Gorilla Quarry Forest

|J4F|Gorilla

Hi Gorilla,

Ok, I have tried your mission and got the same error as Rahn reported before, you get a error screen with "dav_mine_quarry_forest" in a box with the option to "resume" or "restart".

I have unbundled your mission and had a look at the code.

You have a conflict between the name of your prop in the file "u_dav_mine_quarry_forest_v1_1" and the name of your prop in the world.xml.

In the "u_dav_mine_quarry_forest_v1_1" you have called your mine "dav_mine_quarry_forest_v1_1" but in the world.xml it is called "dav_mine_quarry_forest" this is why you are having the error that Rahn has mentioned.

When naming props there is no need to give the actual prop name a version number, so all you need to do is remove the "_v1_1" from the prop name "dav_mine_quarry_forest_v1_1" in the file "u_dav_mine_quarry_forest_v1_1".

So the first line of code in that file should be changed from:

<unit type="prop" name="dav_mine_quarry_forest_v1_1" slot="13">

To:

<unit type="prop" name="dav_mine_quarry_forest" slot="13">

Then your mission should be ok with the dav mines. When you release a new version of your mission just leave the prop name as I have done above, you do not need a version number for prop names.

I had look at your world_info.xml and like you I couldn't see any problems there so as yet I'm not sure why Rahn had the other problem he mentioned.

This should fix the problem you are having with the dav mines if not the let me know.

Thanks,

John

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gorilla

Just played with Mexicobob on his server. Firstly had no mines but it seems JohnTC02 has the answer to that problem.

Experienced some lag along the way particularly when a heli arrived. I had two tries with a Zeus, both were locked on but niether hit. I think they lost lock due to the jerky movement of the heli. However Mexicobob did manage to take it out using a Zeus.

When I got to trigger 7 the message "Test Trigger 7 " remained on screen for several minutes, 5-10 and went when I changed weapon (played with Rahn mods by the way).

Finally we got to extract and the marker was on the top of the stairs but in fact the smoke turned up at the back of the upper area. I crashed when this was happening so did not see the smoke actually appear but that might confuse alot of players and they might think extraction is not working.

Otherwise gameplay was good with some excellent sniper positions and a good flow to it.

Anthony

Gorilla,

I was going to mention the extraction problem, but Anthony beat me to it. :D

Could you change the color of the smoke at extraction so we do not confuse it with everything else that is smoking at that location. 0:)

Also, the waypoint marker for the extraction is misplace about 100 feet from the smoke.

Playing on my computer, Anthony had a ping in the upper 200's+, but seemed to work OK for him. :thumbsup:

Let me know when you get the mine problem fixed so I can update the daytime version or I may just leave them out of that version. :ph34r:

MexicoBob

Also, noted that I think Anthony had opened the hole with a granade instead of using the C4, I had to go back and plant the C4 and detonate to complete the objective.

Edited by mexicobob

Gorilla,

I restarted the mission again and had no problem with the "you are now the team leader" message. I have no explanation for it. It is probably something on my end.

Also, don't forget about the heli's disappearing abruptly at the end of their patrol time.

Rahn

AGB tested V1.1 this evening as well. We came up with similar issues as everyone else:

- No mines

- Havoc helicopters just disapearing, unless there is a new TAW teleportation laser beam that I wasn't aware of :hmm:

- The final extraction objective "HOLE" just needs to be updated to "Extraction" and put at the actual extraction point.

One of the other mentions that we noticed is that there were some spawning of AI that were in visible range, especially in two areas:

- Coming over the hill and around the bend towards the Mule 1, we saw quite a few night weapons appear in the distance and were able to fairly easily pick them off. Perhaps having that trigger location start sooner to give the AI a chance to scatter. In addition, there is also a sniper that spawns in at the same time that is outside of draw distance and can hit you at the spawn "Checkpoint 1" area as soon as you come out.

