[Does anyone really play GR still?]

Hello all

Firstly, apologies if this shouldn't really be in the "Off-Topic" forum, but I'm sure it will be moved accordingly.

Secondly, hello! How are things? Did you miss me? What's been happening? And, does anyone really play GR still???

Thirdly, (and the reason for my post) after 3 years I've just re-installed GR. It's been sitting under my PC gathering dust, looking at me, calling me, yearning to be played - and I gave in. I fell under its spell - again. All the mods are back on my hard drive - and I'm still rubbish!

So, apart from GR, is there anything else that just wont go away in your life? I mean in a nice way (don't wont any unsavoury addiciton stories or anything like that.....)

Love

[staff Edit: Thread moved to the GR(PC) - General Discussion forum- Please try to post in the correct forum]

Edited by JohnTC02

The only hurdle is getting PC's set up for LAN (one of my friends have access to a school computer lab so we use those :) ). Once your PC's are connected, it's ridiculously easy. GR is already set up for it, so it's just a question of one guy hosting the mission and the others joining via the multiplayer lobby.

Still playing the old SP missions while using all my favorite sniper mods. I don't play for more than 2 hours though because when the urge to play on a 2000+ meters sized map appears again along with the realization that I suck too much to make my own...well...let's just say depression kicks in very quickly. >_>

• 2 months later...

Typical! Like the initial poster I have just finished tidying out my attic office - and guess what I found, my old Ghost Recon CDs.

I am very tempted to pop them back on, but can I just ask you guys a couple of questions please?

1. I believe I saw a big compalation CD of all teh best mods for sale somewhere, can anyone point me to it?

2. I used to love a mod called 'U*something* Spetsnaz' (forget teh exact title) did any more of this sort come out by the same author?

Cheers all!

;)

BIG-Ranger

Welcome back, Zeko! While I hardly find the time to frequent game servers e.g. at GameRanger and Xfire anymore, I still play the occasional SP and LAN/Direct IP with my friends. Had to move some time ago and 'infected' many friends in my new hometown with GR, so now there's a little community of about a dozen GR fanatics here (girlfriends/wives included), mostly playing Co-Op on LAN at the weekend. Pity I don't find the time to join them more often.

Is this what you are looking for? :thumbsup:

6 DISK DVD GHOST RECON MODS COLLECTION.

Many thanks matey! That's teh one...

I have GR installed again ----- what a blast of nostalgia when the openning intro video played, omg!

Did d quick Firefight solo around Castle to shake off teh cobwebs! One shot kils --- LOL. I have just been playing BFBC2 and if that had teh same one shot kill as GR it would be chaos!

Cheers - Ranger

Edited by Pave Low
O/T Problem discussion has been moved to your Tech Support thread (Please don’t cross post)

• 2 months later...

I was a huge fan of GR when it first game out, and from roughly 2001-2005 I played countless hours online… it was awesome. I never took to GRAW though, and moved onto other things years ago.

I recently wondered whether anyone still played the originals, and came across this thread :D

A couple of questions though, before I climb into the loft to try and find my old disks…

Do many people play it in the evenings UK time, and is it easy to find and get (download) all the mods that are no doubt required to get into the games these days??

Also, can you get into the servers the same way you used to at the start - via the ubi online option when launching the game?

Thanks

Edited by Bones13

• 5 weeks later...

We recently brought together a group of friends to play this wonderful old gem. Some of them had never tried GR before, so it's great fun to play through the campaigns with them. They've all been impressed by how good the game is considering its age, and I can't but agree with them :)

So far we've only played together coop, but maybe we'll venture online some day and see what's avaliable still.

• 1 month later...

Oh yes! I loved it when it was out on Xbox. Now that I have it on PC I have Heroes Unleashed with Island Thunder and Desert Siege. Much better. I think Ghost Recon 2 kinda sucked. I love the graphics but the gameplay and having to do missions a certain way just killed it for me. They should have kept the old school format. I ONLY play the originals. GRAW and GR2 are just terrible in my opinion. But that's just me :)

• 1 month later...

I use to re texture alot of maps even have a few mods out, Thanks to Sleepers teaching. My clan CBA started with GR and we are still playing together to this day. We play many games from Arma to il2. I just seen the post for the mega buy on steam i may have to see if the guys wanna go at it again since there isnt much for FPS games out now. When they dropped GR from Gamespy i think ruined it alot. there has never been a game released like GR since. the replay option was the best i have seen and hasnt been used since except for COD black ops. and works great. The map size was awesom to not being bottle necked all the time and able to choose your attack was nice to. Geez all this talk wants me to yell sensor down on G6 on comms, lmfao