Ghost Recon.net Forums

Interview with producer Jean-Bernard Jacon

I don't think this has been posted here, a 7 minuet interview by Gamespot with Jean-Bernard Jacon producer of GR:FS. :)

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Interview 1

We speak to producer Jean-Bernard Jacon about why a solider is an F-16 on legs in Ghost Recon: Future Soldier.

http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/tomclancysghostreconfuturesoldier/video/6257677

Apart from the cloaking technology, the game still reminds me of Fronlines: Fuel of War. I'm waiting for the day that people like him are asked questions about the move away from the original game. The XM8 and OICW weren't that futurisitc were they?

Any idea who's working on the PC version yet?

DS

Gameplay, it's a simple concept, not simple to pull off. Not surprisingly, after the AW's, we see more of the same movements into the cinematic. Having the same bits of video cut into the gameplay in briefings etc. as the AW's (from what it looks like) only reminds me that I'm playing a game. At least this is what I'm expecting, we'll see.

This is in contrast to creating a world of solid gameplay that is immersive, one that you can lose yourself in for a time.

All the gadgetry that's 'featured' only moves toward more of the linear choices. Not like freely choosing kits for the squad that you command.

It looks like more hollywood, but when independent films are producing more quality and hollywood is producing so much garbage, it would be nice to see the game production independent from the noise of constant stimulation such as the voice acting that we will likely see.

Who knows, maybe they'll get it right and pull off a miracle by making it so fun to play with the classes in mp and coop. Which would require modding tools and the core of the game to be actually finished unlike the pc sequels thus far. I'm afraid it looks to be shallow with all the super future specialization. Shoulder mounted rocket? Please....

Oh and mighty morphin power rangers unite anyone?

No doubt there's a lot of pressure when it comes to having to sell ideas in board rooms. All of these 'creative and new' ideas seem superficial, just the type of stuff that might be eaten up by big bosses.

If the studio puts depth in beyond that, I will be pleasantly shocked. Everyone: 1-2-3 and hold your breath.

I'm waiting for the day that people like him are asked questions about the move away from the original game.
They are on record -from various interviews- that they saw no reason to revisit their past success with this genre. They are also on record stating that they saw no reason to continue with the new and improved AW concept. Apparently, they are under the impression that Advanced Warfighter wasn't advanced enough.

Whether this determination was made inhouse or with the help of some focus group -not drawn from the current user base and unfamiliar with the franchise- is the great unknown.

The XM8 and OICW weren't that futurisitc were they?
Not on this level, no.

Nor did they have the level of impact (as they were selectable items) on the core gameplay that all of this current gimmickry has, or will have.

Any idea who's working on the PC version yet?
Do you really think that this will matter one bit?

Brutal slaughter of the English language aside (just kidding, I don't really mind) the one interesting bit was the part about the (near-)invisibility cloak working only when you are immobile. Which would would make far more sense from a realism/authenticity point of view. And is completely contrary to everything we've seen about the cloak so far. :blink:

Apparently, they are under the impression that Advanced Warfighter wasn't advanced enough.
Wasn't GR about a near future conflict rather than future military technology? The AW and FS games have moved away from that and focused a lot more on technolgy.

Look at CoD. Those Infinity Ward, Grey Matter and Treyarch studios have knocked out fantastic games. Going from two massive WWII PC titles, we were all surprised and shocked about the release of MW, not just because of the conflict change, but also how beautiful MW was. The opening Cargo Ship level took two years to develop. People are still playing it, and its successor, MW2 is massive. Inbetween CoD4 and MW2, Activision surprised us again and funded a WWII Pacific Theatre game.

What I'm getting at is that Acti' seem to have found their franchise formula and Ubi' have lost their GR and R6 formulas, or perhaps chose to follow a pick-up-and-play console formula. After all, that's where the money is. It's been said a thousand times in here hasn't it?

I'm sure we're all curious as to whom the GRFS PC dev's are. Nobody had heard of GRIN until May '05, but the majority on this site backed them all the way. I'm sure we'll do the same again.

DS

• 2 weeks later...

Lol yeah french accent ( i'm french too) btw you know Ubisoft is not an english studio , well the new ghost recon sound very interesting at my opinion , the only thing that hurt me actually is the new drm system ; let's wait and see . peace (read it with french accent) cheers.

ps : here the french interview

http://www.gamekyo.com/videofr16620_ghost-recon-future-soldier-interview.html

Edited by demonace