- After detonating the tank (which I could plant my C4 - Woo Hoo) some AI were spawned in areas that we had already cleared including a sniper on the main walkway by the extraction. This AI sniper could actually hit us at the spawn point.

After you blow the hole by the extraction, you may want to relocate the spawn point somewhere on the walkway as that run is quite a distance. Our FPS was very good at the extraction, so maybe adding a few more AI.

Thanks for fixing the other issues, especially the initial spawn over by the Hemtt and removing of the EFX smoke & dust that was causing lag. I think the only area where we saw some lag was right after checkpoint #2, but didn't last more than 30 seconds. My average was around 45 FPS, but at the beginning was 110 FPS. There were 3-4 of us at any given time and took us just over 100 minutes with standard weapons.

Great work!!

Bogie

Hello :)

Ok, I have considered all your comments. Thank you for taking the time to test and then give me your impression.

Indeed, I myself tested real mission last night and all the things you've described, I've encountered.

Then it happened?

Without doubt I have wanted to go too fast when I make bundle?

I met with concerns "invalid path" (I am very irritated) and I may be mistaken for files that should not be included.

For before the make bundle, everything worked properly, I would never have dared to introduce a version as rotten :nono: .... yes it is my opinion, this version is simply rotten

But through it would at least have learned the lesson we must take time, patience and ordered.

So for me to forgive, I'll take the files one by one to check everything, correct the mistakes and finally brought me can be (hopefully) will release a version that looks like finally something. :o=

I was much satisfied with my work on the first version, I am disgusted with the result of the last .... I may have been too confident :whistle:

Anyway, thank you all very much for your help ... and now it remains for me to fresh start :yes:

Regards

Gorilla

Hi Gorilla,

You are doing a great job so don't get discouraged. :thumbsup:

Don't worry if you post a mission here that has issues, that is what the beta testing forums are here for, to find these problems before the mission is released to the public.

Take a look back through some of my older threads from early 2009 when I was first starting to make missions, you will find my early missions were full of errors and I made several beta versions before they were ready for release.

The beta testers here are very helpful and patient, they will always help you in any way they can, when they post any problems they find with your mission they are only trying to help you make the best mission possible so it will be a success when you release it.

When I first started making missions I made the mistake of trying to make my mission far to complex and like you got very frustrated when things kept going wrong, I did eventually get it released but was never really happy with it but learnt a lot from it.

So, just do your best and keep updating the mission and post new versions here and the beta testers will be more that happy to test it for you, it can take a few weeks to get the mission ready for release so don't give up.

Thanks,

John

As someone who gets bombarded with requests by different gaming communities, it can be very frustrating to add all of the needs of everyone. The teams on these forums are here to support you and help you find any issues with the map or gameplay so that you can provide the best mission possible.

As John mentioned, my first mission was a train wreck. Your first mission looks like you've been doing this for years! There will always be issues to solve and oppinions on different mission styles, but it is still your mission... so let us know what you need and we will help to support you.

Thanks,

Bogie

Hello :)

In fact, I think I misspoke, it's even harder than I do my best to translate words.

I do not want you to think that I am against anyone ...

I only regret having had the chance to have people like you who helped me a lot and I have not been able to release a version better than the first.

I'm pretty tough on myself (quality and sometimes failing again).

In short, I'm not desperate, I work all day on a new version and I think I have finally solved all problems.

1/ Mines fixed

2/ Extraction point and smoke color (red) fixed

3/ C4 Hole fixed

4/ Havoc must be destroy, They do not disappear as they will not be slaughtered.It further strengthens the tactics of the game

5/ Adding some AI on extraction point

6/ Adding some Zeus before extraction point

7/ Adding respawn point after destroy Tank

For the lag in certain areas is a bit difficult for me to correct the problem.

The only way I found to see where could be areas lag was changing my game settings to maximum ... either:

Resolution: 1920x1080

PhysX: high

All other options set to maximum

Lowest FPS: 77

Highest FPS: 173

So for me no way to set this... i'm very sorry :(

I hope this version will be better than the last.

