until I bundle the whole thing and stick it in the mods folder. I will say though, I never really thought about splitting them out as a seperate bundle and that your whole sound xml rego solution is really nice for future expandability.

I always wanted to have just one bundle, two is a good compromise, because it does simplify the whole thing. I've found over the years that many many people had problems running bundles - not mission bundles, mod bundles. Extracting it all into one local folder usually fixed all problems. This time around I'm going to build xmbs, so maybe that will help.

Honestly though, at this point, I can't imagine many people are playing this game and I'm not really offering anything "new"...just compatible. A BlackHawkDown skin pack might be good for this though.

Hi all, I got this message form Rico

Posted By rico686 on 29/04/10 20:40:14

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Radiator, some of our members don't have an English folder simply because they come from another country (Polen), They tried to do the same with their Polish folder but got a crash and the same message I had. So we would be very happy if you'd have a solution for that.

He is referring to, where he adds the sound folder.

Is there a fix for this?

Do they just create a english folder then add the sound folder there.

Rad..

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Radiator,

The TAW clan has tried to put this mod on our server but it shuts down the server because it tries to reset the server to a 32 player capacity. Right now we pay for 14 player slots. Is there any way to prevent the mod from trying to change the server settings?

Thanks

Rahn