For The First Time

Ruin

I finally got to drive my old Corvette. I damn near cried. It was like being reunited with a long lost love. I forgot how much joy that car brings me.

Background story...

A few years ago (April 2008) she just quit. Stopped running. Wouldn't crank, nothing. I was so mad. I just couldn't figure it out. I spent months working on her with absolutely no luck at all. Finally, real life consumed me, I was preparing for deployment, and then I was off in December. She sat in storage until December of 2009. I wasn't expecting to get her out of there until now. I told my girlfriend that I was going to the unit to look at her and just do a once over (seeing as I hadn't seen her since I stuck her in there). She said not to go yet, we had somewhere to go first.

We drove down to my friend's father's workplace. My friend has been like a brother since we were about 15. I saw him get married to a great woman in July 2009 when I was home on leave. He moved to Raleigh, NC (about 3 hours from where I live in Western NC) in December to start work on his commercial pilot's license. Anyway, he conspired with his dad and my girlfriend to kidnap my car. They took it to my mechanic and covered the cost on all the repairs. So we went to his father's workplace and he told me what they did and met with me later to take me to where he had it stored so we could fire her up and get her back on the road.

She's not finished by any means, but she runs... and I can drive her. And that's what matters. I'll get new pics up once I give her a bath.

This easily ranks in my top 3 nicest things anyone has ever done for me. So I had to share. I'm so happy I can't even explain it. :D

Disclaimer (so I don't get called a chauvinist :P ): I refer to my car as a "she" because she has a name. There's a story, but the name was given to her by my uncle (who gave her to me)... Athena. For one simple reason... no one has EVER owned her, that hasn't been in the US Armed Forces. First owner was a Marine, my grandfather was a Marine, my uncle was a Marine (he was never an owner, but took possession after my grandfather passed until I got her home), and I'm breaking the chain by being the first Soldier (Army) to have her.

Thanks Halli. :)

Just gave her a 3 hour bath today. What a process. I love it. Nothing like the finished product. Taking the lady friend for a drive when she gets off work. I'll snap a pic then.

Oh... and soooooo much fun to drive. I've never had a car so hungry for power. I'll be sitting at 2500RPMs in 4th gear doing about 60 and she's just begging to be let loose. That's why I love back country roads. :)

Listen to this beast.

:D :D :D :D

I forgot I had that on YouTube. Thanks for putting it up. I'm going to get a new "drive-by" video of her soon. Got some friends up from Bragg this weekend so I'm busy and not working on her (just driving her everywhere). She also sounds a LOT better now. That video was when she first got running.

I also forgot that I had posted those early pics too. She has come a long way since then. I found a Vette guy in the area I'm going to have look at her and get some price quotes on the stuff I can't do (body work).

Thanks for the replies guys. :)