And let me say again, thank you for your help and your encouragement to all who sincerely go straight to my heart :)

Download: Gorilla Quarry Forest v1.2

Regards

Gorilla

EDIT: Don't use this.... bug at Hole objective and trigger 07 :(

Edited by |J4F|Gorilla

Gorilla,

You are doing a great job!!! :thumbsup:

Discouragement is part of the game, even in real life... It's all about getting back up on the horse and having the courage to move forward. :charge: From what I have seen so far, it does not appear that you have a problem. Keep up the great work!!! :thumbsup:

PhysX: high

I believe GRAW2 has an issue with Physics. :wall: Because additional patches have not come out for GRAW2 and physics has changed since its release, GRAW2 does not like to co-exist to well. I have personally experienced it as well as heard this from other players. So using this as a gauge may not be the best option. I have told many a player that if you have an Nvidia card, go to the control panel on the desktop and "disable" the Physics option. Then all is well. This is not available in the ATI users world though. :hmm:

It appears that by removing many of the special effects that Bogie mentioned, we experienced a considerable increase in FPS. We seem to only experience lag spikes when you spawn in AI, but is it is for a short time. This is manageable so I wouldn't worry about it.

We'll download version 1.2, but won't get around to testing it till Friday night... :blush:

Keep up the great work!! :clapping:

Hello Viper :)

Thank you for reply...

In fact, I used the PhysX and graphics options to max in the hope of seeing my computer to saturate areas deemed to have lag ... but without success.

No lag for me, so I could not set things off.

Regarding the version 1.2, it is not worth the try, I think I was too fast and a big bug appears at the C4 explosion just before the extraction. :(

I am back to work this afternoon and found some things that caused problem:

Anthony say:

When I got to trigger 7 the message "Test Trigger 7 " remained on screen for several minutes, 5-10 and went when I changed weapon (played with Rahn mods by the way).

Now, i know why:

<element type="StartTrigger" name="t_loc_trig07" start_time="4"/>

was present in the trig05 and trig06... so i delete one and it work good now :P

But I still have a problem:

I created a new props (following the tutorial: http://graw2.pbworks.com/Creating-Customised-Props) and now everything works very well for the objective 6 (put C4 and create hole) but I don't have texture on my door :(

Perhaps someone can help me about this?

Thanks

Gorilla

Hi Gorilla,

Just a quick update on our chat. You need to add the line below to your texture_scope.xml file.

<texture_set name="atlas_world/atlas_training_grounds"/>

This will give you the textures for the door you are using.

Hope this helps, :D

John

Gorilla,

Glad to see that you are finding the issues.. That's good!!!

One thing, may I suggest in changing the objective from "Hole" to "Breach". It would make more sense and follow more of a military term.

My fellow Military professionals, please confirm if my term is correct??

Thanks

Looking forward to the new beta!!!

One thing, may I suggest in changing the objective from "Hole" to "Breach". It would make more sense and follow more of a military term.

My fellow Military professionals, please confirm if my term is correct??

Being too old professional soldier, I think the word is good but rather that my translation is bad.

However, in the next version, it is more "breach" but "door" :P

Thanks

Gorilla

Hey Gorilla,

The TAW gang tried out the 1.3 version last night. Mexico Bob was with us. The mines worked well, just ask Reddog. There were two main things that I saw as potential issues.

1) Make sure that you place plenty of fencing around any objectives that can be hit with a zeus from long range. Zero was able to take out the tank from the cliff about where the mule objective was. As a result we didnt need to go to that side of the map.

2) The "hole" objective seems to be a little strange and possibly unnecessary. We didn't do this but it seems to me that it would be possible to go through the quarry first and complete the objectives there, then go back to the entry and work your way up to the mule. Once the mule objective is done, would you have to go all the way back around to the quarry to go up the stairs to blow the door? If so, this doesn't make much sense since you would have to walk all the way around the quarry to get back to where you just were. It may be a good idea to eliminate the "hole" objective all together.

We still had lag, but I won't harp on it anymore.

This is a much better version Gorilla, you are almost home!

Rahn

Ok :thumbsup: so:

1/ The problem with "hole"... (euh breach :P Viper) is fixed.

I deleted and replaced by a door (thank you to John for the texture code)

2/ As rahnman say:

I protected the tank so that it can not be destroyed at long range

3/ The problem with trig07 was fixed

Download here: Gorilla Quarry Forest Night 1.3

Enjoy

Gorilla

Hi Gorrila,

I had a chance to test the day version 1.3 of your mission.

I didn't really find anything else to add that's not been mentioned here already, I think Bogie said that some areas are repopulated with AI after I had cleared them, for me this is not a big issue but it's more of a realism thing as this wouldn't happen in real life.

I did notice in some areas that some snipers appeared where there was none before, one in particular was on the mountain opposite the tunnel where the Hemtt was, I checked that area before I went in the tunnel but after I came out there was a RPG sniper there.

I know this has been mentioned before and I don't like to keep bringing it up but I did suffer with a fair amount of lag in the main part of the map (after the hemtt objective) my frame rate would fall to around 9 to 15 at times.

Some things you can do to help this are:

Look in the world.xml and search for "dynamic" you will find a lot of entries for "barrel_02_lid_dynamic" plus I think there are other dynamic props, all you need to do is delete the "dynamic" part of the prop name so it reads "barrel_02_lid" there are also some "barrel_01_lid_dynamic" and "barrel_02_dynamic" so do the same with these and any other barrels on the map, these dynamic objects can cause some lag so changing them to a static prop by removing the "dynamic" part will help.

Also in your world.xml is a large amount of "xag_tumbleweed" again these are quite recourse hungry props so the best thing is to search for these in your world file and just delete them, they may look nice but will cause lag when using them in a coop mission.

The next thing that will help reduce lag is to remove all the fire and smoke effects in the map, again these look nice but do nothing to help the lag problem, if you look at my mission you won't see any of these effects as I always remove them if I have lag problems.

A few notes on your AI, I see in the world file that you are using patrols of 4 AI (mex_special_forces_patrol4) we have found that the AI will react better if you keep your patrol groups to a maximum of 3 (mex_special_forces_patrol3), I did notice some AI were sitting there doing nothing, this is due in some part to using groups of 4 AI.

One more thing is to reduce the amount of AI you spawn in each group, I had a quick look at your world file and noticed that you spawn over 50 AI in patrol03a, I find this is to many to spawn in one go and will hit your lag problem quite hard, I try to keep the amount of AI spawned in a single group to around 30 and that's normally a maximum amount in my missions.

I'm sorry to pick holes in you mission Gorilla but I had the exact same problems when I first started out, with the help of the community here (mostly Bogie) I was able to learn what you can and can't put in a coop mission.

Don't expect to get everything right with your first mission, once you are happy with it then release it to the public, all you need to do is learn from your fist attempt and move on to your next taking with you what you have learnt from the first.

I hope this is of some help to you, don't worry about asking for help here we are always here to guide you.

Thanks,

John

Hello John :)

I had a chance to test the day version 1.3 of your mission.

Thank you for that but I think the night version is more successful, but the problems that you bishops are common so:

I didn't really find anything else to add that's not been mentioned here already, I think Bogie said that some areas are repopulated with AI after I had cleared them, for me this is not a big issue but it's more of a realism thing as this wouldn't happen in real life.

Indeed, when we destroyed the tank, the AI appear at the stairs leading to the mule01.

Why?

At the beginning of the creation of the mission, I panicked with the positioning of loc_trig.

I have therefore devised a route that would be:

1/ Tunnel

2/ Mule01

3/ Mule02

4/ Adat

5/ Tank

6/ Extraction

That's why I added the AI between the tank and extraction.

While the area was cleaned ... but a patrol returning from mission :P:P

I did notice in some areas that some snipers appeared where there was none before, one in particular was on the mountain opposite the tunnel where the Hemtt was, I checked that area before I went in the tunnel but after I came out there was a RPG sniper there.

A sniper in reality must be patient, hidden and take advantage of events ..... in this case to eliminate a combat group in one fell swoop (that's what I learned during my years with the 2nd Infantry Regiment of Marines)

For cons, the sniper does not fire if the loc-trig02 is activated

For the barrel, initially, they were to join the smoke illuminated to give a semblance of radioactivity in the dark.

I deleted them all.... because I had already removed the smoke.

i deleted all "xag_tumbleweed" too.

A few notes on your AI, I see in the world file that you are using patrols of 4 AI (mex_special_forces_patrol4) we have found that the AI will react better if you keep your patrol groups to a maximum of 3 (mex_special_forces_patrol3), I did notice some AI were sitting there doing nothing, this is due in some part to using groups of 4 AI.

I read in the wiki: "Do not use groups larger than 4 or they will not move."

That's why I put in the mission .... thank you for this valuable information :thumbsup:

I have noted that it is better to reduce the Ai Spawn.

I'm sorry to pick holes in you mission

You need not be sorry if I am unable to understand that criticism can be contructions, it is better that I stop immediately ;)

Anyway, I learned many things and as you say so, the errors this time will help me for future missions.

But before releasing to the public, I would still finish correct some points:

1/ Extraction zone too small

2/ Add AI to the left of the mule 02 in the direction of the stairs

As always, thank you for my learning :thumbsup:

Gorilla

It looks like you have things well under control here Gorilla so I'm looking forward to the release. :P

A sniper in reality must be patient, hidden and take advantage of events ..... in this case to eliminate a combat group in one fell swoop (that's what I learned during my years with the 2nd Infantry Regiment of Marines)

For cons, the sniper does not fire if the loc-trig02 is activated

I have to bow down to your superior knowledge here as I have not been in the Army. :(

I have to bow down to your superior knowledge here as I have not been in the Army. :(

Oh... no... I did not say this with ulterior motive, quite the contrary.

In any case I do wish there have misunderstood :unsure:

Thanks

Gorilla

I have therefore devised a route that would be:

1/ Tunnel

2/ Mule01

3/ Mule02

4/ Adat

5/ Tank

6/ Extraction

I think that it is best if you do not try to have a devised route that you "hope" the players will take, because then strange things happen when the players don't take that route. When our squad plays a mission, we will often do the objectives in a different order than we have done before. It helps keep the game more interesting and gives a mission more "shelf life". If you always do a certain mission the same way, then you can memorize the mission and it quickly becomes boring. This is why I mentioned the potential problem with the "hole" objective. If we were to achieve the objectives in a different order than what you mentioned here it is possible that we could finish at Mule01. We would already be at the extraction area when we completed the mule objective and then would have to run all the way around the quarry to get back to the exact same spot. It would still work out okay, but it doesn't really make that much sense.

Still, I think it would be a lot of work to correct this at this point and the mission "works" as it is. You may want to think about this in any future missions you make though. If you have several objectives lit up at the same time, you are inviting players to do them in whatever order they want and you should place your triggers in such a way that no matter what order the objectives are done in everything will still flow well.

Ciao,

Rahn

Hey there's mo misunderstandings here Gorilla, I was only joking. :lol:;)

Oufffff..... :P

@ rahnman:

With hindsight, I totally agree with you.

I think the fact of wanting to "impose" a path has been poorly biggest mistake on this mission .... nevertheless, I think she is still very playable.

It is certain that I would never do the same mistake next time :whistle: .... i hope

Otherwise, I think that this mission was a great personal success ... in the sense that I learned many things, I did a lot of mistakes which I will not reproduce in the future :)

Now that the corrections are made, it remains for me to release to the public.

This topic can perhaps be closed?

Many thanks for all helper and tester ;)

Gorilla