show of hands for potential purchase (March 2010)

Head Count  

84 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

All in, hook line and sinker.

I'm one of the BIGGEST Ghost Recon fans I know, hell when I first joined the army GR scored me bonus points when my NCO asked me a question he thought I wouldn't know, the nomenclature for the AT4 (M136) Which I only knew because of Ghost Recon and the countless hours I put into it right before joining the army in 2003.

Games change. This is a business, I seem to be one of the few that realize that. They are trying to market to a broader audience. The market for the more hardcore [Ghost Recon] games is no where near as large as the market for games like GRAW and Rainbow six vegas. I understand that, and take the game based on it's own merits. Regardless, the Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six story line is still there, and I find it VERY enjoyable.

If people want a mil sim there are niche games made just for them, Arma and Operation flashpoint for example. Both of which I own and love.

People need to quit crying about the past, and judge these new games on their own merit. If the game is good the game is good, no matter what came before it.

Bloody well said Alien.

Agree 100%.

It's a 2a for me.

As someone who enjoyed the orginal, but didn't play GRAW (my PC spec was too low to run them), I'm intrigued to see where they're taking it. For me GR's always been about the extrapolation of near-future military tech and putting it in a Tac-Sim environment. As Alien said, if I want pure Mil-Sim I play ArmA or OFP (Original and Dragon Rising). MP doesn't matter to me, I want a nice, tight SP experience, with a good story and believable gameplay mechanics.

That said, I'm waiting to see if this is going to be a pure FPS (a la CoD), or more squad-based with the fun-o-meter dialled up a bit (a la OFP). When actual gameplay is shown, then I'll make my decision.

Tim

• 2 months later...

1b. No chance. Call it something besides Ghost Recon: Future Soldier. Call it 'Future Soldier'. But this game isn't Ghost Recon. GRAW and its sibling GRAW 2 weren't Ghost Recon, either. They were lame attempts to recreate an action-movie feel. The only way that I'll ever buy another Ghost Recon title again, is if Ubi sells the franchise, and a developer who actually understands what Ghost Recon was about takes over. Until then, my money is staying in my pocket.

It's not Ghost Recon that's clear but if it's a decent TacSim then I might buy it.

I'll just enjoy Arma2 and OA for now and we'll see what Future Soldier brings.

+1 for ArmA2. I don't have OA yet, but I hope to get it soon.

sadly I've seen enough to make me not buy the game, and contradictionary to MW2 I will not even install it if I get it for free from a friend.... seen gameplay movies and the do not appeal to me the slightest, not by far realistic. People can disguise themselfes with a cloaking device, but soldiers not hearing someone walk 2 feet behind them is utter crap.... sorry can't get more positive on that. And people here know me for my defence of GR, and GRAW I still love those games, but GR FS shows were UBI went..... from a great company to well let me be polite and not say the words.....

My hope is that medal of honour will somehat fill the huge gap, or maybe, very maybe ground branch, pretty please......

[edit] typo's [/edit]

Edited by Forrester

• 2 months later...

Buying this mass marketed FS BS would be accepting, encouraging and supporting what Ubisoft did and is doing with the franchise.. after what i've seen of GRFS there is no way in hell i'd consider a purchase, maybe im only one in a million but my message to Ubi is: "###### THAT!"

UBI's lineup is getting weaker and weaker every year.. they should have realised how much they already screwed up by now.

Nobody cares about R6 or GR anymore.

Changed my vote from fence sitting to:

"All in" (a) - Not exactly buying into the whole :FS shtick, but hey, the market isn't exactly crowded and it might still play OK.

What else is there to look forward to? The GRAW1 maps were probably as big as I like it to go really for me. Anything beyond that, you may as well play the OFP or ARMA series. COD / MOH are fun games, but do not give tactical coop play.

With no mention of a PC release date, and absolutely no mention of any PC details, I`m more worried about if there is even going to be a PC version.