GR:FS first look

JohnTC02

I know there has been a few previews posted today but I thought you all might want to read this lengthy report from IGN.

Some things will never change though. Like every Ghost Recon game - and indeed nearly every Tom Clancy branded game - Future Soldier's got a serious hard-on for hardware. Taking place well beyond Advanced Warfighter's 2014 timeline, Future Soldier's technology teeters on the realms of science fiction – although Ubisoft maintains that everything in the game simply builds upon existing prototypes.

http://uk.xbox360.ig.../1083040p2.html

ghost-recon-future-soldier-first-lo.jpg

it sound quite good ill be happy to be away from the whole mitchell timeline for a bit and allow some time to breathe some new air and control a new ghost however i still think they should remake ghost recon 1 and make gr2 for pc but with the same graphics. but ill keep an open mind.

Optical camo – or the predator suit as it's known to anyone outside of Ubisoft - is the most instantly dazzling of the new tools...

Which means that combat in Future Soldier will more often than not involve getting up close and personal, and that's where the new Exoskeleton comes in handy. Again, Ubisoft has run with existing technology and come up with an all-singing, all-dancing version that grants the wearer astounding agility even as they carry up to 300 lbs of equipment, and frees them up to engage in a little Krav Maga should things get too intimate.

Looks like I'm gonna be that guy from Crysis again. I hope Jason Statham is in on the joke too.

Favourites from Ghost Recons past also return. The cross-com is back, its primary purpose being the control of UAVs or to pilot the enhanced Drones.

Will it come with the Narcom again? Because everyone suuuure loved that one! :thumbsup:

Enough fooling around though. Seriously, how about if all of us here promised right now to expect nothing from this game but a cheesy and campy action flick? It'll definitely save us from a lot of headaches later on. Ok, maybe that's a bit too harsh. Who knows? Maybe the story, pacing, and atmosphere this time will actually be pretty good. I'm just saying that all of us here should finally realize right now that [GR] is in the past and there is no way in hell that Ubisoft can (or will) even attempt to recapture that magic from the old days. Let's just...take what we can get from this and find something fun about it (assuming that the game turns out to be good anyway).

From a gameplay standpoint though, I'm still on the fence on what to expect from this game judging from past experiences from the most recent clancy games. GRAW2 was pretty fun (and it still is actually) but I always had to turn the volume down just to avoid any painful effects from the incredibly cheesy voice-acting. Rainbow Six Vegas on the other hand was nothing but a heavily scripted corridor shooter that was as bland as they could come and with the advent of COD4 which is basically within the same genre, I just couldn't find any more reason to play this game again. The fact that actual gameplay footage is non-existent yet doesn't help in formulating my expectations either.

In conclusion, I'm just going to shrug this game off for the moment given the lack of information. However, I must say that the recent trailer looks nice in showing off the new features and if the dev team is sophisticated enough into weaving these things properly into the levels instead of blatantly shoehorning them in crappy scripted sequences that will do nothing but present them as useless gimmicks, we might actually end up with a pretty good game here. If the team that did Assassin's Creed 2 managed to learn from past experiences and actually IMPROVED the product by a pretty good margin, there's no reason why this team can't do the same thing.

And you will notice that the guns in the coke machine pic are current tech. A Scar and maybe a HK416. Maybe an indication of the game RSE are working on.

Or maybe its an old machine from the GRAW days.

Old GRAW image.

One thing that makes me laugh about that picture in the first post is that I would be mightily pee'd off if I was wearing a multi million dollar invisible blanket and that HUGE muzzle flash gave me away :rocky:

I wondered why the ghost is not fully cloaked. I read in CVG's feature:xbox article that the thermoptic camouflage only really aids the Ghosts to get close enough to unleash their new brand of physical hurt. However, when you fire your weapon, the camo switches off and you become detectable.

I read a lengthy article from a tech-site about GR FS and I must say this game won't make it to my PC, too much fancy stuff (the report stated it was a crysis like game with too little balance....) and he obviously wasn't impressed with gameplay. Only the graphics looked "cool" but the jumps and stuff were way over the border.....

Sorry UBI, forrester is out of the house, I'll stick to BF BC2 and maybe MOH and hope for better tactical shooter times......

(and people who know how big GR/GRAW fan I was know what that means......)

Edited by Forrester

They dont care. They care about money. Creativity has been replaced with sellability. Games these days are made based on how many units they can sell. They aren't about making a quality product. I feel video games are moving further away from becoming an art form.

I wondered why the ghost is not fully cloaked. I read in CVG's feature:xbox article that the thermoptic camouflage only really aids the Ghosts to get close enough to unleash their new brand of physical hurt. However, when you fire your weapon, the camo switches off and you become detectable.

It's called a bad/lazy/uncreative attempt at gameplay balancing. It makes as much sense as having to break someone's neck just to be given the liberty to shoot multiple targets in quick succession. :rocky: